Market Update: Comforting Lies

Redneck Engineer-
Shorting is not hard to do mechanically, but if you look over the long haul, mostly the market goes up, so you are going against the very long term trend here. And the Fed, and Trump all want SPX to rise, so there’s that too. Trillions in money printing help to push equity prices higher too. Just a caveat.
An instrument I’ve used in the past was SH; it is a 1x market short ETF, so it doesn’t decay, and you can hold it for a while without losing your shirt from a stupid structural problem. And you can do this trade in a long-only account.
If you have the trade permissions, you can also short the ETFs directly. Use a stop - put in place when you enter the trade - so you limit your losses if you are wrong. We are wrong often in life. You could be wrong here too. Don’t short more than you have cash in your account. If the trade goes against you, well, losses on short positions can theoretically be infinite. So - use stops.
Options are mostly a money-losing proposition, unless you know mostly for certain what the timing is. You would want to have a put option - you can buy puts on SPY (the SPX ETF), or on any of the sector funds (some examples are financials: XLF, tech: XLK, homebuilders: XHB, energy: XLE). You can look up the option prices for (say) 3-4 months out, and see how much they cost you.
I bought some 2-month SPY and 4-month XLF puts immediately prior to the Feb/March crash, because I was confident on the timing. Pandemic doubling times told me roughly when things would blow up. In retrospect, 4 months was unnecessary; 2 would have been fine.
Now - I have some puts I bought because of that German court ruling; I thought that the EU trouble will happen prior to the 3-month deadline, so that was the option duration. Today I’m thinking it might take longer. This is the problem with options. You can be right as to direction, but if your timing isn’t accurate, you lose your entire bet.
So - short answer - my suggestion is not to buy options unless you have a fair amount of confidence about when something will happen. In options, when is just as important as direction.
So if you have a sense the market will drop, but you don’t know when, then short is the better bet. You won’t make as much, but - you won’t lose your entire bet if your timing is a month or two off.
And - technically - you probably want to wait to go short until prices start to actually move downhill. Shorting as prices rise - probably not the best idea.
And you can start small to see how it all works. During a big move down, prices move around a lot, in both directions. The volatility can be really unnerving.
Just to be clear, I’m just explaining mechanics here; I’m not telling you to go short. “Not financial advice.” Etc.

As a BC westcoaster, this nearly brought tears to my eyes. I am not of Indigenous descent, but as a marginalized person I find many of the writings that come from that cohort resonate with me deeply. There are several passages from this article that I thought applicable to this discussion:

...I don’t know why Tahlequah’s calf died. I can recite the pressures that bear down on the ocean, on orcas in general, on Tahlequah’s pod in particular. I carry that anxiety in my bones like ocean salt etching into my marrow. Dwindling food sources. Chemical and noise pollution. The lingering intergenerational impacts of all the live captures in decades past. The hazards of shipping oil. The low howl of climate change. ...And when I watched her pod take turns lifting that calf up so she could rest as she completed her sacred work, Tahlequah reminded me that we do not move through grief and uncertainty alone. We do it with our community bearing witness. And our community endures. ...But if we want to create the conditions for orcas and all ocean relatives to survive and to thrive, all of us — no matter whether our experience is direct or indirect — need to forge a connection. The way western society interacts with the world is often rooted in disconnection, in dissociation. We think we are architects of the order of the world, that our needs are the higher needs. This kind of thinking is so firmly embedded in my broader social context, and when it creeps into my thinking, I have to remind myself: think like an ancestor. If disconnection is the root cause of what has made our world, and the orcas’ world, so precarious — the antidote is connection. Building connection is building community.
As an Accessibility Consultant, my key primary focus is trying to get people and organizations to understand that the strongest communities / teams are the most diverse teams. Each unique perspective and talent that is enabled to have a voice elevates the team to a higher plane of existence, one that makes other less diverse teams far less successful. While it is impossible for PP to be everything to everyone, it is important to make sure that diverse, disparate voices are heard, and empowered to be heard. It is also important that those, and indeed all voices, be respectful. I read A LOT of websites. It is rare to find the kind of civilized discourse that is found here. It is also rare to find a community like this that has the kind of long term connection among members that we have here. We can't let TPTB win by the divide and conquer they use successfully just about everywhere. We have to be better than that and we can be, as long as we do not let them erode or damage our connections. And we can only do that by staying strong and not letting our frustrations about SC2 or the economy or inequalities get the best of us - on either side. That is my two cents.... I hope you take a look at the article if only for the glorious Orca pics. Sometimes I am lucky enough to see a small pod on my daily walks. That is about as close to heaven on Earth as I get, and the best freebie ever! I am so, so grateful for that. And so grateful for this tribe for this is about the only place I have to exercise my intellect and rub shoulders with interesting, smart, thoughtful, people. I hope it always stays that way. You are my pod. Jan

I suspect that the good people here at PP are not actually the people that Granny resents. Those people are likely in the top 1% of the population with the greatest wealth, and those who run the large companies that are asking for government bailouts and/or the ultra rich who are accepting money being handed to them without question. But those people are not here at PP. They have their own circles and private clubs, and their own publications and information. I doubt very much that there are many PP members who are not empathetic to the plight of fellow citizens who have lost jobs, are hungry, or are apprehensive about the future.
But is the idea that people who do have some extra money, or a lot of extra money, should take it and give it away to strangers who have less? Should they take from the money set aside for their own future health care needs? Or from their wish to give their children or grand-children a head start in life? Or from their ability to care for aging parents, or their siblings? Or to stop contributions to charities close to their hearts?
Let us remember that we were already expecting a depression, or great recession, before the pandemic hit. We were also expecting other things – the media has told us for some time that government and corporate pensions will be bankrupt sooner rather than later; that a significant percent of people live paycheck to paycheck; that government, corporate and private debt is completely out of control. Everyone has had access to these facts and more, whether they are in the 52% or the 48%. There have been many warning signs and there has been time for everyone at all levels to try to take steps to get their house in order, and to reconsider purchases and other life decisions. But most of us didn’t do it.
It’s true that those of us who are now in dire straits are not likely paying attention to the markets. So a consideration of their circumstances would likely involve applying for welfare or other government aid that they may qualify for, borrowing from people they know, looking for work using their skills, thinking of other ways to make money, stealing, visiting food banks, and together with these options, economizing as much as possible. If Granny were to set up a separate Forum thread, others may have lots of great ideas and advice, for example how to save on food, or to live with others to share expenses etc. A couple of people have already started Forum threads to express their concerns about finances, and received some support and suggestions…. In any case, I hardly think that calling people ‘Have Nots’ makes them feel better about themselves or their situation.
Finally, I’m not understanding the comments in this thread and others, relating to criticisms of white men. What does race and sex have to do with one’s wealth? Or lack of it? I imagine there are many PP members who are in the lower half of the wealth continuum that are also white. But this is completely irrelevant. White men are just as precious as everyone else in the world.
There is no reason for any member here to feel badly or guilty about their skin colour, sex, or the amount in their bank account or portfolio, or the lack of it. We are all trying to do our best…

Thank you Jan. A story that touched my heart. And a timely reminder. Glad you’re here with your heart-felt perspectives.

I didn’t want to comment on this subject but its late so WTH. Its been a running argument here for a while now and one of the reasons I stopped commenting and participating as much as I had been at the start of this crisis.
Too many vocal people demanding things.
(Though I want to commend all the people who don’t, and who post information and long detailed comments. Thank you. I’ve learned so much from you.)
As a few of you know, I run John Michael Greer’s website based on his book “Green Wizardry”. It is perhaps the exact type of website that Granny wants Peak Prosperity to be, focused on the people without money and without a lot of resources, and tries to teach the skills you need to live in a collapsing world.
(BTW, if you have applied for a membership there and not logged in, please contact me via PM. Many of our notification emails end up in spam folders.)
It also doesn’t have a paid membership and free membership divide. I made the choice very early on to provide the content without regard to whether a person can pay or not. If you don’t have a pot to piss in, please visit us and join.
That said I want to say, that decision costs me around $2000 or more a year, to pay for things like hosting, website programs, paying for photos, IT people promising the Moon then ripping you off and all the other things that it takes to run even a moderately popular website. I can’t imagine the amount of money it takes Chris and Adam to run this site.
I don’t make the kind of money that such expenses is a small thing. And especially not now that I’m unemployed, even less so. This pandemic is crippling my poorly funded plans for retirement, day by day. And yet, even with recent health problems I still pay the website expenses because I feel sharing that info is important.
I also know from experience the time and effort it takes to write content, find or create photos, or graphs, diagrams or all the other things that go into making posts on complicated subjects. I can’t imagine the effort to create videos. I’ve made posts that took me hours to create and probably took minutes to read.
The depth of information that you need to teach all of the skills to live in a world that is economically and environmentally collapsing is huge. Its not just write a few articles and take a few pictures. Its also not something that gets done if people don’t step up and contribute.
Its awful easy to complain “Why don’t you cover this subject more”. I’ve had that complaint a lot of times. My response is always, take the time and effort to research those things that interest you, AND then write it up and share it. But I’ve had people flat out tell me, “I don’t have the time to do that.”
Too often, people expect others to do the hard work for them. That your website should be what they want it to be, not you.
I write and post the things that interest me knowing that in the vast Internet there are many websites that cover what I do not. I come to Peak Prosperity for what Chris and Adam cover and I don’t expect them to change that just because a few people want them to. They are unique on the Internet for their focus on the financial side of the World. I can find dozens of websites on low cost living and gardening. I can find few websites that do what they do. If you aren’t happy with what is offered here, either do the work yourself and add to it, or go someplace else for what you desire.
Since I’m sure those of you who want change will now just jump right in to create content, I look forward to the many half hour videos or in depth posts that will surely come out of this discussion by people who want to expand Peak Prosperity’s base of knowledge.

dtrammel,
Great post. You made a lot of good points, it takes a long time to write articles, blogs, etc. and just a few mins to read it. It also takes a long time to learn new skills, whether it’s gardening, composting, permaculture, and other homesteading skills, besides computer skills.
Before the virus, everything was on super speed, I have seen people in line at a fast food honking at the car in front of them also waiting to order; cars waiting for the red light to turn, honking at cars in front of them unable to move. Patience and observational skills not so high on people’s radar. It takes time to journey and move through life, relearning community, and collectively we need to relearn slowing down, paying attention, and realize everything is not delivered at super speed. For example, I can only imagine all of the hissy fits and temper tantrums, and hopefully eventually an awareness once some of the new gardeners learn how long it takes to grow food, nor does it always look “perfect” like it does in the stores.
I also consider hands-on skills such as repairing my shoes, or clothing, as a valuable skill, which takes time. I could go get my sewing machine from storage, but I also want to support local small businesses because I appreciate the time it takes them to do what they, and the hard work they put in to learn their craft. And to gather their tools of trade too…
I value Kunstler’s and Greer’s work for all of these years. I have many books from each of them, and over the years both of them have provided suggestions of what kinds of skills to learn in the coming years… All of which take patience, dedication, and hard work to learn. I was struggling to get this part, I hope we all start soon to appreciate the efforts and time involved for true artists to do what they do, and for people to learn and get in touch with their own abilities, to stop demanding everyone do it for them… Closer but not quite. Oh well.
Linda

You sir are for me one of the most valuable members of this online tribe. Your efforts during this crisis have been nothing short of phenomenal. Your gathering and sharing of important actionable information is much appreciated.
Thank you.
I guess it is typical for people to complain more than they acknowledge and express gratitude. I mentioned my broker before but here is another story he told me that seems to fit. In Italy the grape pickers would go down the rows. There would always be some that would pick the easiest grapes. The other pickers would call them creamers. They would deride them with that appellation. You sir are no creamer.
An old friend of mine (great singer song writer) wrote the following lines (1971)
" There’s an old old shack out across the street, gonna get it fixed up sure as I walk on my feet. You can learn a lot you know from a hammer’s sound, takes a lot to get it built up , nothing at all to tear it down"

Davefairtex -
Thanks again for yet another thoughtful, informative reply. This is the kind of discussion that makes forums valuable.
re: SH: what structural issues do you have in mind? Would a leveraged short ETF like SQQQ (which is 3x leveraged short NASDAQ) have these issues?
I’m not inclined to spend too much effort and time on trading. Years ago I looked at the rate of return for my investing, and found I was paying myself less than minimum wage. In other words, I’d have made more money with less risk by putting in overtime!
An option would be to let money managers (like New Harbor or others) handle investments. Yet, I investigate their methods for handling a market drop, I find their focus is very conservative - to preserve wealth - rather than looking at the market drop and its volatility as an opportunity for profit.
For instance, moving to cash at the start of the drop and back to equities at the end would be a great way to preserve wealth and buy cheap: it literally is selling high, then buying low. But it misses out on the opportunity to profit from the fall, by shorting, using a small portion of one’s assets, so there’s more funds for purchases at the market bottom.
Aside from the timing issues, is there a reason these money managers don’t do this? Certain hedge funds do engage in this, but is there a reason money managers don’t? Is there a legal / regulatory restriction? Or perhaps as a class the money manager client is more conservative than a hedge fund client?
Thanks.

OliveOilGuy** posted this comment (subject line, “PP as we enter the new paradigm”) that was apparently well-received by Adam and at least 8 PP members who “up-voted” this request: “I would like PP to do more articles and discussion on gardening, canning, livestock, personal protection, and general homesteading stuff.”
I too would like to see more current articles and discussion on the topics he’s suggested. I would be willing to contribute to this effort.
However, I find it interesting that no one told OliveOilGuy

• to stop complaining;
  • to find a more “constructive tone”;
  • stop expecting others to do the “heavy lifting” on creating content;
  • don’t expect anyone here at PP to come to his rescue;
  • to create his own Forum if he wanted this additional content;
  • moving personal stories about the positive impact Chris, Adam and PP has had on their lives;
  • that it is unreasonable and unfair to expect more as so much of the high quality, unique content on the site is provided “free”;
  • don’t be ungrateful, don’t look a “gift horse” (Chris, Adam) in the mouth;
  • to complete the following “to do” list: 1) identify content he’s seen elsewhere that would’ve been good here, 2) provide a list of 5 topics that could be covered here, and 3) list three personalities who could be interviewed here and on what subjects.";
  • “put-up or shut-up”;
  • stop the demands that this site jump to his tune;
  • to go find the requested content on other sites rather than expect PP to provide it;
  • become the change you wish to see;
  • take what you need (from PP) and leave the rest;
  • just leave;
  • take the advice offered in this thread; if not, moderator review is the likely next option.
    One commenter posited that Granny obviously has “an ax to grind” given her “constant complaining”. When someone doesn’t feel that their concerns have been heard or addressed, they tend to repeat them, often more emphatically. Or they simply disconnect and eventually depart.
    Granny is unapologetically feisty and a bit rough-around-the-edges. Several PP members have voiced their appreciation of these qualities and Granny’s comments and perspectives. Unfortunately, Granny sometimes uses language that triggers a negative response (e.g., “pandering”). When that happens some PP members predictably pile-on, IMO especially if they perceive any hint of criticism of Chris, Adam or PP.
    One commenter accused Granny of “animus”. This is an interesting choice of words, given that one definition of animus includes “…the masculine principle as present in women.” So Granny is admonished to change her “tone”. Interesting.
    I noted the preponderance of middle-aged/older, white, middle-higher income males in the PP/Azurite survey results. I never received confirmation that the survey respondents were indeed primarily PP users/members. This seemed set the stage for assumptions that Granny’s request for more balanced PP content addressing concerns of those not fitting that profile was somehow disparaging “middle-aged and old white guys” with established financial resources gained from their years of hard work. Wow, talk about triggered!
    I think JimH commented on the pushback and censorship Chris received from TPTB on his coronavirus videos was a positive indicator; that getting heavy “flak” was an indication that he was “over the target”. I don’t know whether this is the case with the pushback and potential censorship of Granny regarding her concerns and request.
    Several months ago I suggested the PP team might secure individuals with more diverse (e.g., non-white, female) representation and perspectives as possible Summit speakers, guest content contributors or podcast interviewees. In the past and again more recently, I’ve also requested some presumably minor, high-impact site modifications (e.g., search functions) and/or assistance to increase access to existing content and/or facilitate contributions of new content (e.g., PP Wikis). I know that the PP team has been extremely busy over the past several months. But for whatever reasons, these changes haven’t happened yet.
    Whether or not she’s moderated off the site, Granny has already stated that she will be putting her efforts and energy elsewhere. This is our loss.
    I think this most recent and unfortunate episode has effectively discouraged others from participating in PP discussions and membership. Again, our loss.

**NOTE: I’ve cited OliveOilGuy’s comment for purposes of contrast. My comments should not in any way be construed as being critical of or disparaging OliveOilGuy or his request (which I support).

Even I can see why one person has been disagreeable, and the other just mentioned new topics, I am sure you can see the difference too !

Oh, so being “agreeable” is now a tenet of qualifying for/remaining in the PP tribe or “Remnant”??? I wasn’t aware of that. Well that explains everything!
I’m curious as to whether there’s a different “agreeability” threshold or index for different members (e.g., by gender, age, membership status/length of membership)?
Thank you for enlightening me! :wink:

I don’t know if “agreeable” is the right word, but try this:

We expect people to maintain the same level of civility in posting that a polite wedding guest would have at the reception table —before drinks are served. We expect and require courteous interactions everywhere comments can be posted to the site. In an online community, social courtesies are observed, just as at a physical gathering. One doesn’t monopolize the conversation, pound the table about a single point until others’ eyes glaze over, insult their host or their fellow guests, or spew patently offensive slurs. Tactfulness is a reasonable expectation within a voluntary community. Please ask yourself these questions before making a post:
  1. Does my post constructively illuminate an issue or answer a specific question?
  2. If constructively critical, is it emotionally neutral and considerate? Does it offer specific, actionable solutions?
  3. If asking a question, is it a bona fide question that will lead to an increased understanding of the “Thee Es” and related topics?
Users should strive to post with integrity, accuracy and courtesy. We expect that users will not abuse their anonymity by posting things that a polite individual would refrain from saying in person.
https://peakprosperity.com/forum-topic/forum-guidelines-and-rules/

Online postings are anonymous, unless it is someone you have met personally at a Peak Prosperity event, you really have no idea of gender, age, gender identity, ethnicity, etc… you do not know if someone is as they say, I do not know any of these things about you nor you about me. And, it doesn’t matter, any of those things. I don’t want to know, for example, any of those things about “sparky” nor anyone else as it is not relevant.

I certainly don’t want AKGranny to leave - I think highly of her. I do think she got herself caught in a victim mentality of sorts… and I hope that she snaps out of it. She said she has a thick skin… so… have a thick skin.
I think the race/gender angle will find very little play here, at least I hope so.

Linda-T…The Chinese greenhouse you mentioned was actually conceived in New Mexico in 1979 and Texas in 1980. I was one of 5 consultants on a state funded project called “Texas Solar 80”. We designed and built “passive” greenhouses that have low to no energy input. Since then I have built 4 new iterations. The greenhouses have solid north walls and sloped glazed South walls to collect sunlight. Mine has clear story windows to allow heat to form a thermal chimney effect because overheating is a problem here. I put a glass garage door on my North wall so that I could open it up during the summer and join the greenhouse environment with a shaded area behind. There are CMU walls on the north and part of the west and there is outsulation (4” of foam on the exterior of the block which is then covered with synthetic stucco).This allows the block to be interior mass and help moderate the temperature swings. Now these are spotted all over the Chinese country side. I can’t imagine that China would steal our idea and not give us credit.
Glad to help with design ideas if anyone is trying to get a greenhouse going.

Obviously I fail to understand why there’s been such a visceral, negative reaction to Granny’s posts in general and her most recent request more specifically. Yes, she might chose her words more carefully as she sometimes uses “trigger” words (e.g., “pandering”) or phrases (“I know what you’re thinking.”) which invite pushback and, unfortunately detracts from her core message.
What I don’t understand is why others can’t “take the best and leave the rest” (as she’s been advised to do) and respond constructively to Granny’s core message, rather than focusing on assumptions about her “playing the victim”, resentments, being jealous of others’ wealth, being poor, etc. Honestly, she seems to be held to a different standard than other PP members, with little tolerance for her alternative, dissenting opinion on some key issues.
Granny has endured many very pointed remarks and criticisms from some very articulate PP members–IMO more and over a longer period of time than any other current/former PP member that I’m aware of. IMO, she’s persevered throughout all and taken some pretty direct, hard hits. I would be defensive too under such circumstances and would not have persevered as well or for so long. She’s already proved that she has “thick skin”. I don’t think she needs to prove this any further. Apparently she has decided her time and energy are better spent elsewhere.
For the record, I’m not promoting some “race/gender angle” or play in my post contrasting the disparate responses Granny received for her request vs those received for OOG’s request.
And yes, it is true that one can never really be certain as to the demographics and other particulars postured by those within an on-line community. But such information is often shared by members and generally accepted at face value. For example, I believe Mountainhousepermi is female and living in Northern California per information she’s shared on this site; and that SandPuppy is male and is an emergency room physician. Others may/may not incorporate their personal biases based on that information and perceptions.
The PP/Azurite survey results suggested a predominant profile that, if representative of the PP user/membership, suggests a majority of the PP tribe is (sigh, to repeat this one more time) American, white, middle aged/older, and of moderate-upper income. If true, then it is logical that the PP content and comments generally reflect this majority demographic. It might be beneficial to hear from other voices, other perspectives that just may resonate better with others that don’t fit that profile.
Granny’s been encouraged to start a PP Forum on topics of interest. As noted previously, these posts receive low traffic, get displaced and buried in the Forum’s chronological order, and are not organized or searchable via the PP current functions. Information could be shared, updated and expanded upon in the PP Wikis, but there is no apparent mechanism or process to do so. She could write-up content and send to Adam who may/may not post it. Or she can go elsewhere to find the content she is seeking, or start her own blog/newsletter.
DaveF said, “How can you expect rich white men to understand the situation you see so clearly? Doesn’t that just sound crazy on its face? Yes, it does. Just as crazy as a white person trying to understand what a black person sees, etc. etc.”
I believe Granny’s been trying to raise awareness of and facilitate discussions concerning a minority perspective for quite some time on the PP site. IMO it has been discouraged, sometimes ridiculed, and generally poorly received by a vocal contingent of PP members. How many others with alternative, dissenting views or that differ from the PP majority profile will be discouraged from participating in and/or joining PP?
The PP team can and will likely drive many more visitors to the site and increase their membership among their target audience. But many will come and go, finding that it is not a good “fit”. This approach may pay the PP bills, but may not build a “world worth inheriting” where diversity and alternative PoV are valued.
Again, our loss.

I wish now I had not commented at all… but I did so in support of AK Granny. Now I see the need to be even more clear about what I meant when I invoked the idea of getting caught up in a victim mentality. My comment had nothing to do with income demographics or any other aspect of her historical posts here… it was very specific to her response to Adam suggesting that she was hurt by what she perceived as a public shaming. Sticks and stones… you know?
The best thing anyone can do for themselves is to find a way to rationalize and internalize not giving a shit what anyone else thinks of them. It’s not easy, I know, but at the end of the day it’s a superpower of sorts.

One commenter accused Granny of "animus". This is an interesting choice of words, given that one definition of animus includes "...the masculine principle as present in women." So Granny is admonished to change her "tone". Interesting.
Interesting perhaps, but not true to my comments. I actually looked up "amimosity" in the three dictionaries I have here on my desk, as I hadn't actually used the word in ages, and didn't want it to inaccurately portray my thoughts. I failed to consult the Dictionary of Jungian psychology.....Jeez, my bad.....As I see Granny's still here reading and giving thumbs up, I will say that I'm truly looking forward to her fact-based and actual insights into "the other half", if there really is one, given that we're all in this sh!tshow together, just playing different roles, with different entrances and exits. Appreciate your posts as well, Sparky1. Aloha, Steve.

Sparky-
From where I sit, Granny hasn’t been trying to provide a viewpoint and been dissed for it, she has been trying to prod Adam and Chris into generating content for that viewpoint. That’s not the same thing at all.
Do you feel I have been unsupportive of Granny generating content? I thought I was enthusiastically supportive. Of her generating content, that is. How many times have I said I would read it if she started doing it?
Definitely, I have NOT been supportive of her prodding and complaining to Chris and Adam to alter their site content to satisfy her. “There is just not enough free content I like.”
I do think you are 100% correct about forums getting buried due to the current site architecture. Somehow, they should be either pinnable on a per-user basis (so I can mark forums I want to track - climate change, 9/11, Granny, vaccines, maybe even gold/silver) and/or sorted by number of reader comments, as well as seeing the new forums that appear every day. Useful forums just get lost. This is bad, and it should be fixed.
If the site structure was fixed (and…someone has to pay for the site engineers to write all that code…just saying…engineers aren’t cheap. How much are they hourly, Adam? $50? $75?) then Granny could write her column and everyone who liked it could pin it to the top of their forum list.
And - there would be no need to constantly prod Adam and Chris to generate said (free) content, because Granny would be doing it herself.
So, really, this whole conversation boils down to a feature request for Adam. Which I totally support. The feature request, I mean.
So if site gets fixed, are we all good?

Oliveoilguy,
My re-post for Sparky1 did include a link for Walipini greenhouses, which was one of many links that Duckduckgo came up with during my searches for info on fruit trenching and fruit walls. For over 10 years I have been curious and wondering what did we do before greenhouses? They are a relatively new “technology”, we probably just moved around being hunter gatherers and never knew about foods from other climates until global trade got started a few thousand years ago. Out of curiousity, I just found this:
“HISTORY OF TRADE”
http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ab72
Recently www.resilience.org had posted the article about fruit trenching and fruit walls which had been originally posted by Low-Tech Magazine, which I was thrilled to read, and got me looking for more info as I previously mentioned. I found it interesting that during my search from outside of PP, I was provided a link for Walipini greenhouses on this site, but I wouldn’t have been able to find it during an internal search within PP. So, I concur some kind of search function would be wonderful, because as info and comments are posted chronologically, they get lost quickly. Unless I’m sitting here 24X7 which I won’t be able to do once I get recalled back to full-time work, I could very easily miss something very important to me. Even though I’m currently not working, I’m still busy spending time at my garden, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. and I still miss stuff…
The current dialogue regarding Granny and dicey, uncomfortable topics; having more accessible info about homesteading, gardening, permaculture, the economic and emotional devastation, and other important issues of the day, on top of important issues that were pressing before the virus came onto the scene, pollinator losses & colony collapse disorder being one… All important, and it reminds me of an important conversation that occurred online approx nine years ago. I don’t remember whoo was the person that sparked it off, but I remember Rob Hopkins, John Michael Greer, and I think Carolyn Baker and Sharon Astyk chimed in on it too. (I remembered the timeframe because I was either moving to Portland or had recently arrived, and I thought it was such an invaluable topic, I had printed most of it.) Basically, in the rush to achieve “consensus” in communities and ecovillages, an important aspect was being railroaded and discouraged. That of “dissensus”, JMG made the point that not the kind of dissensus of something acting out and trying to defeat something out of spite, but that a person that isn’t in agreement and is the voice of dissensus might be seeing a current problem/issue or one that could very well occur, and is trying to alert the fellow community or group members. Kind of like the “don’t kill the messenger” dynamic.
Linda