Audio Analysis Is Most Consistent Two Shooters At Trump Rally

Yeah there’s multiple views of it, I don’t see what you people see

Thank you for the photo. Should be easy enough to measure it. Assume 16" from the back of the stock to the front of the lower, and that will get you close enough on the barrel length.

Just measured one of mine sitting here, stock fully extended is 11" but to the front of the lower receiver it’s 18.5."

So on the suspect rooftop rifle, on my computer screen, it appears to be a fully extended stock which meastures 3.5" from the tail to the front of the lower receiver. Making it 18.5" in real life. The entire barrel length from the lower receiver front to the tip of the muzzle device is exactly 3.5" making it also, 18.5" barrel with what appears to be a birdcage or similar type device. So we can conclude with relative confidence it’s an 18.5" barrel including birdcage type device.

What? You think an AR-15 lower receiver is that long? a 6 point fully extended stock on a lower receiver is only like 10"-11" dude lol what the fuck

Sorry for the stupid question but what is a birdcage device?

Designed to affix to the end of a rifle barrel for various intended purposes based on design. Such intended purposes could be to disperse muzzle flash to aid in concealing position, compensate for muzzle rise by redirecting gases upwards or forwards, direct sound forwards (such as a linear compensator), reduce dust signature beneath the end of the barrel for prone shooting, etc.

medium__0004_AR-15_Angled_0297
warcomp-ctn-5.56-on-rifle

I’ve literally never heard it called a bird cage. I always called it a flash hider, and my suppressors have a 1/4 turn quick release flash hiders so I can use it with or without.

barrel is shorter than the fully extended stock and lower receiver lol

Odd, that’s a long ago industry standard name for any type of milspec or similar flash hider. Here’s copy from a Aero Precision AR15 assembled upper:

"This complete upper includes our ATLAS R-ONE Handguard! The R-ONE handguards are designed with size and weight in mind, while still providing plenty of real-estate to accommodate any attachment needs the end user may have. Our proprietary ATLAS attachment system is a durable and dependable mounting platform, maintaining a slim profile while still providing the strength and stability customers have grown to love from Aero Precision handguards.

M4E1 Threaded Assembled Upper Receiver 12" M-LOK ATLAS R-ONE Handguard 12.5" 5.56 Government Profile CMV Barrel, Carbine Length Low Profile Gas Block and Carbine Length Gas Tube AR15 A2 Birdcage Flash Hider"

From Google Earth I could estimate de distance between the roof vertical line as 0.6m, therefore the distance of 6 horizontal lines is 35’’ that is close to whole gun length.

The length from the frontal part is around 17’’

2 Likes

I just measured both of my 16" barrel AR-15’s with the stock fully extended on both, measurements came to a little over 35"

1 Like

The probable muzzle velocity is 2800fps.

2 Likes

I re-oriented the image and made no changes to compress it or enlarge any section of it, just to make it easier to measure, and put a virtual tape measure on it for context. The tape measure is obviously not to actual size but gives reference.

My real AR15 buttstock fully extended to the front of the receiver is 18.5" for context.

In this image, the ruler shows 4.25" from buttstock to front of receiver, and 3.75" barrel chamber to tip. That would translate into approximately 17" to 18" in my opinion. Looks more like 17" to me. I think we can narrow it down to 16.5" to 18" with the muzzle device.

However, these are crude measurements and being off by even an inch would throw the entire calculation out.
measured rifle

Considering this post: Audio Analysis Is Most Consistent Two Shooters At Trump Rally - #425 by bigtim

The most probable is 16’'.

1 Like

In my experience, pre-pistol brace era (from which this rifle was apparently purchased circa 2012), gun companies universally built their barrels to at least 16.25" or 16.5" to make ultra certain they were compliant with the law requiring rifle barrels be 16" long.

So the rifle in question might very well be 16.5" barrel with a 1/2 or 1 inch muzzle device.

1 Like

jesus christ man, okay we’ll say it’s a 16.75inch barrel. sound good??

it’s unreal the lengths people have to go through to verify a basic thing you should be able to gather from just using your eyes, but even with picture evidence staring you in the face you still cannot admit it’s a 16" barrel. even if it’s 16 point whatever number, nobody would call it that except you, everyone else would just call it a 16 inch barrel. do you know why? because a 16 inch barrel AR-15 is the most common kind…

the specs I have seen referred to a DPMS A-15 of 2013

deleted

Thanks for doing that, @jmholford. I did some experimenting and found that with the changes that I made to the perceived recorder positions for shot 10, a different adjustment value was needed to put shot 10 on the south barn. The details are shown in the attached PDF file.
Adding snick adjustments to shots 9 & 10.pdf (656.0 KB)

To be clear, this does not solve anything. The analysis of shots 9 & 10 continues to confound me.

I made a video this afternoon that others may find interesting. It slows down the shots to 1/10th speed. I wanted to listen closely to the shots to see whether I could distinguish between the shorter “snick” sound of a supersonic snap as opposed to the smoother sound of the rifle’s report. This video plays the sequence of 10 shots twice. The first set is normal audio, and the second set has some digital filtering done to suppress the background noise.

Question: Are you Greg Nichols, and do you find it bizarrely coincidental that one of the suspicious characters is Greg Nicols? I’ve never in my life heard of or met a Greg Nicols and now on the same “case” there’s 2 people with the same very unique name pronunciation?

1 Like