Coronavirus: The Solution Is Becoming Clear

Thank you for your information. I still will be using copper, in the ways I said. It is better than what I have, now. I used to copper plate objects with CuSO4 and a battery set up when a kid. Fun.
“Old Chemists Never Die, They Just Reach Equilibrium.” ??

AKGrannyWGrit,
You’re welcome. I’ve actually seen Richard Heinberg speak in a small setting a few years ago, with a room of people. In my experience, some awesome authors aren’t so great in person. When I was still in Santa Barbara, CA (moved away 11 years ago, I had an internal push that kept getting more and more insistent), I had the opportunity to also see Matthew Simmons speak twice on the same day before his passing. Also good live.
suziegruber,
Definitely. I would add anger with some fury too “for being inconvenienced” and “not getting what I want when I want it”/entitlement; denial, scapegoating and blaming, and bargaining; major depression and suicides because a lot of people will feel incapable or unwilling to change their lifestyles or expectations for the future as it becomes more obvious we have to change, just in case the virus wasn’t enough of a reality check; and acceptance. After COVID passes in an unknown amount of time (that darn fear of the unknown, loss of control, and fear of change), not only will our world be very different, but we will have generational PTSD and trauma, and more people will also have Pre-PTSD. I have also read from Carolyn Baker and others about Pre-PTSD becoming more of a “thing”, as we hopefully start to become more aware of the things headed our way. (Reminds me of the commercial with the train coming, man steps off the tracks, and you see a little girl standing there about to get clobbered.)
I apologize, but I remember who and what thread the link for this article got posted, it’s pretty good, so I’m going to re-post it.
https://consortiumnews.com/2020/03/27/covid-19-we-wont-go-back-to-normal-because-normal-was-the-problem/
Linda

Helping Granny,
Thank you for the compliment, even if nothing comes of it, I’m honored you would suggest it.
Linda

Well, you know, Jesus said we have to give up our families if we are to follow Him. Most people cherry pick the Bible, just read the parts they want to agree with. Not trying to push anything here.
I too, have had conflicts with sister over the prepping issue. She is one of the wealthy, and I suppose feels more insulated than me, with a kind of frugal, more simple life style.
One thing I have found, prepping is a marathon deal. Food and preps I did years ago, turned out to be not healthy or just wrong. I have had continual tweaking of supplies and remedies and ideas over the years. Not good in a panic situation.
She lives in Salt Lake City, which is starting to grow corona cases. I am wondering if I will receive an email in the future asking for prepping suggestions. Or maybe a kidney.

https://neurosciencenews.com/covid-19-feces-swabs-16026/
sputum and fecal swabs were positive weeks after pharyngeal swabs were negative

I really appreciate this conversation. I want to point out that PTSD is never inevitable no matter the circumstances. We have both an understanding of what leads to PTSD and Complex PTSD (they are different) and a wealth of people around the world who are highly trained and available to us to help us navigate and face the emotional impact of any difficult life event. And many of them offer sessions on Zoom.
I will use myself as an example here. As I have alluded to in a couple of posts, about three weeks ago I had an unexpected medical event where I almost died. It was an extreme case of Influenza A, and not Covid-19. I spent three nights in the hospital and thankfully I am now mostly fully recovered.
As soon as I regained consciousness in the ICU, I was aware of the possibility of developing PTSD from this event and also because I work in the field of shock trauma (PTSD) and relational trauma (Complex PTSD), I knew exactly what I needed to do to make sure that didn’t happen. I had to stay very present with all of what I was experiencing and I had to have a lot of emotional support and I knew I would need professional help.
The most prominent symptom of developing PTSD that I had once I got home is that every time I was about to leave my house to go somewhere, I became fearful even though I had mostly physically recovered and in reality I was in a safe space. I realized this was an imprint from being removed unconscious from my house by the paramedics. If I had ignored or tried to suppress this symptom, it would have had a serious, chronic effect on the quality of my life. Instead I worked through it with an expert in the field with very similar training to mine and I am happy to report that I now feel fine when I leave the house.
I really, really encourage everyone to take the time to be with what you are experiencing right now even if it seems to make no sense. This is what will keep you emotionally healthy and resilient.
This isn’t the time to just tell yourself you will tough it, that you can’t go there because you are taking care of others and have to keep it together and that only weak people let themselves feel.
If emotional preparedness has always been at the bottom of your prep list, this is a great opportunity to start. If it all feels overwhelming, get help. Many, many more people are working online now.
I was able to turn my medical emergency into a positive experience because I faced some really tough stuff inside myself. Covid offers many of us a similar opportunity if we take it.

I have most of the books you mentioned. Love JMG and especially Carolyn Baker – but you really have to be ready for Carolyn Baker’s message; it is challenging, though absolutely vital.
Be well, everybody.

On MSNBC tonight, on “All IN with Chris Hayes”, the last item was a story about whether everyone should really be wearing masks. Interestingly, the host (Chris Hayes) first mentioned that there was a rumor that the CDC was going to reverse itself on mask recommendation, and he was saying that studies show we should all be wearing masks, but then he asked his guest (a doctor; didn’t get her name) whether that was really what we should be doing, and she basically toed the standard line that it won’t really protect you and the hospitals need the masks more… Which was disappointing. But at least the topic was discussed, with the counter argument given some prominence. Progress…

suziegruber,
I also appreciate this conversation. Thank you for sharing your healing process.
I can remember many times when I had massage clients on my table, when they would share with me their healing process or an awareness they had had, and feel vulnerable and safe enough to do so, I always felt so honored and touched. Quite profound sometimes. Thank you again.
Linda

alanrgreenland,
I agree, Carolyn’s message is challenging and vital right now. I don’t know if you read, or don’t, Kunstler’s blog postings on Mondays and Fridays, but his last two have been about the virus and the economy/markets. Have you read his “World Made by Hand” series?
Today it was “People Get Ready”
https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/people-get-ready/#more-12071
Last Friday it was about the markets and the virus, “Forced Liquidation”
https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/forced-liquidation/#more-
Linda

Gosh, where to start. I, many years ago, experienced the crisis of the death of my child while under my care. Crisis does leave an imprint if we do not understand how to respond to it wisely. I see this trauma impacting my own daughter, a nurse and recovering from a respiratory illness, Covid and flu A& B neg. Her sense of vulnerability is now coming to bear and I see it would help her to process this with someone of your expertise. Thank you, I will encourage her to do so. I have benefited much from seeking help and hope others will consider self care as utmost importance in order to cares for others they love.
Thank you!

WeeklyReport_202013_AU (3)
Hey Chris
Australia has been having a very strict testing policy (just eased off on criteria today), believing that they are catching all the cases by testing those who have travelled overseas, contact with those who have travelled overseas and with symptoms.
This flu tracking (low numbers compared to the population) shows that for the two weeks shown, there were approx. 304 and 324 cases of fever and cough that were not presented to a GP or tested. Those that attended a GP, 211 and 257, only a small % were tested for influenza or COVID19.
Do you think this is risky practice, given how this disease easily spreads, with people being asymptomatic or mild symptoms?
Thanks
Susan

On the question of how Australia is responding to the pandemic it’s a mixed bag.
On the other specific Covid 19 questions, Chris’s almost daily videos since January are a treasure trove of information (asterixed * below). The last 2 or 3 should get people up to speed on asymptomatic transmission.
At the Commonwealth level the “don’t test, don’t tell”* phase of Australia’s response is ended as CoVid 19 has progressed “case, case, case cluster, cluster, (but not yet) BOOM”. In about a week or so we will begin “the hammer and the dance”, at which time life as you know it will end. The government is performing a balancing act with no happy endings, between “saving lives, maintaining the economy and overwhelming the hospitals”. This is all good.
What is not good is the dangerous BS being peddled to the public about masks ( see earlier posts on Australia in this thread). Chris recommends we should “#StayTheFuckHome
, and there should be “#Masks4All”*. Hope that helps.

I must put a plug in for my good friend Michael Dowd (also wrote Awarding winning book Thank God for Evolution) who with his biologist wife , Connie Barlow - has been on the road Crisscrossing North America for 15 straight years - giving more than 2500 talks.
new website - with conservations with some of the leading thinkers in this field
www.postdoom.com
The single best book he recommends is the 1980 classic Overshoot by William Catton.

Their Main site
www.thegreatstory.com (org) is an amazing compendium of material

lastly
the brilliant Nate Hagens (google Reality 101 or his annual EArth day talk )

I woke up agitated this morning and had the feeling in my stomach that comes with anxiety.
Here is a simplified breathing practice I use - Breath in fairly quickly (count 4) then draw out the exhale (count 8). Doing that a few times helps me to ground that excess energy.
Two notes: I have taught this practice to my high school students over the years and have been thanked many times. I have also encountered people who refuse to hear or even become hostile at the mention of a breathing practice as a solution to anything (my wife is one of them). So if this has triggered anyone, I’m very sorry.
I also use my breath as a model to remember that things arise, and things fall away. Anxiety arises then becomes a problem if I attach to it. If I am able not to attach to it, it falls away and the next moment arises, whatever that brings, and if I have attached to the anxiety, I’ll never know. (sounds great when I just write it like that - it is hard to initiate and maintain practice - remember to be kind to yourself along the way)
On my reading list during down time - Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin.
I also support structuring your day in some way. I very easily fall into a “do it in a minute” spiral in which “a minute” never comes and days can slide by. (yes, I recognize depression)
I also am staying away from the computer outside the times I’ve set aside to use it. I realized I’ve been recreating the effect of main stream media. By viewing the same news over and over my brain starts to construct a problem bigger than what’s actually being presented. Since what’s being presented is already serious, I don’t need to amplify it, right?
Peace and health!
jeff

I’ve taught people breathing practice for many decades and have always said that if there was just one thing that I could teach humanity (from the standpoint of something physical) that would benefit the greatest number of people, it would be proper breathing and breath control. Why is she opposed?

I can make a conjecture but she’s really not interested in discussing it so I dropped it years ago. I suspect it has to do with unresolved early childhood trauma and her commitment to what she has put in place to keep a lid on it all. Her family is quite the cast of characters, many of whom follow this problem solving sequence - ignore the problem or if possible, acknowledge the problem and simply tolerate it, tacitly agreeing no solution is possible; if that fails, deny that it is a problem or even real; if that becomes impossible to maintain, flip wig and start an argument about something unrelated. My wife is in MUCH better shape than that (which is why she lives here and not where her family is). I think actually learning to relax can seem very scary in some situations. Like I said, conjecture.
I want to add that she is not the only person I’ve got this reaction from. The very first time I can remember it happening was way back in the mid-90s. (I practiced yoga and pranayama in the late 80s and occasionally since) I was managing a youth hostel in Jo’Burg and a woman who was staying with us (just finished Peace Corps service) was super wound up and having a hard time - shallow, rapid breathing in the top of the chest, clear signs of constant anxiety, etc. I said something like, it might help to take a deep breath, not flippantly or anything like that, with genuine concern. She got super pissed and said, “I do not want to focus on my breath right now.” I didn’t know how to respond so I just shut up.
Maybe it’s my approach.
jeff
btw - I totally agree that learning to breath well and to use breath in different ways (it’s not just for gas exchange) could be of tremendous benefit to almost everyone. And it is free of any monetary entanglements - making it impossible to profit from, so I don’t expect to see it taking the world by storm any time soon … sadly.

Sorry for the barrage -
Maybe this has been mentioned; I stepped away for a few days. It occurred to me yesterday that the temperatures mentioned for sterilizing masks can be achieved in a solar oven if you prepped one of those. I’ve played with them but, unfortunately never pulled the trigger on a new one. They seem expensive to me so I always thought I’d make one.
Which brings me to all of us new home schoolers (I have a 15 year old). If you have a box, a piece of glass and a thermometer, think of a testable question and play. (here’s an extensive scaffold for creating experiments and info about questions)
I’m a teacher and on the elected school leadership team. This morning in a Zoom meeting (Zoom is going to end up doing very well from all of this) I mentioned my thought that we have an opportunity to step back from “accountability” oriented practices and try to regain contact with our native curiosity. I went on to point out that some people have decided to talk about mask shortages, blame whomever they love to hate, and talk about how somebody needs to do something. Another group of people got out their sewing machines and started making masks. I want to be like the second group.

I studied a broad range of somatic therapies and became certified in several of them (i.e. within the field of somatics) and have always been very interested in the mind-body connection. For some people, letting go and relaxing is indeed very scary. A certain amount of protective muscular “armoring” gives them a sense of security and anything or anyone that threatens to strip it away, especially if it is sudden, can be perceived as threatening and can induce emotional responses ranging from withdrawal to anger and aggression. The Peace Corps volunteer undoubted fell fully into the latter category. It’s almost akin to someone abruptly proposing to suddenly strip all their clothing off. It can be quite frightening.
A variety of strategies can be used to overcome this fear and introduce the concept in a manner that feels safe to them. Depending upon the individual, I would often try and introduce breathing as a concept that I personally found helpful (opening up about your own personal vulnerabilities build a level of rapport) and as a life skill that can give them more control, not less. I’d use everything from the Trager Approach to create a sensory contrast between two sides of the body (starting with something safe like the hands or arms) to the Feldenkrais Method, exploring options for breath amplitude, duration, rhythm, location, effort, inhalation vs. exhalation emphasis, balance, permeation, coordination with movement, etc., etc. I’d make it into an exploratory game where they could feel the difference between tension and relaxation, experience pleasure and even joy from the freedom of movement relaxation brings, experience feeling better than they ever felt before, and recognize how it can empower them, giving them a newfound sense of power and control (rather than depriving them of that).
But the paradox of the situation is that the people who need it the most are often the ones that recognize their need the least, are the most antagonistic towards change, and are the most likely to experience an emotional reaction in opposition to it. That’s what made teaching it interesting and an intellectual challenge.
I personally found the breathing approaches of the Taoists (water method) and of the Russian Systema practitioners to be the most valuable but different strokes for different folks. That’s probably just a reflection of my interest in martial arts and practical dynamic application of breathing methodology.
And you’re right. Because it’s free and no one can profit hugely from it and because it’s likely to take revenue away from everything from pharmaceutical companies to certain health professionals, it’s unlike to be heavily promoted. But people have made a living from it. For example, I attended classes given by Carola Speads (the author of Ways To Better Breathing and a student of Elsa Gindler) in NYC and they were always full, with everyone from performing artists (actors. dancers, and musicians) to average folks looking to overcome stress and anxiety issues. Carola is quoted in the following article:
http://michaelbalchan.com/breath/
Maybe you could leave this article up on your computer screen for your wife to see when you’re not around. You never know … :slight_smile:

Check this out guys Proof that mask can really make the dıfference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBvFkQizTT4