"It's Really Bad" - Oil Supplies Intentionally Overstated

The Guardian published an explosive article today.  If true, it means that governments have been intentionally overstating the amount of oil that we have and could pump out of the ground. The implications are enormous.

This confirms the evidence that I saw at ASPO that had been painstakingly developed by independent researchers.  So we might want to incorporate this news into our personal and financial frameworks.

First, a snippet:

Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure, says whistleblower

The world is much closer to running out of oil than official estimates admit, according to a whistleblower at the International Energy Agency who claims it has been deliberately underplaying a looming shortage for fear of triggering panic buying.

The senior official claims the US has played an influential role in encouraging the watchdog to underplay the rate of decline from existing oil fields while overplaying the chances of finding new reserves.

The allegations raise serious questions about the accuracy of the organisation's latest World Energy Outlook on oil demand and supply to be published tomorrow – which is used by the British and many other governments to help guide their wider energy and climate change policies.

In particular they question the prediction in the last World Economic Outlook, believed to be repeated again this year, that oil production can be raised from its current level of 83m barrels a day to 105m barrels. External critics have frequently argued that this cannot be substantiated by firm evidence and say the world has already passed its peak in oil production.

Now the "peak oil" theory is gaining support at the heart of the global energy establishment. "The IEA in 2005 was predicting oil supplies could rise as high as 120m barrels a day by 2030 although it was forced to reduce this gradually to 116m and then 105m last year," said the IEA source, who was unwilling to be identified for fear of reprisals inside the industry. "The 120m figure always was nonsense but even today's number is much higher than can be justified and the IEA knows this.

"Many inside the organisation believe that maintaining oil supplies at even 90m to 95m barrels a day would be impossible but there are fears that panic could spread on the financial markets if the figures were brought down further. And the Americans fear the end of oil supremacy because it would threaten their power over access to oil resources," he added.

A second senior IEA source, who has now left but was also unwilling to give his name, said a key rule at the organisation was that it was "imperative not to anger the Americans" but the fact was that there was not as much oil in the world as had been admitted. "We have [already] entered the 'peak oil' zone. I think that the situation is really bad," he added.

If this is true, and if it needs to be confirmed, it means that all models of stocks and bonds that rely on long-term cash flow models are wrong.  It means that our primary assumption of petroleum fueled growth is wrong.

It means that we are several decades late in responding.  It means that we do not have time to slowly modify our fleet to carbon-fiber electric cars or any other fantasy technology.

It means that we've squandered (and continue to squander) our most valuable resource of them all - time.

I'll be honest, I would feel completely differently if there was even a glimmer that anybody in DC had the slightest inkling of the seriousness of the situation, but they display no public awareness.

To give one example of what I would be looking for, if we were on a crash program to convert cars to natural gas, mandating smaller and lighter vehicles going forward, and building the NG distribution pipelines and refueling stations necessary to make it all work, I'd have some reason to hope that we could manage the outcome somewhat favorably.

Instead, we have Cash4Clunkers as our most significant energy policy of the new millennium.  The gap between reality and policy dwarfs the Grand Canyon.

Given the complete lack of official leadership, and the presence of willful obfuscation of the public on the matter, I come to the conclusion that those who are working to secure the future of their own households and communities are the visionaries of our times.

The definition of a hero is someone who does something at risk to themselves because it needs to be done.  They see something that needs their efforts and they give it.  It is not easy to do something completely different from everybody else, and there's a distinct social risk involved when that requires telling people a difficult truth.

Yet most people in most communities get their news and information from sources that are steadily being revealed to be more than unreliable, but actually misdirective.  One of the most common things I hear from people is that most people in their community have no idea what is coming or what the main issues really are.

Most would have no idea what is implied by the possibility that governments have been systematically overstating oil reserves and future flows.

But you do.

I implore you to keep on attempting to educate your friends, neighbors, and community.  I honor you for taking on the heroic efforts that requires.

Because if what the Guardian reported is true, it means that the future will change profoundly, radically, and probably quite suddenly when the implications are more widely appreciated.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/its-really-bad-oil-supplies-intentionally-overstated-2/

The story will be largely suppressed in the US MSM. I am shocked that the guardian would actually release this story but koodos to them. This wont make headlines and even if it did most of the public is so dumbed down that they will say “oh, well we have plenty of il but those damn greenies wont let us drill”. If only they knew.
I think awareness will become more widespread when we have the next oil crunch with prices 120+. Of course with economy in the tank it could be a while. Judging how slow the american public reacts to events such as PO it will take them a loooong time to get on board, buying us “doomers” more time to prepare.

This is certainly important, but IMHO, it hardly qualifies as “news”. Ok, the comments from ex-IEA officials are newsworthy, but it’s been common knowledge for years that governments have a strong financial incentive to overstate their petroleum reserves. The notion that they might actually have been responding to that incentive should surprise nobody.
IMHO, the key lies in the OPEC qouta system. The amount that each member nation is allowed to produce during a production quota is a function of their stated reserves. Saudi Arabia keeps selling zillions upon zillions of barrels, yet their reserves never seem to go down. It’s not hard to connect the dots on this one…

I would contend that nobody knows now much oil is left in the ground. The incentives for the individual countries who know what their share really is to lie about it are too great.

I think that the heavy-sour/light-crude price spread is going to be the giveaway. The OPEC countries have had a strong incentive to sell off their light crude first during production cutbacks. When we see the spread blow out, it will be a sign that they are running out of the much more desirable light sweet variety of crude oil.

Erik

And what are our “politicians” working on this week? Health Care. This time the stone age may just end when there aren’t anymore stones to rub together.

But then there is Iraq:

If there is increased stability in Iraq then production from this country could provide a 20 year cushion to the left side of the peak curve. So even as production falls from existing fields, were the Iraqi fields to be developed the shortfall can be replaced. Iraqi production was driving higher in the late 70’s and then plummeted as the oil embargo, war with Iran, the US, UN sanctions, and the current bloodbath essentially crushed investment and production. Thus, supply has been saved due to political factors.

Note the new deals coming out of Iraq.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601072&sid=ar1BLZE3ylI8

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125577347155891969.html

Eric,
What symbols or data can I track for the ratio of heavy to light  crude.  Futures contracts?

Thanks in advance.

mark

I don’t know if its a function of my age, awareness, or both, but I have come to truly hate my country. More specifically, I hate my government and the corporations that govern it. Everywhere I turn I see blatant corruption…its infuriating!
Back to anger again…sorry…I fear I will never escape this cycle of consciousness…

1. Good program on CNBC now on Business Innovation.

[quote=JAG]
I don’t know if its a function of my age, awareness, or both, but I have come to truly hate my country. More specifically, I hate my government and the corporations that govern it. Everywhere I turn I see blatant corruption…its infuriating!

Back to anger again…sorry…I fear I will never escape this cycle of consciousness…

[/quote]I’m so disgusted with blue pill leadership and following that I spent the entire day googling dual citizenship and Argentina. North of 100 trillion in debt and what are these morons doing? Health Care and sending 40,000 troops to Afganistan. We are running out of oil and what are they doing? Cash for clunkers. Erik said it right about the reporters, I’d argue that these people should wear helmets to.

Thanks, Jag, for saying what I have been thinking for a very long time.  It’s the last taboo- saying you hate what your country, or at least those running it, has become.   The betrayal is all the worse for those of us who had hopes for Obama.
Today, out of economic necessity but also sheer frustration and livid anger, I defaulted on my mortgage and my credit cards.  If I have to spend the rest of my life hiding from the IRS, I’ll do that too. I vacillate between just wanting to be dead and have it over with, and the sense of responsibility I feel for my children. 

I’ve long been an advocate of secessionism. Barring a vote by the masses on that, I think I’ll just do it personally. I hereby secede from the United States of Sheep.  Bahhhhhh…

Ruppert was right. 

Pitchforks sharpened while you wait.

“I implore you to keep on attempting to educate your friends, neighbors and community. I honor you for taking on the heroic efforts that requires.”
 Speaking as a jaded evangelist…

I suggest selective proselytisation… first those you care about, then who you think may understand…

after that… we’re into “pearls before swine”  territory…   lousy to negative ROI …

cast them last… and lightly…

enlightenment triage… ?

I.R.S.Interest Retrieval Service… A wholly owned subsidiary of The Federal Reserve System.

Don’t laugh it’s true!

Sgnalfire, so sorry to hear about your situation!  Be strong; your loved ones need you. 

Chris said:

"Most would have no idea what is implied by the possibility that governments have been systematically overstating oil reserves and future flows.

But you do.

I implore you to keep on attempting to educate your friends, neighbors and community. I honor you for taking on the heroic efforts that requires.

Because if what the Guardian reported is true, it means that the future will change profoundly, and radically and probably quite suddenly when the implications are more widely appreciated."

Thanks for the motivational nudge, Chris; you've got a good heart.

Thanks also to you and your family for your efforts on all of our behalfs!

[quote=Davos]
I spent the entire day googling dual citizenship and Argentina. 

[/quote] 

What did you find out??

The best way may be to prepare for the fact that the majority of people around you will not be prepared and before it’s too late we could keep everything from completely collapsing after everything starts to fall apart. There is no running water, power is intermitten at best, what is everyone going to do? Your best chance at surviving may be to teach a bunch of people how to store rain water, have a composting toilet, grow food etc.
If I lived in an area that had no local resources I would get out of there fast. I’m betting being a bit north would be better as it’s harder to live through a winter and many will likely head south.

it’s probably not news to anyone following Peak Oil issues about manipulation of oil reserve figures, but perception is everything.  Once the perception gets out in the mainstream lookout because I’m guessing there could be huge swings in the markets.

FJ… no need for panic… it took 80 years to climb the peak… the transition is inevitable but not instant…

Realisation can occur instantly… but the actual descent will be gradual…

Everything will not fall apart instantly… it will degrade… and evolve…

Hopefully the evolve part of the equation has a higher exponent than the degrade part…

bearmarkettrader, there’s only one thing wrong with this hopeful chart of yours…  IF depletion starts next year, and runs at ~5% pa, then by 2020 when Iraq reaches maximum extraction rate of ~7Mbbls/day, the world oil production will have reduced by 30 Mbbls/day… so now add Iraq, and we have 50Mbbls/day of production, STILL down 22 Mbbls/day (all fugures in conventional oil)
Unfortunately, reverse exponential (depletion) is just as staggering as the growth hockey stick is, only in reverse!

Mike

Dont despair, friend.  In a debt-based monetary system like ours, once deflation sets in there is not enough new money created to pay off the existing debt plus the interest.  Some people, through no fault of their own, won’t be able to get their hands on the money necessary to pay their debt and interest.  Almost all of us took on debt to make up for falling real wages to maintain our standard of living for the past decade or so. You are in good company, this is happening to everyone.  I suggest you find a way to reach out to others in your situation.  Your family will be OK, you may be able to stay in your home for a long time to come the way foreclosures are progressing (or not progressing).  Look into the court cases where the foreclosee demands to see the note, and the MRS cant find it.  There are probably nice rentals in your area where you will be able to live if/when you have to move.

Everything will be OK.  Different, but OK.

Perhaps its an area where we can learn from first nation people?  You can love the land where you live/are from with the understanding that a country, state, county are just lines drawn by people/politicians

Back on thread.  Wow!  I have already forwarded on the article to folks