Get Ready... Change Is Upon Us

Two weeks ago many on here were hoping Clinton wouldn't win. Wish granted. Now we're dissecting the resultant set of circumstances of that desired outcome. Why?

If you subscribe to the general theory - as many have done here, including I - that the Prez is selected and not elected, then the amount of electronic real estate & energy now devoted on these pages to Trump, rigging, and voter protests is largely irrelevant. Under that theory the course of future events was already charted many months ago, and we are now at the start of that future.

Instead, I ask myself: why was Trump selected by that powerful invisible engine to be the juggernaut's driver? He has no political experience, a big mouth... but of course he has nothing to lose. He's a perfect scapegoat. Or to some he's a change agent with fresh ideas. Or maybe both. Me, I suspect he will in reality have few executive powers. Everything will be steered from the back seat.

I don't pretend in the slightest to know what the elites are up to. I cannot peel back the many layers which surely underpin Trump's selection. However, I - like Chris - sense a massive change coming, and we aren't even at the start yet. The change could be good. But what are those chances, given the endlessly climbing tower of debt while we hurtled faster towards a mathematically-certain brick wall of finite growth? Anything which could've benefited the 95% (i.e. the likes of us) would've happened already. We're now looking at the alternative. 

Many of us here have suffered preparedness fatigue for 3,4, maybe 7 years while waiting - and probably hoping - for the house of cards to collapse and the broom to be swept through. Now we may well have got what we wanted. Are you prepared?

On Facebook, and somewhat on here, I see a lot of pro-Trump celebrating, as if he is going to usher in a new age, solve our problems, and actually hand things back to the little people. Guys and gals, he's a billionaire who was born into money. He belongs to the very same class of people who have been screwing us over for decades, AND he elevated racism, misogyny and bigotry to new heights of acceptability in public discourse. Clinton was hardly better, of course, but have you seen his cabinet choices? He's no more going to represent "middle America" than Hillary could represent the working classes, so I stand by my original pre-election prediction: With Hillary, we're f**ked, and with Trump we're screwed. Out with the old, in with the old.

Don't put away your Vaseline so soon, because this pain-train is just leaving the station.

When I see the amount of name-calling, labeling, and vitriol on my Facebook feed between and among my liberal friends/family and my conservative ones, I can't help but tip my cap to the elite…because here they have us going at each other again, while they laugh all the way to the bank and their bunkers, saying "You little people can eat cake."

-S

Imagine a different history where Hillary won and the Trumpsters rioted.
What would the State's reaction have been?

There is absolutely no moral imperative to treat your opponent any better than he treats you.

Philosopher Stephan Molyneux discusses this issue.

http://www.fdrpodcasts.com/#/3494/antidonald-trump-protests-and-riots-true-news

QE for the forgotten people?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevekeen/2016/11/09/to-make-america-great-again-write-off-the-private-debt/#6a2a498020a3

he came from the upper class in a perilous time not unlike this one.  Delivered the New Deal. 

Time will tell..

Great article Chris… Just FYI, Jonathan Pie is actually just a character "played" by the British actor Tom Walker…but Jonathan/Tom absolutely nails it 100%.
Hugh

treebeard,
your post was irresponsible and anti-factual and i feel i have to respond.

HRC is not by even the wildest stretch of the imagination, a libertarian.

she does not represent any libertarian values, and isn't supported by any libertarians that i know of.

go to any libertarian oriented website, such as liberty.me, and have a look at what people were saying before the election. libertarians supported johnson, or trump. HRC had a support of zero, i literally don't recall a single libertarian supporting HRC.

yes, libertarian values include small government, low taxes, personal freedom (and i would add to that: respect for the constitution and rule of law). HRC embodies none of those.

HRC is a neocon, not a libertarian.

if you want to argue that HRC favors small government, low taxes, personal freedom, and respect for the rule of law, then by all means go ahead and make a case for it, but you didn't, and you won't be able to, because that's not reality.

i don't know what compelled you to write such a thing. perhaps you don't like libertarians, and that's fine. but to attempt to besmirch them by saying HRC is one of them is irresponsible, and simply not truthful.

stick to the facts, please.

Isn't it surprising how close the popular vote is in our elections year after year? The electoral college may be a landslide but the popular vote is generally fairly close. However, this makes 5 of the last 7 elections when neither candidate even reached 50% of the popular vote. We haven't had a 60% turnout of voters since 1968 or a 70% turnout since 1900. There must be some serious gains in disaffecting 40-50% of the voters.
Divide and Rule isn't just for colonies, it is also effective at controlling populations at home. Unless there is an existential threat to the nation (maybe war with Russia?) there is no real desire to unite the country's population. If we voted based on our economic wellbeing then a candidate could theoretically unite 95% (or any other percent below 99.9%) by proposing more equitable allotment of the nation's GDP, as occurred pre 1970, much to the detriment of 'the elite'. Social issues are effective at dividing us though, so many of us vote against our own economic interests. In principle, this would be fine, since not all of us are solely driven by our personal bottom lines. What boggles the mind though is that we continue to vote for 'parties' that promise us many things but never deliver. Delivering is not important for them though since having the dispute to continually motivate us is what is key.

So, in sum, 40-50% of us can't be motivated with 'hot-button' topics and the rest of us have the memory spans of goldfish swimming around a bowl every four years to the perception of having a new experience.

Homo sapiens sapiens

Despite the MSM rhetoric, I don't for a second believe that the choice was between misogamy, sexism, bigotry, and homophobia vs diversity and inclusion.  To me that was yet another tool being used to influence voters.
Whatever other themes were playing on Election Day, I believe a large portion of the message delivered was NOT HILLARY.  The DNC is largely to blame for that, not the voters who couldn't abide the DNC candidate.

Along the same lines, wanting reasonable control over immigration does not imply racism.  Even as we speak, Europe is showing us that uncontrolled immigration has a price.

Here is what is the immigration issue is about.
le Grange is looking better and better.

Here is the libertarian platform:

Governments throughout history have regularly operated on the opposite principle, that the State has the right to dispose of the lives of individuals and the fruits of their labor. Even within the United States, all political parties other than our own grant to government the right to regulate the lives of individuals and seize the fruits of their labor without their consent.

We, on the contrary, deny the right of any government to do these things, and hold that where governments exist, they must not violate the rights of any individual: namely, (1) the right to life—accordingly we support the prohibition of the initiation of physical force against others; (2) the right to liberty of speech and action—accordingly we oppose all attempts by government to abridge the freedom of speech and press, as well as government censorship in any form; and (3) the right to property—accordingly we oppose all government interference with private property, such as confiscation, nationalization, and eminent domain, and support the prohibition of robbery, trespass, fraud, and misrepresentation.

Since governments, when instituted, must not violate individual rights, we oppose all interference by government in the areas of voluntary and contractual relations among individuals. People should not be forced to sacrifice their lives and property for the benefit of others. They should be left free by government to deal with one another as free traders; and the resultant economic system, the only one compatible with the protection of individual rights, is the free market.

HRC is bent on the removal of government influence on the free markets, as well as every other aspect of civic life. The "trade" deals explicit purpose is (NAFTA, TPP, etc) is to circumvent all government influence on international trade and national laws, leaving them impotent.  Allowing multinational corps (an entity in the free market acting as a free trader) to sue national governments for any infringement on their ability to make a profit, whether that cause be from labor laws, environmental laws, health and welfare laws, food safety laws, etc.

Prison industrial complex, removal of government control in all aspects of that, so that prison system can act in the free market of the criminal just system in order to pursue their interests as a free trader.

Health care system, remove the government of all controls so that big pharma, insurance giants, medical industry can act as free trader in the free market without the fear of government regulation.

Wall Street and the Banking System, eliminate government influence and regulation so the private "federal" reserve banking system can act in the free market to pursue its interests as a free trader.

Military industrial complex, eliminate government influence there as well.  So that military armament sales and wars can be based on a free market entity pursuing their interests as a free trader.  There is no draft, so conscripts are there of their own free will, acting as free agents in a free market as well so no problem there right?

What vestiges of government remain are simply instruments that free market entities use to pursue market share nationally and on the global stage and of course give the illusion that citizens have a say in national affairs.  If you were to ask HRC and her cronies on wall street if they favored the elimination of Government all together, I'm sure the answer would be a resounding YES!  Of course they would never say that, as she has advised already, you need to have a separate private and public persona.

Government is already dead, private banking interests and multinational corps already rule the world.  So what are we supposed to do now, burry the dead copses of government.  Hate to turn a phrase, but stand around and kick a dead horse? I'm sure this Neoliberal disaster is not what libertarians had mind. Enlighten as to how we are supposed to from here to what libertarians have in mind.

Am I being too negative here?

https://steemit.com/trump/@corbettreport/meet-team-trump

If anyone is surprised by this, I have land in the Florida everglades I want to sell you.  Thanks for the link Bankers Slave.  I'm not sure that 46% of the population staying home is exactly good news.  If people showed up, it would force the hand, and fraud would be out in the open, so perhaps something would start to happen.  Who knows.

https://youtu.be/KTW3ABcSZ88

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicherheitsdienst

Arthur, Australia's ABC wouldn't recognise style even if it was walked all over by a 100 pairs of Jimmy Choos.

Actually off to a good start with Kellyanne Conway breaking the glass ceiling as campaign advisor, and Peter Theil (Gay) and Ben Carson (Black) on the transition team. Looks like a rainbow to me.

Mkay, sure. Trump, the embracer of rainbow diversity. Yep.

We'll see, won't we? I'm not going to hold my breath for that brave, new world and all.

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if it comes to pass, though.

Treebeard,
I've got to disagree with you on this one. You said:

"Health care system, remove the government of all controls so that big pharma, insurance giants, medical industry can act as free trader in the free market without the fear of government regulation."

Do you suppose we currently have a free market in healthcare and that the government is doing a good job of managing the costs of healthcare? Is that your assessment of what is currently going on in the healthcare industry? Great, I didn't think so. 

So lets look at the free market aspect of health. 

1. Health insurance companies are a racket because they insure everything, not catastrophic events like auto insurance. Everyone knows they will have to go to the doctor, just like everyone knows they have to change their oil, but your car insurance doesn't cover your oil changes, does it? Likewise, your health insurance shouldn't cover simple doctors visits, it should largely be used for high cost events. If this were the case, people would be more sensitive to the costs incurred for going to doctor for stupid problems (I've had a sore throat for 3 days now, gee golly). Obamacare also dictates what must be covered by the policy which has added to the cost of the policies. 

2. Health insurance tied to employment came out of the WWII as a result of price and wage controls. Thanks, government. If it wasn't for this, individuals would be able to pool together to get health insurance free of employer sponsored care. That isn't the case now due to the precedent that has been set and now individuals trying to purchase insurance are pretty much screwed. 

3. Prices are not transparent. In a 'free market' prices would be transparent like this surgery center in Oklahoma. Why? Because the market would dictate such. Would you go to a hospital where an MRI costs $3,000 versus an imaging center down the street where it costs 600? No, no you wouldn't. The only reason people do this now is that the co-pay is the same whether the MRI is $3,000 or $600. Would you pay 500 bucks for an oil change when you can get one for $75? Not likely. Transparency decreases prices. 

4. It takes 10 years and billions of dollars to get a drug through to market. These drug companies submit terabytes, you read that right, terabytes of data when getting their products approved. In one sense it's good because it is well researched, but that takes a long time and is expensive. This creates a barrier to entry. Why on earth is an Epi-pen $300-600? Auto injector + epinephrine = not expensive. Because the barrier to entry is so high no one can come along and disrupt the market in a short amount of time. Thanks, government. If we had lower barriers to entry and more of a free market, there would be actual competition. Another example is CroFab vs. Anavip. Anavip is produced in Mexico and is trying to get into the US market but CroFab producers have filed a lawsuit against them. CroFab is more expensive and less effective, government protectionism at it's finest. Competition lowers prices - look at your computer screen for proof. 

5. Reductionism doesn't work in healthcare. The government boondoggle has completely screwed the pooch and has created a healthcare epidemic of obesity and diabetes by emphasizing simple carbohydrates over healthy fats (including saturated). If you need more evidence, read The Paleo Diet and Good Calories, Bad Calories. Subsidizing corn, soy, and wheat and not vegetables and fruit has partially led us to where we are (not libertarian). Likewise, suburbs and driving instead of urban density and walk able neighborhoods are not smart and leads to poorer health. Government subsidies for certain foods have led to poorer health, not libertarian.

While the libertarian perspective is an improvement over the current situation in medicine, it's not perfect. If anyone has any interest in a better approach to medicine, I suggest you read this free e-book that covers the Singapore healthcare model. Here are the cliff notes:

1. Govt provides guaranteed coverage for those in need, but it's not nice - no private rooms, no cushy hospital stays, but it's cheap and it works. 

2. Different organizations work together in the government to create a market for healthy foods and walk able neighborhoods.

3. Citizens have to save a certain portion of their paycheck for health insurance, but prices are transparent. If you go to the hospital you can choose a double room vs. private room if you want to save money on your stay. Likewise, insurance prices are transparent. Making people responsible for their healthcare dollars incentivizes savings (unlike medicare/medicaid). 

4. That's all I remember from the book, but it's free and a lot of it would be an improvement over our current situation, which, is about as far from a libertarian 'free market' as you can get. 

Snyedman…I'm just stating facts…Do you dispute my statement?.. "Actually off to a good start with Kellyanne Conway breaking the glass ceiling as campaign advisor, and Peter Theil (Gay) and Ben Carson (Black) on the transition team. Looks like a rainbow to me."…These are real people and he has really chosen them…and they are really diverse. I'm sorry if the reality doesn't fit with your theory.