Crash Course 2.0: Chapter 1 - Setting The Table

You are so welcome! Thank you for sharing that with me and the everyone.

That would be a sound strategy. As Chris discusses elsewhere in regards to green alternatives, even if these alternatives could replace the energy available from carbon sources, it would require a tremendous amount of energy, currently only available from carbon sources, to build the required infrastructure. This is also true for fission. Therefore such a strategy goes from being expensive to impossible with each passing moment… and it probably does so… quickly! Which means it’s necessary to somehow move rapidly in the political realm…
There’s a bit of the Malthusian debate here. Maybe somebody discovers easily implemented fusion tech with immense energy surplus tomorrow… but you can never count on such a thing!

iAllegedly is a pretty strange channel. I used to watch it regularly and I sort of like it but the host basically just talks about how bad things are without actually going into details of what is going on or offering insight or solutions. It’s still interesting to see how things are on the ground where he goes.

The Emotional And Belief Landscape Battlefield

https://youtu.be/q304NUkey0o

Great story Gerry, but don’t downplay how late in the game it really is. That might generate some necessary urgency and speed.
https://peakprosperity.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/2A493CEF-E601-43F9-BAD2-4D0B460273D3-1683917241.7084.jpeg

4 Likes

Mots, good to hear you’re doing well.

1 Like

Yeah, when my 90 year old father was born in 1932 the world population was 2 billion, give or take. So within a single lifetime the global population has doubled and doubled again. This is mind boggling to me. If this doesn’t set the alarm bells ringing nothing will.

1 Like

Collapsing birthrate could be of help here.
Of course not all countries follow this path, so it can only reduce that growth rate.

Importance Of Understanding Exponential Growth

Thank you so much, Chris, for providing the Crash Course in this updated video series. I bought the book (-s, both the 1st edition some years ago and the new one just recently ?), but listening to videos or podcasts on these topics makes me learn more easily.
I have recently begun to homeschool my teenager (for so many reason…). I will take some time with her to make her understand exponential growth, as I find this very important basic knowledge to understand. The “slow, slow, slow, quick!”-progress is essential to be aware of, and I am thankful for you to provide your knowledge of the topic to the audience in an easy understandable way.
Also send my wishes to Evie - she holds very valuable insights, and I enjoy her spirit very much. Me and my husband would love to take the trip to USA to visit you sometime (when dangerous, non-vaxxed and irresponsible people may be allowed to cross US-borders again…).
Best wishes!

Hat Tip

People need to understand that buckling in for the hard ride ahead does not mean retreating, but engaging more than ever with the local power structure where you choose to live. We have done this with great success and it’s an ongoing labor of love. If this component isn’t in place…your chosen area will deteriorate faster than an LA riot during instability.
I am thankful for Dr Martenson’s insights, to whose ideas I was just recently introduced. We have been working on this for 14 years, glad to see a tribe around these ideas. Disconcerting when I meet homesteaders who think they will be left alone by the powerless or the powerful without having a hand in the game locally and regionally with which to tip the scales when the time comes.

It Does Not Have To Be All Or Nothing. A Modular Approach.

Just tossing out there that you don’t have to find a single place that has it all. We had many of the same goals Chris and others have when purchasing our first bit or rural property years ago. We started with a single lot in a subdivision with mild deed restrictions because we were brainswashed city folk and feared what might happen if our investment was surrounded by unrestricted parcels. Later we bought a second lot next door in our subdivision because 4 or more continuous acres can have horses and livestock. This made for an expensive chicken coop years later :wink: but I have no regrets as I have a second lot for a child’s home as needed and enough room for a cow or goats if need be.
We later bought a small acerage on a creek that meets with a river one parcel over. Part of the parcel is on both sides of the creek. Much of the land is in a flood zone but belonged to a commune and was its community garden. There is electric service and a very strong well and multiple hydrants on the property and some decent fencing on half that would be suitable for cows etc. the soil is amazing compared to the clay in most of the area.
This property is a short enough distance from the house that a bike or scooter would get us there if fuel was scarce and walking could be an option.
For that not having all my eggs in a single basket approach, I bought a strange little parcel on a creek with 30 feet of frontage that is 50 down to 30 feet wide for 1200 feet or more. this is half wooded with native trees including hickory and half pasture and will become a small fruits farm and a food forest, ie a permaculture farm. I have placed a shed/cabin there and enjoy spending the night and working over there as time permits. I have electric there and water. Hopefully a septic system will add value and functionality in the near future. the land is lightly terraced and the rows of grapes and berries on each level are very easy to envision. Because of its shape this property is deemed almost useless and I am glad as I pay my 12.00 tax bill each year.

1 Like

Congrats on beginning your HS journey. As an encouragement, I will brag a bit. Our youngest just graduated with High Honors from the Community College and was the Physics Student of the year as well as the school of Arts and Sciences student of the year. She will transfer to a state University with a very large Engineering program. Our oldest ( of 2) also graduated CC with Honors, got her bachelors is working on a masters in Accouncancy online with a respected program and just got a 9k pay raise at work. We homeschooled k-graduation. I off loaded some of the math and science by graduating one a year and one two years early and letting them clime the ladder at the CC after taking placement exams. This made for a nice transition between HS and 4 year University.

1 Like

Wow, congrats ?️ Of course HS is manageable, as long as the practical circumstances are available (mainly time, resources and skills). Due to our flexible lifestyle (working from home and running my own consulting business) HS was the perfect choice for us, and I am happy to have the opportunity. Otherwise it would mean way too many bad educational experiences for my daughter and it would have very negative effect on her happiness.

Crash Course 1.0

Chris,
I took the Crash Course back in 08/09. It changed my perspective on the economic system as I knew it back at that time. The “Course” led me to “Change Course,” as it were, in making my investment decisions. Though I had read “Twilight in the Desert,” and had been following assorted bloggers like Mike Sherlock and Tim Icano’s “The Mess that Greenspan Made,” iTulip and Nichole Foss, it was The Crash Course that nudged me into full on defense mode. The informed decisions I was therefore able to make resulted in my coming through the GFC pretty much unscathed. Thank you for that! Having just finished Episode 1 above, congratulations, you’ve got me hooked. I’m looking forward to future episodes with bated breath!