Why Own Anything but Stocks?

Originally published at: https://peakprosperity.com/why-own-anything-but-stocks/

In our latest episode of FinanceU, I’m joined by the astute Paul Kiker to explore the many difficulties making decisions in today’s turbulent financial landscape. Why are people so filled with uncertainty and anxiety that seems to be affecting people nationwide? This episode particularly highlights the growing unease felt across various levels of society, from everyday budgeting struggles to broader economic concerns. It’s ‘a thing.’

Paul and I also explored the critical subject of personal financial planning in these uncertain times. He shared valuable insights into guiding clients through the complexities of retirement planning and risk management, underscoring the importance of being well-prepared in the current economic climate.

Thanks to everyone who has been tuning in for these conversations and who have been describing how much they get from them.

Peak Prosperity endorses and promotes Kiker Wealth Management’s financial services. To arrange a completely free, no-obligation discussion of your personal financial circumstances and goals with someone who speaks your language and thoroughly shares your outlook on the world, please click this link to go to Peak Financial Investing to begin the process.

FINANCIAL DISCLAIMER. PEAK PROSPERITY, LLC, AND PEAK FINANCIAL INVESTING ARE NOT ENGAGED IN RENDERING LEGAL, TAX, OR FINANCIAL ADVICE OR SERVICES VIA THIS WEBSITE. NEITHER PEAK PROSPERITY, LLC NOT PEAK FINANCIAL INVESTING ARE FINANCIAL PLANNERS, BROKERS, OR TAX ADVISORS. Their websites are intended only to assist you in your financial education. Your personal financial situation is unique, and any information and advice obtained through this website may not be appropriate for your situation. Accordingly, before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy, you should consider obtaining additional information and advice from your accountant or other financial advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances.

6 Likes

Mr. Kiker says, “I don’t know how to put my finger on it [the exact source of anxiety], but there’s something there.” The indicator for me is that people, little by little, are getting more “testy” in their interactions with others. Both in person and online. Even in forums like this one.

7 Likes

I think a lot of people are lowkey losing it in one way or another, it’s just all so much. To start taking things in now, after the past few years? Utterly terrifying. The cost of the denial? Massive. Plus all the unhealthy stresses which seem to be normal, I really think we’re seeing individuals collapse.

Which is a lot to take in in its self! How do you deal with it?

6 Likes

I agree. I’m thinking that people sense another round of government gaslighting starting and they’re not willing to take it hook-line & sinker again. People are chipping away at things they know are false. This is the result of the loss in trust the government earned.

1 Like

Something aint right! Everyday i hear and see more that makes no sense… this ends badly.
Back to waking up at 3 sonething…maybe it is that crazy rooster
He bit my hand as i was dumping food in feeder…wondering if he needs to go in a pot!
Oregano EO on the scrap to help incase of any infection.

Keep prepping, Carry more wherever you go, noone is coming to save you

Stay Strong
Rick

I’ve never tried planting using the Farmer’s Almanac. Instead I use detailed notes I keep every year to build the planting and harvesting schedules. But the moon phase can be a big deal! When I was in the cattle business back in the 1970’s we would see a steady trickle of new calves most of the month, about 3-5 every day. But for a couple of days around the full moon the number would spike to 25-30! Of course all the old timers knew what was coming, but it was still amazing to see. So Paul’s efforts will probably be worthwhile.

2 Likes

I see it as an intentional consequence of divide and conquer political strategy.

4 Likes

People who are awake are feeling this – both new media and spiritual/religious folks I listen to and talk with. They know that things aren’t right, something bad (even worse) is about to happen.

I don’t think it’s universal - lots of folks are oblivious. Many of my progressive leaning friends don’t know anything’s wrong, except of course that we need to keep Putin’s Puppet, 2nd Incarnation of Hitler, aka Trump out at all costs.

1 Like

Re Paul’s comment on what happens after the crash: I suspect that the oligarchs, Black Rock, and their millionaire friends will be buyers. Home prices are artificially high - they create tight market, suck up any buffer of extra homes, and outcompete actual homeowner buyers by offering all cash deals above asking price. I regularly get postcards addressed to me at my address saying they will buy my house for cash unseen.

1 Like

Casual observations in my realm are that more are gradually waking up but the few that are, seem to be in the bewildered stage somewhere between disbelief and panic. Knowing now that things aren’t exactly as they seemed but not sure what to do. It makes for some bizarre behavior in some. Reluctant to admit they were wrong about…you name it, vax, money, woke, WEF, politics, etc., but now at least asking questions and taking baby steps.

Are the awakenings large enough or soon enough to make a difference? I hope so but honestly I don’t think so. If there is any positive its that conversations that we’ve been trying to have for years are now starting to gradually happen. We must be close huh?

Then the other side of me thinks, if it took them all this time to just figure out there was a problem, despite all of the evidence, then that’s pretty pathetic.

I’ll help them if they ask, but honestly I don’t want to be around them in a crisis. A few I won’t have any choice with but most I do. That saddens me.

Most of us are 3 to 10 years ahead of them in every possible way but most importantly in questioning narratives, taking action and having a plan. Maybe even the ability to alter our thinking or plans as events or evidence leads another direction?

Having insurance policies and providing for my families future give me great comfort and removes much of the stress. That’s my antidepressant and in the grand scheme of things, it didn’t cost me that much or fuck up my head in other ways. Taking a break from the news and several steps back from social media helps me greatly too.

This segues to another thing that I’m figuring out…just how many people around me are on anti-depressants. Way more than I thought. Maybe its not a completely recent trend but for some odd reason my awareness of the large numbers are recent. And these numbers seem very high to me.

With some, I could see uncharacteristic changes in behavior but I suspected it was just a reaction to normal life stressors (work, marriage, kids, loss of a loved one, etc.) I suspected a temporary emotional phase they were working through but not the use of anti-depressants.

Others had been on them for years and I had no idea. I’m not shaming anyone on them as they really do seem to help some in the right doses. I’m no doctor but many seem to be pushing them very hard though. Where is that coming from?

The patient in some, maybe many cases seem to be using it as a crutch or coping mechanism for all of life’s ups and downs that every one has to suffer through. It doesn’t seem healthy and some seem to be really leveled out hard in all of their emotions by them. The world falling apart around them doesn’t seem to phase some of them in the slightest.

With two that I know, anxiety has abated but favorite past times and hobbies are of no interest now and social activities are greatly reduced. One friend sleeps most of the day and doesn’t go out much anymore. Completely aberrant to his previous lifestyle. I noticed and tried to have the conversation with him but he waved me off. His wife even reached out to me and told me the back story. I told her she needs to contact his doctor immediately. She is afraid to intervene. It seems a small number are so medicated that they don’t realize how bad their own condition is.

I wonder if this was part of some of some greater scheme all along? Keep the unwashed, sedated, comfortable, unengaged and uncaring.

My buddies wife did say jokingly, he is obviously not himself but he is so much easier to live with. I replied, I guess that’s fine if you want to live with a zombie, you need to take action now.

I wonder how many teachers feel the same way about disruptive students or young boys just being boys?

I wonder how much of the population will go way off the deep end if their med’s are suddenly cut off?

Back to the main topic. Other than real estate, not one of my investments did I jump into in lump sum. Likewise, I’m slowly paring back my equity investments over time. I realize that I’ll probably lose some of it when the music stops for good but I also thought that the GFC and March of 2020 crisis’s were possibly the end game but I stayed in. I’m glad that I didn’t overreact and pull everything back then but now I’m way more in protection mode. Increasingly outside of the rigged game.

2 Likes

Re: advocating abolishing building codes.

There is no doubt that there’s too much red tape, but saying to totally get rid of codes is crazy.

They’re important for safety - like requirement to put in interconnected hard-wired smoke alarms so if one goes off in a closed off basement, they all get off.
Covering flammable foam insulation with a non-flammable like drywall.
Structural integrity.
Accessibility.

What about air quality and controlling moisture - shouldn’t require vented exhaust fans for bathrooms and kitchens? Builders used to not do that - until it was mandated.

Since here we care a lot about energy efficiency - insulation, windows, air sealing.
Builders would still be putting up 2x4 homes with r11 wall insulation or no insulation at all. They would be using the cheapest windows.
As is, efficiency codes in the states are too lax, like air ducts in cold attics and crawlspaces are still allowed.

The codes pose a problem for people who want to do something unconventional and custom home builds, etc. The solution is to have an opt out for most requirements (but not electrical safety) single custom homes → the codes are necessary to protect people from large for profit production builders who cheap out to save a few bucks per unit.

It’s kind of like how animal welfare and meat safety regulations are necessary for large meat producers and processors, but screw over small farmers.