Coronavirus Situation Is Quickly Going From Bad To Worse.

https://drhansen.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-update/

It is machine translated. I attached the link.
367 corona patients completed new drug development in Korea… Cured after 7 days and 14 days. Clinical trials completed.
The plant facility provided to 100,000 people per day was completed.
It is said that a clinical trial is conducted for corona patients. I don’t want to worry about waiting a little bit.
ComiFarm Launches Corona19 Pneumonia Treatment Urgent Clinical Trial
Source: iNews24 | Naver
http://naver.me/xIdmYCFg

At the Healthcare system I work at.
Before the press conference just now, with OHA and Governor Kate Brown, corporate sent out emails reminding Flu is more deadly, eye roll, and how staying home when sick, washing hands and sneezing into tissues is best defense.
This will be a hot mess for us Triage RN’s.
Fever, Cough or Dyspnea… And now anywhere near this County, Who will be tested?
Only those with severe disease? Or those who test negative for flu? For containment purposes we will need to know!

http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2020/02/a-failure-of-imagination-and-of-common.html

2) The natural consequence of #1, above is that in short order, there will be no more medical facilities that "can handle it". We've covered this here. The internet moves fast; try and keep up.

¶ Ten:
"Yes, you should go out and replace basic supplies you’re out of, plus a little extra - not because society is about to break down, but because you might be stuck in the house for a week feeling like absolute trash and too bombed on cold medication to drive or operate anything more complex than a can opener and a microwave."
3) Sorry, but after #2 becomes reality, "a week" of supplies isn't going to cut it. And once health care goes down in a pandemic, FFS, society is, in fact, in the process of breaking down.
And then people won't risk going to work, because they don't want to get sick. And/or the CDC closes things down, like they've already said they will. Public facilities, schools, businesses. But I'm sure the police, fire department, EMS, water, power, gas, telephone service, radio, TV, trash collection, and whatever else you imagine, will be magically unaffected by this, because no one could possibly decide that staying home, healthy, with their families was more important than keeping your fantasies about how society will behave alive amidst a crisis unprecedented in a century or more. Your crystal ball is a bit hazy, isn't it?

¶ Eleven
"In extreme situations, schools or workplaces may close under the guidance of local government or management - think snow days."
4) Um, no. Think snow months. Plural. If TPTB close schools and businesses, over a disease that can incubate for two weeks, perhaps a month, no one's going to call off a day or three. They're going to call it off until a month after the last recorded case. Like you do if you got your medical diploma from someplace other than online. Otherwise, you're just ringing the dinner bell for serial waves of pandemic, and guaranteeing re-infection by some, which at last report, has a wee tendency to cause sudden cardiac arrest and death.
Now I'm really not feeling fearless and anxiety-free at all. Are you sure you're a real doctor?

5) And snow months means that "a week" of extra supplies, once again, isn't going to cut it. So maybe start talking about two, three, or six months. Maybe all year. Which, as people watch their 401Ks melt down daily, may bring on even more anxiety among the really susceptible-to-this-virus retirees. Don'tcha think???

¶ Twelve
"Again, this is not Hollywood-style “civil unrest” with people running, screaming, and looting while armed officers break up any groups larger than three..."
6) Oh, really??
Ever been to Chicagostan? Baltimoronia? Detroitistan? District of Criminals? St. Louis? Philly? Newark? South Central L.A.? Oakland? Anywhere, really.
I mean, FFS, Chicago has more shooting casualties every year than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ever did, even at the heights of those conflicts (a truth which really pisses OIF/OEF vets off royally when I point that out), and the people there don't even have Interceptor vests, MRAPs, M-4 rifles, close air support, or any supporting fires, most days.

Now, doc, have you ever been there (for any value of there) when they're pissed off?
Like when the market's closed.
Not the stock market; I mean the supermarket. Or supermarkets, plural.

Or when their EBT cards haven't been reloaded, because non-essential employees (and a lot of more essential ones) aren't coming to work to do that?
Didja figure they'd quietly starve in silence?
Or do you think they might go "shopping", with bricks, torches, and machetes?

What about when the police are running things at 1/2 or 1/3 staff?
How do you see civil unrest under those conditions, doc? Have we gotten maybe just a wee bit out of your depth of expertise here? Just asking. Nothing personal.

I've been in two, count 'em, two, city-wide riots. And those were little ones, compared to what we'd see in a months-long pandemic with societal degradation. Both of them affected Hollywood directly, BTW. So maybe a bit less pooh-poohing, and a little more shut-up-and-give-your-eyes-and-ears-a-chance-when-you-don't-know-WTF-you're-talking-about, if you catch my drift.

My aunt is very sick (not related to coronavirus) and had to be taken by ambulance to UC Davis yesterday. She does NOT have coronavirus, just a bunch a preexisting major medical issues. My sister said that my aunt (who was intubated) had to wait a long time to get into the ICU because all the regular ICU nurses are in covid 19 quarantine and so the ICU was having to be staffed by nurses from other departments and that was majorly slowing things down.

I was wondering which Staff and How many were on home Quarantine. Makes sense it would be the UCC, ED and ICU RN’s. I imagine they will attempt to get travel ICU RN’s staffed up pronto. Although there is not a general RN shortage in most US cities now, There is a shortage of ED, ICU and OR RN’s.
Prayers with your Aunt Chloe!

elderberry has a short half life in the body - why you have to take it every few hours to be effective as a prophylaxis eg https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18040528. Also, you do habituate apparently. So, I am using it as a prophylaxis on days we need to go out in public and will stop if I develop symptoms and switch to other herbs. It seems to normally take about a week to progress to pneumonia after first symptoms which implies that the cytokine storm takes at least a few days to kick in so I figure that the elderberry will be well out of my system by then.

Hi, Lisa Mooney, sorry to hear of the possible corona case in Washington County, OR. Second largest county, part of the Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro OR-WA metropolitan area. I am way over in Harney County, less than one person per acre. Went for last supply run today, to Burns. (3,000 pop.?) Safeway was well stocked, hardware store was stocked, no customers, gas prices still too high. No sense of panic or any conversation about virus. The medical situation, here, is minimal, though we do have a small hospital and public health dept. I am only one wearing gloves, but I mainly do that to prevent picking up scabies from the shopping carts. They can’t even get that under control in this county, so little hope for virus control. My plan is to stock up and isolate on my rural property. Gear up if I have to go to town. Finishing dental, vision appointments next week. Good luck over there on the westside.

This is a round about story. I was curious and decided to check in on chaga prices, given the corona virus problem and its well known immune system boosting properties. I’m well stocked up but always on the lookout for foraging opportunities. I didn’t realize folks were selling whole chunks like this.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236337893/1-lb-chaga-large-chunks-mushroom-tea?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-home_and_living-food_and_drink-coffee_and_tea-tea&utm_custom1=b1f21750-420e-4a22-89f3-d5b0ba8134b3&utm_content=go_1843970812_75209280132_346398209911_pla-371217082237_c__236337893&utm_custom2=1843970812&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7GkxOn15wIVEvDACh0dMgQIEAQYBSABEgKdD_D_BwE
Well, I guess I may be doing a little chaga prospecting this year when I find some spare time. At $46 a chunk and no labor for processing, an occasional jaunt in the deeper woods can provide some extra pocket money. There’s a potential problem though. One remote area that I know has a lot of chaga also has something else. Wolves. I’d bring a dog along as a better set of ears with a much better nose but that’s just a potential attractor. And I’d be armed but really don’t want to shoot one if I don’t have to. They’re beautiful animals and I have a particular fondness for lupine breed dogs. But then I remembered what an experienced woodsmen had told me about an encounter he had with some wolves in that area who didn’t show any fear of him, at least initially. As they got closer, and he got increasingly nervous and started looking around for the nearest available easily climbable tree, he noted that the alpha stopped. Being down wind, it very obviously scented him. The alpha stopped his forward movement, looked at him carefully, then broke its gaze, and then moved off in an oblique direction. The probable reason? The alpha probably scented that he was another meat eater … a fellow predator … not prey. The moral of the story: If you decide to go chaga hunting in the north woods, don’t be a vegetarian. And if you have to deal with wolves, always better to be the sheep dog than the sheep. I’m stating this with what Tom said above in mind about “being on your own” … because you will be. I’ve lived through a race riot myself, my cousin was an officer on the Newark, NJ police force during the riots there, and two good friends lived in Hamtramck during the riots in Detroit. Once you’ve lived through something like that, you never view the world in the same way as those who haven’t. It changes you.

There are numerous downloadable mask patterns on You-Tube for fabric face masks. Use four layers on cotton fabric instead on two. They will provide some protection and are better than no protection at all. They can be washed and dried and come in multiple sizes. Break out that sewing machine.

Thanks to Sparky1, Nairobi, and dtrammel for the info on respirators. I have never used or worn one, so I would like to know if half-face or full-face is better if you wear glasses? I prefer the price of the half-face at this point, however, what are others doing for goggles that fit snuggly over glasses? Part 2 of this question is about using the gas mask for setting up a room in my house where I can ozone things I’d like to be cleaned. If I wanted a mask that I could wear into the room to turn the ozone machine off and open a window, I would want the cartridge style mask, is that right? How long do the cartridges last? How many back ups should you get? I’m price hunting on Amazon and these things would be helpful to know.

Exactly, Mark! And what gets me is that the US reportedly scored at the top of the class a year or so ago when nations were rated for their ability to respond to such a crisis. It really makes me wonder what criteria were in play. I suspect it had something to do with infrastructure rather than frontline supplies and equipment. We are among the world’s best at creating and staffing bureaucracies, complete with detailed job descriptions and accountability flow charts.

We will use our tools and act as appropriate to support the economy.”
It's predictable, even if we don't think it entirely humane, for institutions devoted to propping up the nation's economy to prioritize keeping the economy going above our concern to protect lives. This is about the 3 spheres balancing act Chris has addressed several times, and the truth is that a genuinely cratered economy will cause more devastation and even death than Covid-19. Think of the consequences for those dependent upon functioning market economy for food, drugs, health equipment - and that's a lot of Americans! I'm not annoyed by the Fed doing what it's meant to do. I'm taking stock of their structural limitations and planning around them. I'm working on the micro level - me, my family, and my small community; they're focused on the macro level, that also has to keep going.

which is why I like Claire’s suggestion of rotating through various immune building practices. It makes me think of good practices for building healthy garden soil.

Coronavirus found in tears: Chinese study

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3883037

Update from South Korea for Saturday, March 1

The government has asked us to stay put and not to join any social gatherings such as going to church. On my way to work my nine-year-old daughter commented about how many people were having a stroll by the river near our house. I also felt that to be quite odd behavior as we are wearing masks inside of our car on the way to the office.

By the time this reaches you, the confirmed cases have exceeded 3200. People in general are more concerned but haven’t made decisive action yet. This evening I talk to my students mother who lives in Nanjing, China. She has been quarantined in her house for one month and she commented that her city was one of the safer areas in China. Through our conversation I found that she recommended washing clothes at a temperature higher than 56°C for 30 minutes as that will kill the virus. She also stated that the virus can be airborne up to 48 hours. I asked her about open windows is it safe to do that and she responded that her neighbors below her and above her had become infected with the virus and they believe that it came through the windows. She had also told me that all parks are closed, all shopping centers are closed. Korea still has freedom of mobility and I gather it’s just a number of days before we lose that. I’ll have to start thinking about having our office staff work from home as that appears to be the only viable solution if we are to be quarantined like China for a month. She seemed to be in good spirits considering that everything, including sports is done inside their apartment.

Even though the virus is here, I can’t make the mental jump of quarantining myself inside my house for a month or more. The government stated that this weekend the number of infections will rise dramatically as more tests are being done on the members of the religious cult that has spread this disease throughout the country.

New coronavirus cases of unknown origin found on West Coast

Health officials in California, Oregon and Washington state worried about the novel coronavirus spreading through West Coast communities after confirming three patients were infected by unknown means

“This case represents some degree of community spread, some degree of circulation,” said Dr. Sara Cody, health officer for Santa Clara County and director of the County of Santa Clara Public Health Department. “But we don’t know to what extent,” Cody said. “It could be a little, it could be a lot.” “We need to begin taking important additional measures to at least slow it down as much as possible,” she said. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coronavirus-cases-unknown-origin-found-west-coast-69301250

PLU …This seems improbable. Anyone knowledgeable want to weigh in ?

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue calls coronavirus a 'pandemic'

"If we say there's pandemic of coronavirus, we're essentially accepting that every human on the planet will be exposed to that virus," said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Programme, during a news conference on Friday. "The data does not support that as yet." https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/politics/sonny-perdue-coronavirus/index.html =======================================

Coronavirus IS a Pandemic — WHO, Declare It Now!

"Whether it’s WHO declaring the coronavirus a pandemic, or ensuring emergency supplies are readily available globally – the United Nations must step up its actions on the entire outbreak response," said AHF President Michael Weinstein. "All available assets and proven public health interventions must be rapidly deployed to slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect the frontline responders—because as we’ve seen in past infectious disease outbreaks, like Ebola in West and East Africa—when people and organizations fail to act responsively, thousands of people needlessly die and entire communities and regions are left devastated." https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-declare-now-202700860.html

I think I can say, my feet are really gonna hurt when I come today from work at an online retailer. This is usually when they give out voluntary time off like candy. Not today, not today.