We’re Not Going To Make It…

Actually, Alan, I’m not particularly looking for an optimistic spin, but an assessment that is as realistic, honest and well-documented as possible. I asked the questions because I’ve done a bit of research and thinking myself, and have some expertise on one of the big issues (grid integration and hours to days ahead PV production forecasting due to weather).
I don’t buy the claim this is at all a done deal. PV is still tiny especially when you consider all energy use, not just electricity. It has not yet scaled up which will likely bring up big challenges in the areas of raw material limitations, capital costs, electric grid integration, and extension to uses that are traditionally non-electric (transportation, especially shipping, air and trucking), construction and mining, cement manufacturing and some other mineral refining, etc. It has gotten to this stage in electricity penetration due to huge subsidies, both explicit and implicit - especially not paying anywhere near the full price of grid integration for an electric source that has a huge, predictable daily cycle and large but not so predictable variability due to clouds.
I’m curious where you stand on the claims in your posts whether your own or those you cited. Do you believe them? Or do you have your doubts. I was under the impression that you do believe them, but perhaps I was mistaken. A question, though: if you do doubt them, why bring them up without mentioning that fact? Because of that, your posts certainly came across to me as cheerleading for the solar will save the day crowd.
If you do believe them, I’ll leave it up to you to parse through the sources you refer to (but don’t provide specific links for). as I would assert that it’s your job to support your own claims. This is just a hunch, but I bet the “experts” (and I put it in quotes because the optimistic spin part raises a red flag for me about the seriousness of their analysis) that you cite have not done their homework on these questions and probably haven’t even considered some or most of them. The optimistic spin part is my biggest clue.

Quercus bicolor wrote:
PV is still tiny especially when you consider all energy use, not just electricity. It has not yet scaled up which will likely bring up big challenges
Still tiny, and growing at a spectacular rate. As for the challenges of scale-up: yes, some. I say that the challenges will be met and steam-rollered by overwhelming demand for safe, clean, cheap renewable energy. But maybe I'm wrong. We'll find out. Opinions and speculations don't really matter, do they? Only the unarguable facts of what has happened. So far the renewables skeptics (like the IEA) have been 100% WRONG. Embarrassingly wrong. But maybe that will change. Maybe they will suddenly start being right! We'll see, won't we? HEY: Let's meet here every year for a quick spot-check on the progress of renewables. How about it? I hereby commit to show up right here, on this thread, once per year for at least the next 10 years. (I've already done it for the last couple years.) If I am wrong I will publicly EAT CROW and confess to you and the world that I am an idiot. And if you are wrong... well...?
Quercus bicolor wrote:
It has gotten to this stage in electricity penetration due to huge subsidies
True that subsidies have helped a great deal. Too bad that subsidies for FFs and nuclear have greatly exceeded the subsidies for renewables. If the huge subsidies given to dirty, dangerous, expensive energy resources had been given to renewables, then we would be at least 10 years ahead of the curve right now, probably 15-20 years. Ah well. It is what it is.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
I'm curious where you stand on the claims in your posts whether your own or those you cited. Do you believe them?
You would have to be specific. Do I believe WHAT, specifically?
Quercus bicolor wrote:
if you do doubt them, why bring them up without mentioning that fact?
I doubt everything. But not equally. Some things are much more doubtful than other things. Further, I think it important to read a wide variety of views, including and even especially views that one disagrees with.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
your posts certainly came across to me as cheerleading for the solar will save the day crowd.
Renewables will probably continue growing at a phenomenal rate. Whether or not that will "save the day" depends... for starters on what you mean by "the day", as well as what you mean by "save".
Quercus bicolor wrote:
If you do believe them, I'll leave it up to you to parse through the sources you refer to (but don't provide specific links for). as I would assert that it's your job to support your own claims.
True. But my claims were modest. I did not speak of "saving the day". As for specific links -- if you are serious about getting answers to the questions you were asking -- do you know about google? It works really good. It is my job to support my own claims, but it is not my job to do your research for you. Thanks, anyway.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
I bet the "experts"...that you cite have not done their homework on these questions and probably haven't even considered some or most of them.
They have, between them, done a great deal of homework. Much more than you or me. But you'll have to find out for yourself. And you will, if you're serious. Oh btw, add Amory Lovins to the list. And Joe Romm. And surely others that I am forgetting at this moment. There is a whole world of literature that the typical doomer (and I WAS ONE) ignores and/or does not even know exists. It all begins with opening the mind to things unfamiliar and viscerally repellant -- inconsistent with current belief. You don't need me to guide you; you can do it yourself, if you're seriously interested in pursuing the truth. I am no longer a doomer, and I am not a cornucopian either. I am a doubter of all speculation, especially ideologically-informed speculation, and a believer in unarguable facts, statistics. When the fact is that solar pv installations doubled last year, THAT I BELIEVE. Everything else, I doubt, to varying degrees. Including my own speculations. Here's an easy-listen Joe Romm vid for you:
-- "What you thought you knew is obsolete"

One bit of evidence that PV is still tiny, is that the curve of usage, which should be a logistic function, still looks exponential.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_function
It isn’t exponential, and won’t be.
Also, I said “should be logistic”; that isn’t accurate either, because some other energy form may overtake it, causing more of a curve like what you see in peak oil. Or we might have a population crash (or boom) in human terms, which would also affect the curve.
Granted, a population boom seems highly unlikely to me; but it isn’t impossible.

A few specific responses, as promised:

Quercus bicolor wrote:
First, are you talking about PV supporting business as usual or some sort of scaled back conserver society?
I am not talking about either. I posted a few facts about striking solar PV installation increases. What society chooses to do with the energy is a different thing.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
we'll need to scale this up by a factor of multiple hundreds or more have global impact. Can this be done without resource constraints or environmental impacts causing the cost curve to bottom out and begin to climb significantly, even precipitously?
Resource constraints -- probably not a problem. Which resources did you have in mind? What are you worried about? Environmental impacts (climate change) -- a major problem no matter what we do, and could ruin everything if the worst-case scenarios come to pass. But then, if the worst-case scenarios come to pass, all bets are off on ALL fronts, and the hit to the renewables buildout will be the least of our problems.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
Remember, once solar is scaled up to a substantial fraction of the grid, storage needs will escalate tremendously to provide electricity during cloudy periods and at night.
Battery cost will continue to plunge. Pumped hydro will be installed in many utility-level systems. There are other options. Look into it. It is an interesting subject. Here's a couple links to get you started: Ramez Naam on energy storage (and a bunch else; follow the embedded links): http://rameznaam.com/2015/04/14/energy-storage-about-to-get-big-and-cheap/ http://rameznaam.com/2015/10/14/how-cheap-can-energy-storage-get/ Remember also that solar is just solar; it can't do everything. Wind is the perfect complement: more power from wind at night and during the winter -- the precise opposite of solar. The various battery/storage options are needed for modest smoothing, not for heavy lifting. Also, need for storage depends on need for energy, and in the case of motor vehicles this can be drastically reduced by materials technologies that reduce vehicle weight. See Amory Lovins here, start at 13:00: youtube.com/watch?v=7UF0lUcSei0 You might want to listen to that whole (Lovins) vid, since he describes the efficiency improvements that will drastically reduce the need for energy in general, while maintaining the same functionality/comfort/etc. Most of our energy is wasted, and the correction of most of this waste is not difficult; hence the actual amount that we need to get from renewables is only a modest fraction of current energy use. As for your concerns about scalability: those concerns are being addressed right now, on the ground, and will continue to be addressed as the buildout continues. Do you anticipate the effort hitting a brick wall suddenly? When? Why? ...to be continued...

alan-
I asked your opinions on these various scenarios because, in other places, you spoke in absolutes. I felt like I was listening to the Popes of old speaking on matters of faith. Ex Cathedra, they call it. “I’m Pope, and what I say is infallible.” Did you mean to speak this way? That’s sure how it comes off.
For instance:

Battery cost will continue to plunge. Pumped hydro will be installed in many utility-level systems...
I hear you saying this is a guaranteed outcome, and in a near-term timeframe too. I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'm thinking, its not guaranteed at all. Lots of unpleasant events could derail this outcome, some for quite a while. Yet when I ask you directly for your specific assumptions, you plead ignorance. "Who me? I have no special expertise." And yet when it comes to the path of tech innovation, you have no problem speaking Ex Cathedra on matters that have these assumptions built into literally everything. Now then, regarding assets and liabilities, China, the West, etc. First some background about me. I've spent lots of time in Asia, I even speak (one of the) languages, after a fashion, which turns out to be super useful in understanding culture. Long story short, I'm fairly well plugged in on the realities - both good and bad on the ground. My sense is, China has good stuff, and bad stuff. Lots of awesome trains, that's for sure - a match for anything I saw in Europe. Pollution too - and we know pollution kills. Their pollution is really bad. Corruption. And a massive property bubble that's just guaranteed to end badly. A huge manufacturing infrastructure that employs a large number of the population, designed to service the West's desire for consumer products. As long as the West keeps buying, China will continue to move forward, even with the friction from pollution and corruption. The whole thing is powered by a constant expansion of private debt. That's my view of China. Now then, about assets & debt. Your claim was that China has invested in stuff. This implies that all their debt was backed up (more or less) by assets of roughly equal value. The trains? Let's say you get 50% credit on the trains. They're great. How much money was siphoned off through corruption? I'm guessing, a lot, just based on my knowledge of how Asia (outside of Hong Kong) tends to work. But still, good trains. I'm a fan. I wouldn't be a holder of debt that was underpinned by those train assets, but even after the (likely inevitable) default, you'll still have trains left, and that's a good thing, not a mal-investment. Likewise, the factories are good stuff, many of them. All that equipment will still be there if the debt blows up. But then there is property. Do you know about the Minsky Financial Instability hypothesis? Debt goes through phases: hedged borrowing, speculative borrowing, and ponzi borrowing. China is well into the Ponzi borrowing phase when it comes to housing. Ponzi investment = malinvestment, by definition, since the debt taken on is not being paid back by an economic return from the property. From all the cases in history, this phase is guaranteed to blow up. There is NO MYSTERY about what the outcome will be. Price eventually drops back down to state #1, usually by a lot of defaults and write-downs of property prices to 50% or 75% of what they paid. I'll say it again: ponzi investment = malinvestment. There might be $1 of "true economic value" for every $3 of debt. I think TAE is right in this area. West has a similar situation. When your rents don't cover your payments, it never ends well. The ponzi phase will go on for long enough to convince everyone that "it's different this time." (It isn't, and never is) A likely trigger for this guaranteed ponzi disaster in China is a "problem in the west" that throws all those people in China's manufacturing industry right out of work. The combination of massive property losses plus massive unemployment could - very easily - could cause a revolution, if the West gets sick enough, for long enough. Do you know how that will play out in China? I'm pretty smart. I spend a good chunk of my time living in Asia. I even speak the language, one of them anyway. I have no idea how it will turn out. I believe there is a disagreeably high chance that, if we get that 30-year depression in the West, the PRC will have an involuntary change in government. It was apparently close in Tienanmen. How will battery tech development cycles fare during a revolution? My guess: poorly. What will be the situation after the revolution? My guess: chaotic. It's not the ideal environment for doing R&D. How long could it take before the West has its problem? Heck, it could happen next year. Or not. That can keeps getting kicked down the road. My sense: you're overconfident in your assessments in how things "must" proceed. Its a recency bias. Sure, if we remain in the status quo, I agree with you. I saw Moore's Law do fantastic work over my lifetime. I'm conditioned to agree with you. But after studying the causes of the 2008 crash, I just don't think the problems will come from tech.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
2 This summary comment on Prieto and Hall's review of photovoltaic performance in Spain shows their conclusion that large scale PV in Spain at an EROEI of 2.45:1.
Prieto and Hall's analysis is probably fatally flawed, and in any case is seriously inconsistent with the work of many other scholars who have looked in to this subject. This was in reply to Alice Friedemann's review of Prieto & Hall's book:
Quote:
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2015-05-11/how-sustainable-is-pv-solar... Hi Alice, The calculations in that book have serious mistakes which invalidate their conclusions. The authors are wrongly counting energy consumption as energy investments, are not counting the recovery of embedded energy upon recycling materials at the end of plant lifetime, are underestimating the lifespan of PV cells by wrongly assuming that lifetime is exactly equal to the warranty period, are performing incorrect lifetime aggregations, and other problems. You can read more about it here: http://bountifulenergy.blogspot.com/2015/05/six-errors-in-eroei-calculations.html When those errors are corrected, solar PV (including all infrastructure) has an ERoEI higher than 5. That is sufficient. -Tom S
The best and most current analyses put EROI much higher. Bhandari's meta-analysis, probably the best, puts EROI for solar pv somewhere between 8 and 34. See my pile of links, below this post, for Bhandari's paper, first/top of the list. And most significantly, as Mots pointed out, EROI of renewables RISES over time, while oil/FFs FALL. Below I've attached a pile of links and snippets on EROI and energy payback times. I make no claim for comprehensiveness. Just use this list as an aid in your own investigation of this matter.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
3 The capital costs for this transition represent real use of current technology and resources to build out the new infrastructure, especially the use of fossil fuels, minerals and skilled labor. Will sufficient quantities of these resources be available for the build out without starving essential functions of our current system for resources?
Do you think fossil fuels, minerals and labor will be limiting? Why? We have plenty of all.
Quercus bicolor wrote:
How would you perform an analysis to show this?
How would you perform an analysis to show the opposite? I am not qualified to do a formal analysis. But others are. Your own Ugo Bardi (a limits-to-growth guy from way back) just published one. It found the transition ambitious and challenging, but do-able -- which seems to me a reasonable conclusion. They complain in the very last sentence of the paper about "deceleration in RE [renewables] deployment", but apparently they did not yet have access to the striking figures for 2016, which show that things are accelerating, not decelerating. here:
Quote:
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/9/094009/meta The sower's way: quantifying the narrowing net-energy pathways to a global energy transition Sgouris Sgouridis1,3, Denes Csala1 and Ugo Bardi2 Published 7 September 2016
.......................................................................... My pile of links and snippets on EROI and energy payback times: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S136403211500146X Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Volume 47, July 2015, Pages 133-141 Energy payback time (EPBT) and energy return on energy invested (EROI) of solar photovoltaic systems: A systematic review and meta-analysis Khagendra P. Bhandari, Jennifer M. Collier, Randy J. Ellingson, Defne S. Apul "The goal of this study was to do a systematic review and a meta-analysis of the embedded energy, energy payback time (EPBT), and energy return on energy invested (EROI) metrics for the crystalline Si and thin film PV technologies published in 2000-2013.... The mean harmonized EPBT varied from 1.0 to 4.1 years.... The mean harmonized EROI varied from 8.7 to 34.2." -------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.bnl.gov/pv/files/pdf/236_PE_Magazine_Fthenakis_2_10_12.pdf How Long Does it Take for Photovoltaics To Produce the Energy Used? By Vasilis Fthenakis "energy payback times (EPBT)...currently are between six months to two years, depending on the location/solar irradiation and the technology. And with expected life times of 30 years, their ERRs are in the range of 60:1 to 15:1, depending on the location and the technology, thus returning 15 to 60 times more energy than the energy they use." -------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.clca.columbia.edu/7B_SolarToday%20June12_c.pdf [EROEI of 60 for thin film solar in the USA Southwest based on First Solar's 11.9% efficient panels in 2009. The solar cell level efficiency as of August 2014 is 21% for First Solar, so now it is more like 85 to 1.] -------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S096014810900055X Renewable Energy Volume 35, Issue 1, January 2010 Meta-analysis of net energy return for wind power systems "This analysis reviews and synthesizes the literature on the net energy return for electric power generation by wind turbines.... Our survey shows an average EROI for all studies (operational and conceptual) of 25.2 (n = 114; std. dev = 22.3). The average EROI for just the operational studies is 19.8 (n = 60; std. dev = 13.7). This places wind in a favorable position relative to fossil fuels, nuclear, and solar power generation technologies in terms of EROI." -------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.firstsolar.com/en/technologies-and-capabilities/pv-modules/fi.... [For First Solar, just the cell, mounting, cabling and recycling leaving out the inverter has an energy payback time of about 0.65 years so the EROEI would be about 38.] -------------------------------------------------------------- ancient history: http://peakoil.com/energy-technology/radical-new-eroei-to-be-expected-fo... Post subject: Radical new EROEI to be expected for solar PV Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 "Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development and Innovation...says that they expect "energy payback time" for a polycrystalline PV module to be only about one year within as little as two years.... If you assume a conservative lifetime of 25 years (guaranteed by the industry), you automatically get an EROEI of 25. If you are more realistic you can expect a solar pv system to last 30-40 years, giving you an even higher EROEI." -------------------------------------------------------------- does EROI really matter? http://bountifulenergy.blogspot.co.at/2010/09/eroi-doesnt-matter.html Monday, September 27, 2010 EROI doesn't matter ...to be continued...
davefairtex wrote:
alan- I asked your opinions on these various scenarios because, in other places, you spoke in absolutes. I felt like I was listening to the Popes of old speaking on matters of faith. Ex Cathedra, they call it. "I'm Pope, and what I say is infallible." Did you mean to speak this way? That's sure how it comes off. For instance:
Battery cost will continue to plunge. Pumped hydro will be installed in many utility-level systems...
I hear you saying this is a guaranteed outcome, and in a near-term timeframe too. I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'm thinking, its not guaranteed at all. Lots of unpleasant events could derail this outcome, some for quite a while. Yet when I ask you directly for your specific assumptions, you plead ignorance. "Who me? I have no special expertise." And yet when it comes to the path of tech innovation, you have no problem speaking Ex Cathedra on matters that have these assumptions built into literally everything.
No, Dave, I am not assuming tech innovation. It takes no innovation for battery prices to keep plunging. All it takes is further production increase. Economy of scale, is the whole thing. It is true that battery technology could improve, and maybe batteries would get still cheaper as a result, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about simple production increase, which is happening, and there is near-100% chance that it will keep happening for a long time. Same with pumped hydro: it is a simple, off-the-shelf technology. It works real well in many real-world installations. It is certain that it will be applied more widely, as the renewable build-out continues. Some storage is needed, and pumped hydro is a go-to option in many situations. So yes, I am speaking "Ex Cathedra" in the sense of high confidence, but not in the sense you mean, of arrogance, and assumption of superhuman powers of insight and prediction. If I say that it is near-100% certain that the earth will continue revolving, and therefore that the sun will rise tomorrow, that is not an extraordinary claim. Neither is the claim that batteries will continue getting cheaper. It is a no-brainer; there is no controversy about it. Would you seriously claim that batteries will NOT continue to get cheaper? If so, then I want to make a large wager with you on that very point. Say, $10000. We can put our cash in escrow with a third party. Actually, I'm joking. I would not make that bet, because I would not want to take advantage of you. It would be like you betting on the sun not rising tomorrow. I would not mind winning a bet, but it has to be a real bet, not an absurdity. Above, I wrote about "near-100% certainty". Where is the uncertainty? It is in the fact that it is ALWAYS possible that some bizarre thing might happen that changes the outcome. An asteroid could hit the earth. Strategic nuclear war might break out. A once-in-a-century financial crash might bring everything to a halt (temporarily). Etcetera. Hence we are never 100% certain about anything. And yet, in most common parlance, we speak of being completely certain about things -- like the sun rising tomorrow -- without burdening ourselves or our listeners with cumbersome provisos about bizarre, one-in-a-zillion possibilities like asteroids hitting the earth. And that is the way I often speak: with complete confidence, not mentioning those one-in-a-zillion possibilities. Batteries will get cheaper, I'm certain, barring invasion of earth by hostile aliens. (Did I really have to include that last part? Really?)
alan2102 wrote:
Would you seriously claim that batteries will NOT continue to get cheaper? If so, then I want to make a large wager with you on that very point. Say, $10000. We can put our cash in escrow with a third party.
I'm not sure you've understood the point. When the debt bubble pops then everything gets cheaper - including human life. I imagine batteries will become outrageously cheap since credit will become so sparse that buying batteries will be the least of everyone's worries. Who wins the bet then? One simple truth that I've come to learn over the past 3 years is that asset prices are a function of debt. In an era of cheap credit house prices, bond prices and stock prices continue to ascend. Scale back the debt and then we get to see the true price of everything.
alan2102 wrote:
it is ALWAYS possible that some bizarre thing might happen that changes the outcome. An asteroid could hit the earth. Strategic nuclear war might break out. A once-in-a-century financial crash might bring everything to a halt (temporarily). Etcetera.
I forgot the generic legal term for this kind of thing: FORCE MAJEURE. Wars, revolutions, riots, hurricanes, credit bubble burstings, etc., etc. This is used in legal documents, not in common parlance. It is a useful term, however, and highly relevant in this dialog. I should not have forgotten it.

Luke, I’m not sure you understood my point. My point was that batteries will certainly continue to get cheaper, barring a force majeure (see above). A force majeure is an unpredictable, low-likelihood event. You might be right about batteries getting cheaper after a debt bubble collapse, but it seems to me more likely that they (and every other useful tangible thing) would get a lot more expensive – for a short while, or perhaps a longer while if your country was in such bad shape going in to the crash that recovery takes years or decades.

http://rameznaam.com/2016/09/21/new-record-low-solar-price-in-abu-dhabi-…

New Record Low Solar Price in Abu Dhabi – Costs Plunging Faster Than Expected

Posted on September 21, 2016 by Ramez Naam
The price of solar power – in the very sunniest locations in particular – is plunging faster than I expected. I’ve been talking for years now about the exponential decline of solar power prices. I’ve often been called a wide-eyed optimist. Here’s what those projections (based on historical learning rates) look like.
Future Solar Cost Projections - PPA LCOE In fact, if anything, my forecasts were too conservative. The solar prices I expected have been smashed by bids in the Middle East and in Latin America. I will need to update the model above in a future post. The latest record is an incredibly low bid of 2.42 cents / kwh solar electricity in Abu Dhabi. That is an unsubsidized price. Let me put that in perspective. The cost of electricity from a new natural gas powerplant in the US is now estimated at 5.6 cents / kwh. (pdf link) That is with historically low natural gas prices in the US, which are far lower than the price of natural gas in the rest of the world. This new bid in Abu Dhabi is less than half the price of electricity from a new natural gas plant. What’s more, it’s less than the cost of the fuel burned in a natural gas plant to make electricity – without even considering the cost of building the plant in the first place. The solar bid in Abu Dhabi is not just the cheapest solar power contract ever signed – it’s the cheapest contract for electricity ever signed, anywhere on planet earth, using any technology. Nor is this bid a fluke. Three other bids in Abu Dhabi’s latest power auction came in at less than 3 cents / kwh: Bidder Bid per MWh (in USD) Masdar, EDF, PAL Technology 25.4 Tenaga, Phelan Energy 25.9 RWE, Belectric 29.1 Nor is it limited to just Abu Dhabi. In Chile, just a month ago, a new record low price for solar was set, at 2.91 cents / kwh. That record lasted less than 5 weeks. In Mexico, the average price of new solar bids in April was 5.1 cents per kwh, and the cheapest solar bid in Mexico was 3.5 cents per kwh. These price improvements are not coming primarily from the price of panels dropping. They’re coming from reductions in the total cost to deploy solar, increases in solar capacity factor, ever-lower operating costs, and fierce competition to win bids in the solar industry. The solar industry is learning faster than expected. Now, let’s watch and see if energy storage prices can drop as fast as solar.

alan-
You seem to believe that a debt bubble pop is some Act of God which cannot possibly be anticipated. I on the other hand believe it to be a very predictable result of a well-understood process, namely, the third phase in Hyman Minsky’s Financial instability Hypothesis.
If you are really enthusiastic about placing some sort of bet, I’m fine with that, but you need to be specific on just what it is you’re predicting, and you get no “Act of God” exceptions. If for whatever reason your endpoint doesn’t happen, you lose. (I.e. I will not accept you pretending that my central point is some unpredictable Act of God. Nice try!)
The specificity is important too. Nobody cares about cheap battery prices unless they are in electric cars in large enough numbers to move the needle on oil consumption.
Example:
“By 2020, electric cars will cost the same as gasoline-powered cars. They will have 300 mile ranges, they will constitute 50% of the auto production in , there will be enough solar panels deployed to power the fleet of EV cars, and as a result, in 2025, oil consumption in that country will be down by 30%.”
That’s just an example. Feel free to design your own prediction. If it doesn’t move the needle, then I won’t care, and neither will anyone else.

davefairtex wrote:
You seem to believe that a debt bubble pop is some Act of God which cannot possibly be anticipated.
A debt bubble pop, like a strategic nuclear war, or a revolution, or several other things falling under the heading "force majeure", is not an act of God; they are acts of humans. They cannot be anticipated in the sense of predicted, though they can sure be speculated about. For example, the hypothesis you cite of Minsky, amongst scores of others. For my whole adult life -- over 45 years -- people have predicted meltdowns, collapses, busts, depressions, and so forth. Many of them claim "mathematical certainty" of collapse within X number of years. Further: YOU, AND THEY, MIGHT FINALLY BE RIGHT, one of these years. Maybe some year quite soon! How's that? YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT. SOON. Though it is much more likely, in any given year or decade, that you will be wrong, (and many like you have been wrong for lots of decades), it so happens -- IMO -- that the current crisis situation might well reach a breaking point over the next 5 years or so, and all the doomers who had been predicting collapse for the last 2, 3, 4 or more decades will have their moment of vindication. Many will howl with righteous delight: "See?! I predicted this!" Yes, they predicted this with laser accuracy -- leaving aside the previous ~35 years of failed predictions. (I am not counting the GFC of 2008 since, though it was a major crisis, it did not result in collapse worthy of the name. No collapse in the sense that most mean it when they use the word.)
davefairtex wrote:
If you are really enthusiastic about placing some sort of bet, I'm fine with that
I'm not, for the reason I mentioned.
davefairtex wrote:
Nobody cares about cheap battery prices unless they are in electric cars
Why confuse things? To deflect attention from the issue? You quoted me (correctly) saying that battery prices would continue to plunge. Then you launched into the "Ex Cathedra" thing -- accusing me of being arrogant and overconfident in making such a claim. Well, you're obviously wrong. My claim was modest, actually a no-brainer which no one would disagree with (not even you!). Cop to it. Then, go find another quote from me that might plausibly be interpreted as reflecting arrogance, an "ex cathedra" attitude. You might find one. LOOK. Then re-accuse me. Accusations are fine, but they have to have a shred of reality, or else they are boring.
alan2102 wrote:
Time for a few updates. On the China front (which is to say a large fraction of the total global picture): https://thinkprogress.org/with-millions-of-jobs-up-for-grabs-china-seize... Feb 28, 2017 China smashes solar energy records, as coal use and CO2 emissions fall once again We are witnessing a historic passing of the baton of global leadership on technology and climate from the United States to China. snip Beijing plans to invest a stunning $360 billion by 2020 in renewable generation alone.... In 2016, Chinese coal consumption fell for the third consecutive year, Beijing reports, while it installed almost twice as many solar panels as it had in 2015, which was also a record-setting year. Beijing projects both trends will continue in 2017. China's solar installation target for 2020 is likely to be achieved in 2018, which as Greenpeace's Energy Desk noted in January, is "a pretty impressive feat given that the target was set only a couple of months ago."
I had to go back to where this all started to get some sense of what was being discussed. Just to point out; consumption does not equate to installation - it's the whole 'apples and oranges' analogy. The brazen quote of "Chinese coal consumption fell for the third consecutive year, Beijing reports, while it installed almost twice as many solar panels as it had in 2015, which was also a record-setting year." gets a shrug of the shoulders from me. Did Chinese consumption of solar power match the fall of coal consumption? Now that would be a headline! Essentially I'm looking for a Watt for Watt comparison. BP release their annual statistical review of world energy in June so i'll run the numbers then (it's about the only source that I trust). Don't get me wrong, I would love this to be the case. But I get excited by data and not snappy headlines - it's a nerd thing :)
davefairtex wrote:
I've spent lots of time in Asia ... Long story short, I'm fairly well plugged in on the realities - both good and bad on the ground.
That's fine, Dave. But it has little to do with the macro picture that I was talking about. Being physically present is a great way to learn about indigenous food, clothes, cultural particulars, but not about industrial production, national assets, environmental status, and so forth, in aggregate. I am not impressed with personal on-the-ground experience when we're talking about the macro stuff. It seems nevertheless that you do "get it" to a slight extent about the China macro picture, which is good. Better than most Westerners; better than TAE, though that says little. A few comments: Corruption: very very bad! Almost as bad as in the West. Doesn't seem to have hurt development; hell, might even have helped it. Backgrounder: this article, and links at bottom: http://www.inpraiseofchina.com/trust-and-corruption-in-china/ Pollution: very very bad! But then, what do you expect? It is a rapidly developing country. The U.S. was the same, at the same stage of development. Further, the Chinese have vastly more environmental remediation efforts underway, including but not limited to the Great Green Wall. They'll likely clean up their act in ~20 years, rather than the ~60 years that it took us. Property bubble: is it a bubble? Maybe. That's what Western liars say, and they may not be lying in this instance. Hard to say. But, regardless, in an asset-rich context, deflation in that sector would not be nearly as bad as it might and will be elsewhere.
davefairtex wrote:
As long as the West keeps buying, China will continue to move forward.
That was true in 2000, 2005, and perhaps 2010. It is changing rapidly. They now have a vibrant consumer economy, ~$4 trillion in size (annual), and headed higher. They don't need us like they used to. Western chauvinists (i.e. 99% of Westerners) hate to face that fact.
davefairtex wrote:
Your claim was that China has invested in stuff.
Not a mere "claim", but a fact.
davefairtex wrote:
This implies that all their debt was backed up (more or less) by assets of roughly equal value.
No it doesn't. I don't know the proportions, the degree of backing. All I know is that in absolute terms, they have a fantastic asset base.
davefairtex wrote:
China is well into the Ponzi borrowing phase when it comes to housing.
Yeah? This is the kind of thing that China bears say all the time. They say it constantly, literally for decades. And yet, somehow, the "ponzi" never melts down, the "bubble" never bursts. I am not saying there is no bubble, no overheated buying. Maybe there is. But I am skeptical. I also know that there is vast and pervasive anti-chinese racism, and generally Western chauvinism, mixed with toxic American exceptionalism, which all adds up to crazily-undue skepticism about Chinese development and accomplishment, and wild predictions of imminent Chinese collapse -- wrong consistently over several decades. It is quite a scene, and you are partaking of it, just like TAE. Below I quote Godfree Roberts. He is a very knowledgeable guy, a long-time student and observer of Chinese systems, and proprietor of www.inpraiseofchina.com -- a great website that will teach you much more about China than you could learn by merely walking around there. Here are a few of his comments on nextbigfuture.com:
Quote:
Godfree Roberts For 40 years FT, The Economist, WSJ and Western media in general have created their own 'analyses' of why China has too much debt or too little income and will therefore crash and burn. Other media, like John Williams' Shadowstats, do the same for the USA. Ignore those propagandists. They have NEVER been right, Ever. The trustworthy reports come from from international agencies like the World Bank, the BIS and the OECD -- because they compare apples to apples (instead of counting US Social Security, for example, as an 'unfunded liability' when it is funded by a tied tax under an Act of Congress) AND they have access to every country's books. AND their predictions have been far more accurate than the media's nonsense for 40 years. .................................... Godfree Roberts Our media tend to overstate China's debt fragilities. In real life corporate net debt is near zero, private savings are $3 trillion, home ownership at 90% is largely mortgage-free, foreign reserves are $4 trillion. The proof is in the numbers. Not just headline growth, but stable and low inflation, strong wage growth and rising tax revenue. According the the World bank, China's debt to GDP ratio is amongst the lowest in the world. In this chart [Debt to GDP Chart http://www.inpraiseofchina.com/2015/09/chinas-debt-is-exaggerated.html ] you see the two dimensions plotted. What is not shown is relative rate of growth -- which is the principal means for gauging repayment of the debt. If growth rates were included then China's debt would be negligible. .................................... Godfree Roberts China has negligible debt: about 108% of GDP according to the World Bank, which is laughable considering its rate of growth (which is the measure of capacity to repay debt) and the profitability of its debt (200%-300%). China's debt fragilities are over-stated. They don't threaten the model. In real life, corporate net debt is near zero, private savings are $3 trillion, foreign reserves $4 trillion. The proof is in the numbers. Not just headline growth, but stable and low inflation, strong wage growth and rising tax revenue. Debt to GDP Chart http://www.inpraiseofchina.com/2015/09/chinas-debt-is-exaggerated.html
Be sure to go to that link and read carefully: http://www.inpraiseofchina.com/2015/09/chinas-debt-is-exaggerated.html Further:
Quote:
http://www.physorg.com/news168010919.html China first out of global financial crisis, says leading expert July 28th, 2009 snip --- when the financial crisis struck, Chinese financial institutions suffered no significant losses --- In China, there is no need for de-leveraging since household, financial sector, and government debt is very modest --- With strong domestic financial institutions, Chinese banks are now expanding lending while banks in other major economies are scrambling to raise additional capital --- China has accelerated its program to encourage a transition to more consumption led growth.
Hmmm. Not bad, eh? Surprising that it made it into the Western press (physorg). Well, every now and then they slip up and let something pass that does not support the usual anti-China narrative. Dave, you read too much biased, anti-China "news" from lying Western media -- just like TAE does. And as a result you have a distorted picture -- just like they do. You write of a "guaranteed ponzi disaster in China", but that is a wild speculation, surely based on Western media lies and exaggerations. And you say that I have a problem with Ex Cathedra statements?! Look in the mirror, friend. You are the one who is "overconfident in your assessments in how things "must" proceed [in China]" -- assessments based on Western propaganda. "Guaranteed", my ass!
Luke Moffat wrote:
The brazen quote of "Chinese coal consumption fell for the third consecutive year, Beijing reports, while it installed almost twice as many solar panels as it had in 2015, which was also a record-setting year." gets a shrug of the shoulders from me.
Not from me. That's GREAT news. ANY fall of coal consumption is great news, meaning we're heading in the right direction. Maybe not fast enough -- it is NEVER fast enough, is it? -- but the right direction.

Aloha! I want to point out that I believe a lot of what Dave points out is true. While you cannot walk around Wall Street in 2007 and get that Bear Stearns and Lehmans would collapse you can get other red flags which I believe are indicative of excessive debt and margin. We all recall them in hindsight. The flood into the Tech bubble stocks and janitors getting McMansion loans following the advice of multiple “house flip tv shows”, which have seen a resurgence of late.
When I see people quoting expert analysts I cringe! Even Mad Money boy had to go on Oprah to apologize to everyone he advised to buy Bear Stearns stock the Friday before the weekend when Bear Stearns made their Sunday bankruptcy announcement. He ruined a lot of people’s financial future like the “smartest guys in the room” did at Enron! My former CPA was fallout from Enron when he lost his job at Arthur Anderson. Dominoes do happen!
To site one “expert” in China is ludicrous. How many credit agencies had AAA ratings on the junk that brought down half the financial industry including AIG who “guaranteed” a lot of that worthless paper. Lets not forget that the only thing that saved the US financial industry was that second visit to Congress to threaten the US government with financial Armageddon if they did not get their TARP. They got their TARP! The middle class got mugged and it has never been the same since.
There were some survivors from the Wall Street 2007 holocaust. One was Hawaii. Why? Because Hawaii does not like the big New York banks. Ever been here? Try to find a Bank America branch. No Chase high rise buildings in the Honolulu skyline. Perhaps that is why China survived the “US banking crisis”! In fact all through the 2007-2009 banking crisis Bank of Hawaii was rated one of the top five strongest US banks.
Then we get to the smoke and mirrors. These were the hypothecated and re-hypothecated assets that nobody knew who owned them. Some of those “assets” actually turned out to be huge repo liabilities once covered in AAA paper. If you do not know the “H and ReH word” google it!
I do believe whole-heartedly that Europe will stumble financially. Anytime one of the biggest trading partners falls down there is a ripple effect. There is no “expert” alive who would know the exact repercussions of that event. Even the politics in Europe is changing as it is in the USA. There is uncertainty. That alone causes people and businesses to cut spending and creates less desire for risk. Do not point to the stock market as proof of anything. Even in destitute Germany of the 1920s the stock market soared because people would move their cash into companies for safety as the government debt and its currency was completely discredited. Something that tends to repeat simply due to human nature, which is the only part of the Ponzi puzzle that never changes.
All in all I do not believe in “experts”. People who claim to be one or claim they swear by one because they have 40 years experience at some bank or credit agency forget that both Bear Stearns and Lehman Bros were 100+ year old institutions filled to the brim with highly paid “experts”! All of them now “non experts”! About the only success any of us can hope for is that we have had more winners than losers in our portfolios when we’re laying in our hospice bed! But even then it would matter not …

I’ll take that flurry of words you wrote as “no, I can’t/won’t come up with an explicit scenario.”
Nobody cares about either batteries or solar panels unless they get installed in large enough numbers to move the needle. They have to affect the system, or nobody cares.
As for your amusing charges of racism, anyone who knows me and my life would laugh at you. (In fact, when I read it, I laughed at you). Nice try!
I think there is certainty about China’s banking system blowing up. I do not think the WHEN is certain. I think the same thing holds true about the west. Our fortunes are tied together. I believe China knows this. They’d love to avoid both Japan’s 1990 fate, as well as the US 1929 fate. That’s pretty clear from all the statements I read from them. I’m just not sure how they’ll do this. Do the same rules not apply to them as they do to us - laws of financial gravity and so on? We’ll find out - and soon, I think.
It all comes down to this: if we go the next 10 years with the status quo (roughly) intact, then we’ll probably get to your EV happy point where there is price parity with FF units, shortages will be worked out of the supply chains, and as a result a large number of units are shipped, solar panels will power them all, and as a result oil consumption will drop significantly.
I put the odds of a near term (next 10 year) very severe credit accident at perhaps 60%. My definition of that event is, “people stop borrowing money for just about everything, for an extended period of time.” That’s why I’m willing to bet with you. That still gives a 40% chance you’ll be right, and we’ll all be picked up and dropped off in auto-driving Tesla robot cars that we’ll all be sharing, powered by ubiquitous solar panels that provide power that’s too cheap to meter.
To sum it up, I believe we have two differences:

1. You seem to feel the odds of this credit event are very low and simply not worthy of consideration, I think its > 50%, and TAE thinks it is 110%.
  2. You seem to feel that such an event, even if it happens, will have little impact on our march towards our EV future. Both TAE and I feel that such an event would have a very large impact on world systems; on supply chains, corporate balance sheets, consumer demand, political system stability, and the desire/ability to execute R&D programs.
    If I got your position on either 1) or 2) wrong, I invite you to clarify.

Alan2102- you may have your experts I have my experts.
Jim Rickards, previous guest of Chris on Featured Voices
“The thesis on China is independent of the election of Donald Trump. And Trump’s policies. There are bigger things going on in China that are true regardless of Trump’s policies, even regardlesss of his presidency.”
“China is going broke. And when you say that, people roll their eyes, and say what do you mean China is going broke? It’s the second largest economy in the world, it’s got the largest reserve position in the history of the world, it’s got a big trade surplus, and all those things are true. When I say China is going broke I don’t mean that China’s going to disappear or their civilization is going to collapse, What I mean is that they are running out of hard currency. They are going to get to the point where they don’t have any money, or at least any money that the world wants.”
Rickards goes on to explain the following:
End of 2014, China reserve position = $ 4 trillion USD (largest in the history of the world) due to the excess of trade balance
Today = $2.9 trillion, they have lost $1.1 trillion USD reserve position in a little over 2 years
Of the $2.9 trillion, about $1 trillion is not liquid- invested in hedge funds, overseas mines in Zambia, etc
Of the remaining $1.9 trillion, about another $1 trillion will need to be held in reserve to bail out the Chinese banking system. About 25% of outstanding loans are bad debt, supported by the typical 5-8% reserve capital, so banking capital is completely wiped out if 25% is bad debt. The Chinese banking system is technically insolvent, even though they cook the books. So China will have to bail out the banking system (as they have done in the past) with probably $1 trillion.
$900 billion of liquid assets left
Reserves are going out the door presently at a rate of $50-100 billion a month. China will be broke by the end of 2017. Where did the $1.1 trillion go from 2014 to 2016 and where are the reserves going- the Chinese are getting their money out. Luxury condos in Sydney. Scared of the yuan devaluing.
China is trying to maintaining its currency peg to the dollar (to effectively keep the yuan from weakening), so the central bank is taking its dollars and buying yuan, It cannot work, they will go broke, it always fails. China has few options, they can close the capital account- which takes them out of the international monetary system, which they can’t do. They can raise interest rates to 10% to keep yuan from fleeing, but if they raise interest rates, they will go broke faster due to the bad debt issues.
So the only choice is to devalue the yuan. Which will reverse the current policy of strengthening the yuan, the policy since 2014. China was devaluing from 2000 to 2014.
On Aug 10, 2015 China devalued the yuan 3% in two days and the U.S. stock market fell immediately 10% from Aug 10-31. The Fed propped up the stock market with happy talk, didn’t raise rates etc. and the market turned around, what will happen if China devalues 5% or 10%? (end of Mr. Rickards paraphrase).

Alan2102, you and your in praise of China friend may make some factually correct points, but it's built on a house of cards and that house of cards is an assumption that China can sail along with a stable banking system, stable currency market, stable trade market, and stable domestic economy. You're assuming a consumer economy that is not sitting on a hair trigger that will flee the yuan and not shut down consumption at the first sign of a crack in the economic growth miracle. All of those things are false. Points in China's favor: Command and control economy- libertarian-minded folk like me hate this but objectively I have to admit that it's helpful in times of crisis to be able to shut down entire markets, order state controlled industry to do this and that. I'm sure it's bad in the long run, but probably useful in times of crisis. A growing domestic economy- not as good as you would like to think, since you seem to forget that the $4 trillion is spread across 1.5 billion people (very unevenly, by the way), versus a $16 trillion US economy across 300 million people, but I digress An export driven economy with a positive trade balance. And an economy built on a manufacturing base which is more desirable than an economy built on the base that the US has- services, financial jiggering of worthless bits of digital debt money, over-priced drugs and medical devices, ridiculous lawyer economy, bloated government sector. However, a lot of that Chinese manufacturing base makes silly stuff like Star Wars light sabers and low quality flashlights, but I digress. Points not in China's favor: An export driven economy. The next global debt and currency crisis will shut down cheap Chinese imports so fast it will make your head spin. As the American and European consumer get crushed by our unsustainable debt backed system, as pension failures start to roll, and the inevitable recession crushes U.S. Federal tax receipts, and Mr. Trump cashes in on his promise for punishing China for currency manipulation, and corporate and private debt tries to cope with tiny but rising interest rates, this will trigger predictable corporate and personal defaults, slowly at first, then very fast, nobody will be much in the mood to buy Star Wars light sabers at Walmart. Let's add to the mix an American cultural civil war that is on full display as Democrats have gone totally bat crazy now and seem to have political policy platform that has devolved into only generating generate government crisis after government crisis. Chinese citizens will start to panic and get out of yuan denominated assets faster and faster, probably into PM and commodities, hard assets, as inflation due to the devaluing yuan starts to grow. Then we will see how the Chinese miracle export economy fares. An economy not built on innovation but cheapness of labor,and a few natural resources. Technology and productivity increases are really the only way to stably grow GDP via productivity increases, except for simple growing demographically, and neither China nor especially Japan or EU are doing that. The U.S. has always greatly excelled in innovation and will continue to do so. But I acknowledge that a full blown banking/ debt/ currency crisis can overwhelm the innovation sector if investment fuel gets cut off. Widespread corruption. This always leads to problems. No one trusts Chinese economic numbers. They lie about their gold reserves. They lie about their bad debt ratios, they lie about their GDP. This exacerbates economic downturns and currency runs because an underlying foundation of lying plus corruption and fear creates a 'get out quickly and ask questions later' mentality, versus a calm patience that everything will work out eventually. Guess which consumer and national psychology leads to bank runs and economic collapses. A huge shadow banking system that is invisible and uncontrollable. See above re corruption. The corruption formula applies in an amplified way to the shadow banking system. (Sadly the degradation of the American moral fiber and cultural bankrupting in America is leading us to a very China-like state of governmental and national corruption, which will end equally poorly). Please count me in on that bet. I'm way closer to 100% probability than Dave's 60%. Normalcy bias and wishful thinking loses out to actual reality every time. H Edit- And like Dave, I'm not racist. Please save your demagoguery for someone else.

If we ignore alan’s silly charges of racism, I do think there are some important deeper points here.
After spending the last few years working with AI, I believe there are some technical (technological) fixes that will help us out a lot, but I’m just not sure we have enough time left in this cycle to see them rolled out. I see a reasonable parallel with his observations about solar and battery tech.
Take AI. If you combine self-driving cars and a sharing mechanism (city car share), there is probably a revolution in there. Saving the capex cost, parking, insurance, repair cost, while keeping the availability of transport for city dwellers would be awesome.
What’s more, in an emergency, all by itself, AI-equipped cars could double the mileage of our existing fleet. How?
Even if they still use gasoline, every AI-equipped car can be a hypermiler. That’s an instant gas consumption improvement which could be rolled out nationwide in the event of a real fuel shortage. Software fix = double MPG. Maybe you don’t go crazy and instead just do a 50% improvement. Result? US is now energy independent, for real this time. Add a “temporary emergency rule” that says only AI cars in hypermiling mode can be on the road for the duration of the emergency. Never let a crisis go to waste.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2007/01/guy-can-get-59-mpg-plain-old-accord-beat-punk
But if we get a debt bubble pop before the big AI rollout…silicon valley venture funding dries up. IPOs dry up. Consumer buying power vanishes. Nobody borrows money and nobody buys cars. So even if the pieces of the puzzle are technically in place, nobody has the spare capital to give it a try.
During such an event, gas also remains really cheap, since the precipitous drop in economic activity from the credit bust decreases demand faster than the oil decline rates can take hold. So the motivation to execute the rollout is reduced, too.
So will things hold together long enough for the potentially-energy-saving revolutionary AI to roll out? I have no clue. AI will happen eventually, and even without help from EV, AI by itself can greatly aid in mitigating the peak oil transition. However, the speed of the commercial roll-out will be driven by the availability of capital. Scarce credit = a very, very slow rollout. Only the rich will have AI.
I feel the same way about EVs and solar panels. Tech isn’t quite there yet; we need another half-decade of dev to get to the point where it makes economic sense all on its own, and then another half-decade to seriously roll it out. And even that math is subject to “status quo” issues; if we have a credit event and the bottom drops out of the economy, fossil fuel prices go through the floor, and that makes the solar math a lot harder for the duration of the emergency. Plus, all the current players are structured to provide for an easy-capital economy, and the transition to a hard-capital economy tends to leave a lot of bodies on the floor. Maybe a whole bunch of solar companies go out of business during that time, taking a whole lot of promising R&D with them. I saw that happen with solar panel companies in the aftermath of 2008.
So will we get that development time or not? That’s the question. My gut says this current cycle probably tops out before the rollout can happen.
I hope I’m wrong. I want my hypermiling-AI/EV car to drive me around town in the style to which I’ve become accustomed. But as they say, “there’s many a slip twixt cup and lip.” Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. And so on.