The Whole System Needs To Be Burned Down

Originally published at: https://peakprosperity.com/the-whole-system-needs-to-be-burned-down/

Can this be fixed in time?

And by this I mean can the mind virus be defeated before it destroys our entire system of order and prosperity?

My good friend Peter Boghossian and I discuss the depths of the predicament leveraging his deep knowledge and his up-close-and-personal experience within (and then cast out from) the higher education system.

The conclusion? No. We’re probably going to have to start over.

Burn it down, and begin anew.

So find some empty space this weekend, while gardening or driving somewhere, and listen in.

15 Likes

I bet the girls like Peter’s lack of guile.

1 Like

Who is Peter Boghossian and why? Unlike Chris, he has a wiki page:

5 Likes

Also, buy a battery-powered angle grinder. London knows! :wink:

3 Likes

only got through 57 minutes so far, but was impressed by Boghossian’s spirited, Panglossian defense of colossal “incompetence”.

seemed like he was dealing with very strong reactance towards crossing the threshold, and dealing with the implications of the obvious elephant in front of him, another CIA/Deep State/MIC removal of an opponent, like JFK, RFK, MLK, and others.

as Chris gently probed, Q - ‘why wouldn’t they?’
A - ‘Because it’s against the Law! and, maybe, they swore an Oath?!’

someone’s gotta marinate further in the juices of the Legitimacy Crisis, as many of us have been since 1963 and 2000/2001, because the real question is ‘why would they not?’

At least Trump has finally been given the greatest honor the CIA bestows on its worthy rivals, partially dispelling the perception that he’s just a distracting chump, not an actual threat.

11 Likes

They have conquered the West. It’s institutions, corporations, most of the its structures of power. And they are currently destroying it utterly, the soul and structures of the West are being dismantled.

Does this sound like the work of a bunch of incompetent buffoons?
Does it makes sense that those behind the purposeful and calculated destruction of multi-continental civilization wouldn’t be willing to assassinate a presidential candidate?
Consider the 100 million + people who lost their lives to those possessed by the same strain of ideological pathology in the last century.
I’m not saying it was an inside job or that it wasn’t. But this psychological line that people are simply not willing to cross, that things could actually be THAT bad, is fascinating.

The most common statement I remember from interviews of people who lived through communist revolutions was:
“we didn’t think it could happen here”

13 Likes

At a fundamental level, we need to allow and encourage people to disagree respectfully. The world is highly complex, and so it is not possible for one person to have complete understanding of every possible outcome.

Imagine two different ways of handling things:

Suppose an institution has a problem X, and the top experts of that institution discuss possible solutions, some propose Solution A, some B, or C. Something has to be decided on, so they go with A. But several people disagree. How do you deal with that?

One way is to let the dissidents know that they are still respected, that they have great expertise and also want to solve problem X. When A is implemented, suppose some of those implementing A notice it doesn’t work. Some notice that it creates problems of its own. These reports are allowed to be discussed, experts debate why this is and eventually, after enough evidence comes in, decide to try a different solution. Which, if you want to actually solve your problem is what you should do!

But that is not the way our institutions work. Instead, as soon as a few experts question going with A, they are reprimanded and silenced. You must be on board! You must want to solve this problem and A is the only way. The scientific way. Being anti-A is low status. Only a moral reprobate would be against A. This silences most of the opposition. And the one hold out who continues to criticize A is fired and his reputation is ruined.

Then when people implementing A report that it isn’t working, they too are silenced, mocked, attacked, and fired. So A continues to be implemented even though it does not solve the problem and makes more problems of its own. Welcome to our world.

The problem is that people are stuck in their ideologies, which are simplified versions of a complex reality. They attach moral weight to their policies. They are unable to say, let’s try this, see if it works, learn from it, adapt it to work better, and continue to reiterate this until we come up with a better solution to the problem.

Many people, especially in academics and the government believe ideology before reality.

3 Likes

I think it’s not just that these people live in a world of abstraction, it’s that the abstraction is forced by those who knowingly desire totalitarianism.

12 Likes

Don’t know Peter but I’ve never seen a guy jump through so many hoops to try and explain why this could only be incompetence. I would call him a willful idiot. He knows the truth but still denies it.

10 Likes

My take on the topic described by Chris…

The woke mind virus originated from people with an objective who never intended to engage in evidence based debate. The virus is a psychological tool to achieve a rational but evil objective though the virus plays to the irrational. It has been orchestrated by professionals much as nudge units have been for a purpose with disregard for the morality of the outcome. The virus plays to both the mentally ill and those dictated by psychological attributes played on by nudge units. There are positive reinforcements such as belonging (whether this is to a minority group or the state), respect of peers and inclusion and negative reinforcements such as fear of exclusion, loss of purpose, condemnation, loss or friends or employment and shame.

Constant input from media feeds these vulnerabilities and maintains the inertia of the woke mind virus. Covid exposed just how much of the population was susceptible and many intelligent people (perhaps a preponderance of intelligent people) fell for the narrative.

The Malthusian collectivists seek to destroy prosperity which they see as a drain on resources. They hope for a decimated population while somehow keeping the luxuries a complex system has enabled, for themselves.

Given the collectivists have planned for decades they will have considered threats to their objectives.

If the woke mind virus could be killed it would involve playing to the same psychological vulnerabilities as the virus especially to those that succumbed. More than anything there is need for sense of community, faith, culture and inclusion that comes from knowing your tribe - ie realising you are not alone. Faith in God is a powerful uniting force that the collectivists would hate. Needles to say, blocking the message in the media or finding competitive alternatives would be necessary such as leaflets (referred to in a previous thread). At present there is a narrow window of opportunity following Covid and before the next psychosis used to isolate us. Speaking the truth to others is part of them appreciating a different narrative - that they would not be alone if they entertained a different perspective.

If all else fails we may have to wait for the collapse, if we survive, and do what invariably happens to collectivist regimes - very public torture and elimination of the perpetrators and their offspring.

The Malthusians aren’t wrong about the problems we face. There are just better ways to fix the problems that don’t involve mass murder and returning to the dark ages, perhaps even using the same tools in a more benevolent, considered and humane way. Frankly, this is a lot more marketable and could be used to divide the collectivists.

6 Likes

Theodore Dalrymple is the pseudonym of Dr. Anthony Daniels, a retired British physician. Many years ago (I am old) he wrote a most interesting column for The Spectator (London), “If Symptoms Persist”. At the time, he was in daily contact with British inmates, and his keen observations were spot-on. They still are.

He currently writes a column for Takimag.com. Dr. Daniels is a keen observer and has a solid intellect.

Barry

6 Likes

Interesting, I’ll have to give some of his stuff a read. Thanks.

1 Like

Watching this presentation with this guest was frustrating. This guy lost most of his credibility with me in the first 5 minutes. If a sitting Senator has facts that support the allegation that the Secret Service allowed Trump to go up on stage with the knowledge that there was a credible threat, the public has a right to know this ASAP! I would agree that it would be irresponsible for a senator to say this without a factual basis.

6 Likes

After about 5 minutes I decided to read the transcript, which has a few challenges (Mayorkas came through as Orcas, for example).

Not much new in the conversation.

1 Like

Sure, but those days are long gone. We used to debate about facts and data and logic. At present, we don’t merely have a disagreement within a logical system – our adversaries reject the idea that there should even be a logical system. They see “making sense” as being a tool of oppression. We are literally fighting evil insanity, not merely disagreeing.

7 Likes

Chris I’ve held Peter B in high esteem for years.
I seek out his presentations and read his work.

Something was amiss with his thinking, during your interview today.
It was as though his preformed belief in the importance of his way of applying epistemology was interfering with his ability to truly listen to your arguments and reply to them appropriately.

It’s as though he’s become lost in his own ideology.

He appears to be struggling to deal with the fact that the progressive cause he once championed is not just externally incoherent but deserves to be seriously considered as possibly evil.

Some of Peter’s comments that I found revealing:
• “[When it comes to conversations] I won’t take a side”
• “Just to be very clear I am absolutely not a Trump fan”
• “There’ll be a proliferation of conspiracy theories
• The “Men [today] speaking to young [white] men are toxic [for example Andrew] Tate” – seemingly tarring Jordan Peterson with the same brush without acknowledging his status and positive influence on many men.

Peter seemed to be stuck on the idea that the “Right” focuses primary on DEI as their explanation for WHY everything is wrong – that the Right is wrongly weighting DEI as the cause of our social problems. I would have liked to hear more about how he came to this conclusion.

My impression is that many on the right focus on DEI because it’s one of the few concrete manifestations that they can identify, of a deeper attack occurring against our society. Maybe it would be more helpful for Peter to explore this deeper aspect of “the Right’s” fears about what is happening and why?

He also very unfortunately derailed one of your discussion points into this area, into a focus on the [Right’s] obsession with DEI and its overfocus on what women can and can’t do, rather than what we should be doing, which is looking at individual merit. His argument was poorly coherent, given its genesis, but he lost all credibility for me when he backed it up by comparing a [way too short for the job] SS woman who was unable even to holster her gun (and yes, this is captured on video) and who even blind-Freddy could see was behaving like medical student at a resus; with the competence of one Brienne-of-Tarth, a 6’3 fictional giant from the Game of Thrones TV series.

Peter also made a lot of the fact that the aims of DEI are NOT in the mission statements of the Companies that DEI operate in, as though this somehow illustrates something important about the underlying companies and the fact that there is an intrinsic disconnect. I would see it the opposite; the lack of congruency between a company’s mission statement and its DEI actions would suggest to me that that company is being actively dishonest.

Later, without a trace of irony, he described his take that “the Far Left is mentally impaired and [Peter, are you sure you didn’t mean “but”?] the Far Right is mentally retarded” and then went right on to give the example of [far left] Kamala Harris being a [mentally retarded] “Moron”!

Peter, I will continue to be generous in my assumptions about your undisclosed deeper conflicts…

I was recently scammed. I have no idea of the identity of those who scammed me but scam me they did. It was a malignant experience.
I was left with few facts, but those that have remained most real to me are:
• “THEY” who scam, are real actors, and one’s inability to NAME them in no way diminishes this fact.
[C/W Peter again –“Who are THEY? Tell me? WHO? – said in a way that felt more “gotcha” than graceful]
• THEY who scammed me were not being “incompetent”. They were malign -their desire to take what was mine for themselves, and their glee in achieving that outcome, is real.
• This IS how real people behave. I would argue that this behaviour is at least as prevalent as gross incompetence .

Peter’s insistence that gross incompetence is even still in the ballpark with regard to the Trump assassination attempt was probably the most remarkable to me. I didn’t feel he was really interested in absorbing your research into the audio files. His fixation on having a “video” to prove what went on was, frankly, bizarre.

You then made the incisive comment that either way, if it’s an inside job, or incompetence so severe you can’t tell the difference, then we have a big problem, to which Peter somehow answered by drawing our attention to African American Surgeons.

Your calm at this time Chris, was a credit to you. And when you spoke of the Butler rally roof slope being less than that of a disability ramp, and you pointed out that two lots of snipers were happily ensconced on a far steeper sloped roof, Peter again changed the subject!

I wondered in fact if Peter’s insistence that people [in the West, on the Left] would struggle mightily to cross the divide between bad thoughts and bad actions, was more a reflection on his struggle with his own past, than being a reflection on reality.

This was impressed on me further when he revealed his belief that “dirty bombs will be snuck into Western Countries within the next few years”.

Hang-fire a minute there Peter, you are attributing deliberate, malign, brutal motives to non-westerners with little [?any] concrete evidence to back up your position on this, with not even so much as a shout-out to the fact that maybe these people too, are somehow going down this pathway because they are good, but incompetent people, being manipulated by others.

I suspect that if you had gone down the good but incompetent people pathway, then you would need to acknowledge also the presence of a THEY doing the manipulation of these incompetent people, and then, by your own standards, you would be obliged to name the THEY.

Could it be that it’s helpful to focus on people’s malign motives but only on those occasions when it helps one avoid the appearance of possibly being a considered a conspiracy theorist?

I do think Peter’s comment that maybe he was being “myopic” was his most insightful.
But his follow up – that he thinks “we possess some unique difficulties now” and which he rationalised by saying that “I don’t remember this as a kid growing up” is somewhat more problematic. It’s a fine comment to make when you’re talking about the insects disappearing; the concrete fact of insects present vs insects absent. It’s a completely different ballgame to believe that your ability, as a teenager, to discern the nature of adult interactions on a national scale carries any weight at all in determining the uniqueness of society today.

I would argue the opposite - that although we have dressed our windows differently in the new millennium, the human dramas directing those issues are the same as they have ever been.

He then reduced the answer to the dilemma of the human condition as it has for ever been, into “We need to focus on K-12 education”. I get what he was saying but it’s like he’s missing the bigger picture behind even education.

Chris you earned your stripes big time for me today, in the way you dealt with Peter’s analysis of the facts. One could say, you were a good friend to him and you reached out across a divide I’m not sure he even consciously recognised that he was maintaining.

33 Likes

Thanks for the great summary. I will save my time.

9 Likes

As a religious conservative pro-lifer, when I was in college, in the late 80’s/early 90’s, no one ever cared if I was uncomfortable. And I was uncomfortable a lot.

12 Likes

I don’t disagree with any of the criticisms of Peter’s responses. As a professor of philosophy it was strange he didn’t define or realise many of the assumptions he was making for his own arguments. He presumed that incompetence was a more responsible explanation for events than entertaining malfeasance for which there might be evidence. He was also seemingly blinkered about what constituted good evidence. He had faith in the notion of an “independent inquiry” and didn’t hear Chris’ concerns and evidence for why the FBI might not act in an independent way.

However, we have been swimming in this topic for weeks and Peter was clearly unfamiliar with Chris’ research. The interview was interesting for seeing the reaction of an intelligent person who is not familiar with the topic or perhaps not that concerned by it either. He seemed tired. It was good to have him there at all, and great that he was willing to engage in discussion. He seemed to be evolving his opinions to some extent and admitted that he had not committed the time that Chris has. I believe he will go away and think again. He would benefit from hearing the gun shot sequent in different locations, looking at the different report times and seeing the different echo responses. Many of us have become experts of a sort thanks to Chris’ relentless work with the input of some dedicated members. Chris handled the interview amazingly well and Peter didn’t “hear” the logic behind Chris’ arguments but that is real life. He is an influential person and worth informing through reasoned argument. No one is perfect but I understand why Chris respects him and invited him along.

8 Likes

I like Peter but did find it odd that he first admits falling for the Hunter laptop scam on the basis that all those intelligence officials wouldn’t lie about it, and then minutes later defaults to the same ‘they wouldn’t do that’ assumption about an assassination attempt.

14 Likes