Garbage 'Science': Be Wary Of What You're Being Told

Well boy fucking howdy. Cinchona is also used to treat DRUM ROLL please ARRHYTHMIAS.
OKAY Doc forget the HCQ because it causes heart problems just give me the fucking Chinchona bark. Back atya Fauci.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-406/cinchona#:~:text=Cinchona%20is%20a%20tree.,varicose%20veins%2C%20and%20leg%20cramps.

I was pleased to see the Dr. Seheult video for the first time today. It put some reason and clarity to questions I had about the Quercetin / Zinc combo. I appreciated that he said that the zinc is not necessarily what mg os on the front of the bottle and one must actually look at the elemental quantity to equal 50 mg. Our #s are 1000 mg quercetin and now a true 50 mg zinc. We also enjoy a Tonic Water chaser for our anti-covid cocktail! I was thrilled to realize that it possibly functions as a prophylaxis. We’ve been taking it for a month now.
I’ve been following PP since early February. I think watching it and becoming aware has saved our lives. We wore masks before they were trending and people thought we were over-reacting and weird. (I bought them before they became unavailable + made many that I line with N95s or surgical masks - along with stocking our cupboards, planting our new veggie garden, stocking our vitamins to last a year, and isolating our senior-citizen-selves.) We are very grateful.

That’s great news - Cinchona - not on anyone’s radar (yet).
Dr Raoult is tweeting again after our long weekend: Harvey Risch - reference from Yale
https://academic.oup.com/aje/advance-article/doi/10.1093/aje/kwaa093/5847586
Too bad that you guys don’t speak French because Didier is quite funny.
https://t.co/YmpJFeHpKw?amp=1

Hi all,
As I was kind of desperate I tried it. I could not find any paper about it being an ionophore, only suggestions that it might be. Because CQ and HCQ the synthetic brethren of quinine, one of the components of chinchona, I thought it could work.
The same precautions that one needs to take with QC and HQC are of course valid. Check out the link posted by Mohammed Mast (source) for some cautionary information and background. Btw: Mohammed Mast is right, some compounds are used to treat arrythmia; also nice (plus risky for people using bloodthinners), it makes bloodclothing more difficult.
Plus: it reduces fever, but get not fooled by this. I found that in my case rest (lying down, not sitting) was really important.
@Susan7 and others: a teaspoon of the bark is 2 grams! Enough for 4 doses (=tea cups) it is advised not to exceed 0.5 grams per dosis, and maximal dose is 4 grams per day.
Concerning the taste: I kinda like it (now). I will get tested later this week, so I’ll have some confirmation if it worked, because I’m 100% sure I had it. I’ll let you know what the result is: N=1 is a start right?
Take care!

Hi summitday113,
Great find! But can you post the link? I cannot read the article because it is really blurry.
Thanks!

The mention of bicarbonate of soda reminded me of a documentary about the Spanish Influenza in Alabama. The elderly lady being interviewed said that her mother made the kids drink a teaspoon of bicarb in water every morning. She told them that it “balanced” their bodies or something like that. None of her family got sick, and they worked hard to make food for stricken families. My mom would sometimes make me drink it, but not for flu. Anyhow, the lady in the documentary said that pretty much every household in her town had someone sick in it. Lots of backyard burials and all. So the soda may do the trick on the cheap. Worth considering.

In Chris’s latest video, he ponders whether the virus is becoming less lethal, though pours cold water on the idea that it’s going away.
From the Worldometers web site, it looks like the daily number of cases is on the climb (so it’s not losing infectiousness, so probably hasn’t lost the furin clevage site) but the daily death toll does seem to be on the decline.
It would be great if it did degrade into something that was only as deadly as the flu. That seems like it might be one of the possible trajectories.

Without a substantial treatment protocol that is proven - how do you account for less lethality?

Hi sofistek & nordicjack,
I thought about that a lot lately. I could be that there is a seasonal influence: lockdown + summer might help. That leaves Brazil to be explained of course. Could it be that, due to the Brazilian president, actions were taken very late there, leading to belated self-quarentine and lockdown, i.e., staying indoors, less exposure to the sun. A couple of hours in the sun will lead to tens of thousands IU vitamine D. Additionally, UV will kill the virus: if there is exposure outdoors, the viral load will be tiny.
On the other hand: I do not agree with the current “second wave” interpretation. A flare-up now is basically still part of the first wave, “just” a reoccurrence. The same virus is still there. When you look at the Spanish flu however, there was really a lull in infections during the summer. The second wave started in September/October, totally wreaking havoc, most likely because the second wave virus was a mutated version.
Because of that I bought enough supplements (I will add sodium carbonate) for our family and friends to carry us through autumn, winter and spring. I hope that we do not need it. But as it is a European habit to visit other countries during the summer, I think that the possibility of exposing oneself, and therefor others, to (slightly) different versions of the virus is 100%. I think that the current statements about reduced lethality is wishful thinking: it is imo too early to tell.
We will enjoy our summer, and soak up the sun in the Netherlands. I hope you have the opportunity too to enjoy peaceful moments outside!

I mean we are doing a lot of social distancing - covering of face, less facial touching etc. people in general may be more observant of healthful actions. If innoculum quantity does effect out-come , our actions - could lower transmission, and lower virulence together. It is possible also , as we do this, the people who have less severe symptoms or disease, do not readily pass the deadliest form. basically if you get sick from someone with a mild case - you are more likely to have a mild case. I know there is no evidence - but after so many generations of the virus spreading while keeping mild it may no longer be severe form. hard to quantify but its theory.

Surely some governmental agency, research institute or curious individual is examining whether the level of severity of COVID19 in Europe is, in any way(or not), associated with the release of the new mammalian cell-based quadrivalent influenza vaccine (QIVc) that was made available in Europe for the 2019/2020 flu season.
Seems to me that a lot of the most severely affected are those in the groups (elderly, co-morbidities) most likely to have been early recipients of this new style of vaccine.
Just another box to tick on an ICU admissions form might help to shed some light on this.

From James Todaro, MD’s Twitter feed this morning;

Some real hummers in this article. We knew a lot of this - but this is now in the Guardian, so it has the imprimatur of respectability to it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/covid-19-surgisphere-who-world-health-organization-hydroxychloroquine

• A search of publicly available material suggests several of Surgisphere’s employees have little or no data or scientific background. An employee listed as a science editor appears to be a science fiction author and fantasy artist. Another employee listed as a marketing executive is an adult model and events hostess.
  • The company’s LinkedIn page has fewer than 100 followers and last week listed just six employees. This was changed to three employees as of Wednesday.
  • While Surgisphere claims to run one of the largest and fastest hospital databases in the world, it has almost no online presence. Its Twitter handle has fewer than 170 followers, with no posts between October 2017 and March 2020.
  • Until Monday, the get in touch” link on Surgisphere’s homepage redirected to a WordPress template for a cryptocurrency website, raising questions about how hospitals could easily contact the company to join its database.
  • Desai has been named in three medical malpractice suits, unrelated to the Surgisphere database. In an interview with the Scientist, Desai previously described the allegations as “unfounded”.
  • In 2008, Desai launched a crowdfunding campaign on the website indiegogo promoting a wearable “next generation human augmentation device that can help you achieve what you never thought was possible”. The device never came to fruition.
  • Desai’s Wikipedia page has been deleted following questions about Surgisphere and his history.
---------------------- "It's not the crime that gets you. It's the coverup." And sometimes its the crime too, when things are egregious enough. They must have been absolutely desperate.

This is really, really good work. In vitro, but probably meaningful given all that we know so far;

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.26.114033v2.full.pdf Conclusion and recommendations for future work Our data clearly indicated that R- and S-enantiomer of CQ and HCQ exhibited significantly different properties against SARS-CoV-2. This is the first time that the enantioselective antiviral activities of CQ and HCQ against SARS-CoV-2 have been demonstrated in vitro. The Senantiomers of both CQ and HCQ, proved to be 27% and 60% more active than their corresponding R-enantiomers. Since we have demonstrated the in vitro antiviral activities mainly derived from the S-isomer, it is reasonable to expect the drug dose can be decreased to half of that or even less than the racemates for a similar antiviral effect, while eliminating the untoward side effects brought upon by the Risomer. Moreover, our data showed a more significant difference in antiviral activity between two enantiomers of HCQ as compared to CQ. Taken all these together with previous studies on malaria, HIV, and human pharmacokinetic data implicating greater ocular accumulation of R-isomers, we opine a clear preference for the further development of S-HCQ as an enantiomerically pure drug for treating COVID-9 within this compound class. In summary, we have demonstrated unequivocally a pronounced difference in antiviral activities of enantiomers of CQ and HCQ. Racemate CQ or HCQ would be less preferred for COVID-19 applications unless shown to be so by further pharmacological testing. With the prospect of reducing or eliminating adverse effects attributed to the presence of R-HCQ, we strongly recommend further studies especially human clinical trials be conducted with pure S-HCQ, constituting the most expedient and highly probable way to double the therapeutic index of HCQ.

Couldn’t find a more recent post, so I’m putting this here. Published today by Reuters and sent to me by a friend that I’ve been having a friendly debate with. Hope Chris will look into the data when it is published. Takeaways: 1) HCQ studied as prophylactic, not early onset as far as I can tell; 2) No harmful side effects seen.; 3) No significant benefit as preventative; 4) Zinc was included in about 20% of cases.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-idUSKBN23A34F?fbclid=IwAR2iAbqRv1GmnBKFhYEJZrwRXGT46XJE8UHAFIlLNE5aSZU2EWI87qmqAeM

Yup, this is interesting. If optically pure forms of HCQ can be made inexpensively, it would make an effective dose even smaller (and thereby even safer). And it “feels” right that there should be a difference in the biological activity of different isomers. Cool!!

I looked through the fully published study online. I could not find zinc mentioned a single time. Am I missing something ?
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

Thanks for the link. I was going off of the Reuters story. I’ll check it out.

Table S-8 in the Appendix. I would like to know why there was no discussion of it in the paper.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638/suppl_file/nejmoa2016638_appendix.pdf