Occupy Wall Street: What’s Really Going On

On Friday, October 7th, a beautiful blue-sky and warm-ish October day, I went to Zuccotti Park in NYC with Livio Sanchez (film editor) and Debby Brand (camera operator) to see firsthand what Occupy Wall Street was all about and record what we could.

What we found were people united by a sense that our national narrative is off course and that resentment over the patent unfairness of our current system is building. Perhaps the most common expression we found was that people, to varying degrees, thought that there was something systemically wrong.

Because of this widespread view of ‘everything being wrong,’ there was, naturally, no single message or thing around which everyone had gathered. Instead, the view was simply that the system being discussed -- political, capitalist, economic, or monetary -- was broken.

When you hold such a view, there’s really no ‘ask’ that makes sense. If the political system is irretrievably in the clutches of special interests, then voting new members into that system is perceived to be a waste of effort.

The short video below (less than four minutes) captures well what we observed:

The ‘protest’ is as much about participation and discussion as about airing grievances. People are talking. They are debating. They are doing exactly what you learn about in grade school when they teach you about how our political system has worked in the past and is supposed to work today. The difference, of course, is that no real debate, discussion, nor real participation is happening in Congress or the Senate.

The first stage of any movement begins with energy and passion, as pent up emotions find their first outlet. On this basis, the movement is in fine shape. To expect well-shaped messages at this moment is asking a bit much. Those will happen in time.

I thought this editorial in the NYTimes was pretty close to spot on:

Protesters Against Wall Street

As the Occupy Wall Street protests spread from Lower Manhattan to Washington and other cities, the chattering classes keep complaining that the marchers lack a clear message and specific policy prescriptions.

The message — and the solutions — should be obvious to anyone who has been paying attention since the economy went into a recession that continues to sock the middle class while the rich have recovered and prospered. The problem is that no one in Washington has been listening.

The protests, though, are more than a youth uprising. The protesters’ own problems are only one illustration of the ways in which the economy is not working for most Americans. They are exactly right when they say that the financial sector, with regulators and elected officials in collusion, inflated and profited from a credit bubble that burst, costing millions of Americans their jobs, incomes, savings and home equity. As the bad times have endured, Americans have also lost their belief in redress and recovery.

The initial outrage has been compounded by bailouts and by elected officials’ hunger for campaign cash from Wall Street, a toxic combination that has reaffirmed the economic and political power of banks and bankers, while ordinary Americans suffer.

Extreme inequality is the hallmark of a dysfunctional economy, dominated by a financial sector that is driven as much by speculation, gouging and government backing as by productive investment.

(Source)

There’s much that I agree with in that editorial. The main problems that led to the protests are quite obvious: a pronounced inequality in the distribution of economic gains and an even worse gap between the legal treatment of the well-connected and everyone else. Of course, ‘well-connected’ is merely a euphemism for ‘has enough money to stoke the self-interests of legislators and regulators'.

Who can doubt that Martha Stewart received very different treatment from Bernie Madoff? Or Lehman Bros. and their Repo 105 scandal, for that matter.

Of great interest to me is the even larger gulf between how most US media outlets began coverage of the protests (and continue to this day) and what we see in the foreign press.

According to Fox News, the angle worth covering is how the protests might hurt – wait for it – tourism!

Protesters Accused of Hurting NYC Economy

Oct 7, 2011

NEW YORK -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday accused the Wall Street demonstrators of trying to cripple New York City's economy.

"What they're trying to do is take the jobs away from people working in this city," the mayor declared in his harshest criticism of the three-week-old protest that has caught the attention of the nation.

"They're trying to take away the tax base we have because none of this is good for tourism."

(Source)

These comments from Bloomberg have caused me to lose respect for him, both as a person and as a polished politician. His very poorly-thought-out complaints were not worthy of being the center of an article about the movement.

Contrast the above with RT offering a foreign view:

Occupy Wall Street: major protest against minority rule

Oct 9, 2011

“This seems pretty revolutionary to me. The spirit of revolution is here and so I need to be a part of it,” says campaigner Talib Kweli.

Labor unions, transport workers, teachers, nurses and US veterans standing shoulder-to-shoulder with young activists, spearheading a fight against US wealth inequality and corporate greed.

“Young people right now have no hope in our society. I just want to see a fair and more just society for the young people coming up, and all Americans that are suffering through these hard economic times,” a US army veteran told RT during the protests.

The “Occupy” movement has gained such momentum even the president, who promised change, has been forced to address the issue.

"I think people are frustrated, and the protesters are giving voice to a more broad-based frustration about how our financial system works,” Barack Obama told a press conference. “The American people understand that not everybody has been following the rules; that Wall Street is an example of that.”

While the US has encouraged and supported democratic uprisings in the Arab world, the same events playing out at home have been met with batons, pepper spray and the mass arrest of nearly 800 peaceful protesters on the Brooklyn Bridge. A scene that reminded some of Egypt’s Tahrir Square.

(Source)

That’s a much more balanced summary than what Fox dished up...and it comes from the Russian press. The comparison puts US press in a rather bad light. Well, maybe not all that bad, as long as you don’t mind the rank hypocrisy of Fox News of wholeheartedly supporting the Egyptian people's exercise of democratic rights while casting those exercising their same rights in the US in a bad light.

I had a great time meeting people and finding out what the Occupy Wall Street movement is all about. My findings are that the energy is good and the movement is right about where it should be at this stage. I am very much in support of average Americans finally joining the world in making their voices heard.

Many of you have started an intelligent discussion in our forums of the OWS movement, what it represents, and what positive change might result from it. We encourage all interested minds to join the discussion.

I expect to go back and rejoin the movement as soon as I return from my California trip. Perhaps I’ll see you there.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/occupy-wall-street-whats-really-going-on-2/

Thank you Chris.

Really?  While the Fox take was awful, so was the RT.  RT was slanted toward the "corporate greed" and didn’t even hint that perhaps the government policies might be involved in a lot of this mess.

Then we have this quote in the RT article from George Soros:

This is from one of the most greedy corporate individuals around whose wealth has come from the actions that many of the OWS are now protesting.  I guess it shows if you toss some crumbs to many progressive organizations you can buy forgiveness.

At any rate, Soro’s presents a false choice: How about we should not have injected capital or relieved their debts, they should have FAILED!  

Democracy is mob rule.  Now if we decide to return to our Republic roots, perhaps we have a chance… If we continue down the "democracy" route we will surely get the bailouts for the people at the expense of others and no resolution to the underlying issues. This whole 99% vs. 1% argument is quite destructive.  I’ll stand up for the 1% because if we decide mob rules is the way of the future, who will stand up for the 1% when it’s based on a trait other than wealth?

I like that they’re still discussing what they think is wrong and trying to come to some kind of consensus.
Don’t be surprised if more people are for a better safety net, or more protectionism. The pendulum has swung pretty hard one way.

Government AND corporations together, the whole system, is the problem - that’s why there are so many who fervently say it’s government, and so many who fervently say it’s corporations, and they’re both right.
Some want to blame the people instead, for allowing this?  Well the people are starting to want to do something about it, and it won’t necessarily be what you or I want them to do. The pendulum may very well swing in a direction no one - not even "the people" - want.

Events and trends aren’t always logical. It’s like lots of people with their hands on a Ouija board. Even the people in Egypt aren’t quite happy after their Arab Spring brought down Mubarak.

I applaud Dr. Martenson’s efforts. I hope his "Crash Course" ideas - and community-building, resiliency-and-preparedness ideas about creating a future worth inheriting for EVERYONE - really get a good, strong reception in the OccupyWallStreet movement. This may be the kind of paradigm shift that we need, to get the ideas of the "Crash Course" into the mainstream.

We all know something is rotten in the state of the world, to paraphrase Hamlet. Now is not the time to be Ophelia.

Poet

I have been watching “Russian Today” in order to get a balanced perspective on the news. To be honest there is very little coverage on the BBC relating to the occupation of Wall Street. As far as I am concerned this is a very important movement that deserves to have recognised publicity. Yes, it may be unfocused at the moment, but I have no doubt in time an organised approach will be adopted. As I get older I am less likely to be brainwashed by the state, I have become wise to the tricks that they play. The propaganda that that is produced, thank goodness for the internet, it’s not perfect and yes there are people who don’t have the correct handle on what is going on, such as some you tube bloggers, but in the main it is educational, and gives people the opportunity to see things from a different perspective. Think about this, if you lived on an island and had no external contact with other countries, you will be more likely to follow the belief systems of that country. Only when we have the opportunity to compare and contrast other belief systems can you make independent critical assessments and question a set of beliefs.

Unfortunately in the main the population have been dumbed down in the UK and US, but there are a few people trying to wake up the rest. The Wall Street protesters are one such group, they understand that Politicians, Wall Street and the Federal Reserve Bank work hand in hand, they have a handle on how money is borrowed into existence with interest that benefits disproportionately the banking elite, they understand the scam of derivatives, and they know that many bankers should be jailed for their corrupt practices that effectively rob the average person.

There is now a movement in the UK, similiar to the Wall Street Occupation, that is gaining momentum, I wonder how long it will be before the mainstream media gives it the publicity it deserves? We are truly living in scary times, this is no ordinary business cycle, we are crippled with too much debt following the introduction of derivatives. The generation that has lived in an economic bubble need to step outside their normalcy bias otherwise they won’t cope with what is coming, that’s why they need to be educated.

[quote=Poet]I like that they’re still discussing what they think is wrong and trying to come to some kind of consensus.
Don’t be surprised if more people are for a better safety net, or more protectionism. The pendulum has swung pretty hard one way.
Government AND corporations together, the whole system, is the problem - that’s why there are so many who fervently say it’s government, and so many who fervently say it’s corporations, and they’re both right.
Some want to blame the people instead, for allowing this?  Well the people are starting to want to do something about it, and it won’t necessarily be what you or I want them to do. The pendulum may very well swing in a direction no one - not even "the people" - want.
Events and trends aren’t always logical. It’s like lots of people with their hands on a Ouija board. Even the people in Egypt aren’t quite happy after their Arab Spring brought down Mubarak.
I applaud Dr. Martenson’s efforts. I hope his "Crash Course" ideas - and community-building, resiliency-and-preparedness ideas about creating a future worth inheriting for EVERYONE - really get a good, strong reception in the OccupyWallStreet movement. This may be the kind of paradigm shift that we need, to get the ideas of the "Crash Course" into the mainstream.
We all know something is rotten in the state of the world, to paraphrase Hamlet. Now is not the time to be Ophelia.
Poet[/quote]
I can understand your disagreement with Soros and your point about democracy. I would not expect either Fox or RT to cover all the points or to have all of them right for that matter but for a contrast between "tourism" and the more substantive content in RT, Chris is right they did portray the more balanced view.

I don’t know which is more damaging?  One paints the groups as kooks that are disrupting tourism and the other added more to the us versus them rhetoric.  It’s the us versus them I find problematic.  We need the same rules applied to everyone.  We have had a government that is allowing the large corporations to play by different rules.  Obama’s comment in the RT article about "playing by the rules" was massively hypocritical - coming from someone who has decided to legislate through regulation and decided it’s okay to murder as long as your the president.

We really need to stop the "us versus them" narative.  It’s divisive and doesn’t help bring everyone together to solve our current predicament.  It’s why we need to take back control and bring it to the local community level.  It is very hard to effect change in a large centralized bureaucracy, but smaller groups can certainly bring about change at the local level.  In order to bring about "self-resiliency" you have to have the ability to make decisions (right or wrong) about how to live.  Unfortunately we have seen more of that decision making abilty being taken away from us in all aspects of our lives (energy, healthcare, food, …)

I agree it’s a very dangerous time.  There is lot’s of blame to go around, including "the people".  We have been lulled by an easy life into giving up our rights and our responsibilities.  We all have had a part to play.  We all have some of the blame.

FrobnI think you may have quoted the wrong person. I have not said anything about George Soros, as you may see from your quote of my words.
Poet

[quote=frobn]

Rhare wrote.

This is from one of the most greedy corporate individuals around whose wealth has come from the actions that many of the OWS are now protesting.  I guess it shows if you toss some crumbs to many progressive organizations you can buy forgiveness.  
I see it differently. Chapter 1 "How to win Friends and influence People." There are no bad guys. Soros just does not get it. He is the bad guy.

From what I’ve seen on the net, the news and in person in Occupy Philly, I like the undercurrent of community spirit ("we’re all in this together") and even some humility (which is one of the good reasons for not coming with a set of predetermined truths and actions).  I would hope for a lot more humility because as Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."  I hope more and more people (from the 99% AND the 1%) are moved by OWS to do some soul searching and brutally honest confessing.  We have all played our parts in getting where we are, and recovery starts with accepting our personal responsibility whether that be simply not paying attention and being selfish, or whether it includes committing massive fraud. 
I continue to be very concerned that the movement is ripe for being co-opted and moved in negative or non-productive directions, especially by TPTB working behind the scenes and through proxies.  Even without being manipulated by TPTB, the Republicans and Democrats, or any other status quo power base, the movement seems vulnerable to eventually running off the rails by their own simple emotion.  In fact, if a takeover or self-destruct do NOT happen before a clear agenda of some kind is developed, it will have to be the first time in history. I think of the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution which might have looked a lot like this in the first early days. I think this part of what Poet is saying and I agree.

If I were part of the movement (and I’m not) I would advocate for making "Prosecute the Fraud" as the first or one of the first demands.  We’ve all made mistakes (of commission and omission) but only some of us have committed actual crimes. Let’s start there by prosecuting the frauds that are currently illegal (starting with the biggest frauds and working our way down the food chains).  The system has to be either reformed (which begins with prosecution) or it has to be replaced. Demanding prosecutions would be a good way to help us decide if reform is possible, or if replacement will be required. Secondly, prosecution is one of the few steps that could be taken without educating and moving millions of people.  All it would take is one courageous public servant here (an order by the President) or there (the NY Attorney General, the US AG, the FBI Director, the SEC Chairman).  This would be a clear litmus test as to who we should vote for or against. Third, prosecutions would have a huge deterrent effect on those who thrive on ripping us and the system off.  This is something we could build on. Besides, who could be against "Prosecute the Fraud"?  I know, I know.  Bush and Obama, Greenspan and Bernanke, Geithner and Paulson, and Holder: they’re all opposed to prosecuting the fraud. But that makes them obvious targets for replacement, doesn’t it.  Who in America CAN’T understand "Prosecute the Fraud?"  Who in America, the Tea Party, the left or the right, the students and the retired, or the OWS movement wouldn’t be heartened and energized by seeing a huge wave of prosecutions begin?  Think of how many aspiring future national leaders would see this as their ticket to higher office and jump into it with both feet?

Wall Street historian and Columbia University professor Steve Fraser reminds us that this is not our first rodeo, Wall Street has been similarly charged before, and as typical, the publics’ response indicates the cusp of a larger sea change.
LA Times

A Century of Our Streets and Wall Street

One young woman at the demonstration held up a corrugated cardboard sign roughly magic-markered with one word written three times: “system,” “system,” “system.”  That single word resonates historically, even if it sounds strange to our ears today.  The indictment of presumptive elites, especially those housed on Wall Street, the conviction that the system over which they presided must be replaced by something more humane, was a robust feature of our country’s political and cultural life for a long century or more.

When in the years following the American Revolution, Jeffersonian democrats raised alarms about the “moneycrats” and their counterrevolutionary intrigues – they meant Alexander Hamilton and his confederates in particular – they were worried about the installation in the New World of a British system of merchant capitalism that would undo the democratic and egalitarian promise of the Revolution. 

When followers of Andrew Jackson inveighed against the Second Bank of the United States – otherwise known as “the Monster Bank” – they were up in arms against what they feared was the systematic monopolizing of financial resources by a politically privileged elite.  Just after the Civil War, the Farmer-Labor and Greenback political parties freed themselves of the two-party runaround, determined to mobilize independently to break the stranglehold on credit exercised by the big banks back East.

Later in the nineteenth century, Populists decried the overweening power of the Wall Street “devil fish” (shades of Matt Taibbi’s “giant vampire squid” metaphor for Goldman Sachs). Its tentacles, they insisted, not only reached into every part of the economy, but also corrupted churches, the press, and institutions of higher learning, destroyed the family, and suborned public officials from the president on down.  When, during his campaign for the presidency in 1896, the Populist-inspired “boy orator of the Platte” and Democratic Party candidate William Jennings Bryan vowed that mankind would not be “crucified on a cross of gold,” he meant Wall Street and everyone knew it. 

Around the turn of the century, the anti-trust movement captured the imagination of small businessmen, consumers, and working people in towns and cities across America.  The trust they worried most about was “the Money Trust.”  Captained by J.P. Morgan, “the financial Gorgon,” the Money Trust was skewered in court and in print by future Supreme Court justice Louis Brandeis, subjected to withering Congressional investigations, excoriated in the exposés of “muckraking” journalists, and depicted by cartoonists as a cabal of prehensile Visigoths in death-heads.

As the twentieth century began, progressive reformers in state houses and city halls, socialists in industrial cities and out on the prairies, strikebound workers from coast to coast, working-class feminists, antiwar activists, and numerous others were still vigorously condemning that same Money Trust for turning the whole country into a closely-held system of financial pillage, labor exploitation, and imperial adventuring abroad.  As the movements made clear, everyone but Wall Street was suffering the consequences of a system of proliferating abuses perpetrated by “the Street.”

The tradition the Occupy Wall Street demonstrators have tapped into is a long and vibrant one that culminated during the Great Depression.  Then as now, there was no question in the minds of "the 99%” that Wall Street was principally to blame for the country’s crisis (however much that verdict has since been challenged by disputatious academics).

Insurgencies by industrial workers, powerful third-party threats to replace capitalism with something else, rallies and marches of the unemployed, and, yes, occupations, even seizures of private property, foreclosures forestalled by infuriated neighbors, and a pervasive sense that the old order needed burying had their lasting effect. In response, the New Deal attempted to unhorse those President Franklin Roosevelt termed “economic royalists,” who were growing rich off “other people’s money” while the country suffered its worst trauma since the Civil War. 

“The Street” trembled.

Dear Dr. Martenson –
I wish you hadn’t gone there…both figuratively and literally.  I wish you hadn’t gone political on us by doing your investigative piece on OWS.  I was hoping you could avoid being distracted by the political maneuverings of various power centers and stay focused on helping your followers prepare for what lies ahead.  But as soon as you announced your plan to "see firsthand" what was "really going on" I knew where this would lead.  I wish you hadn’t gone there because you have now confirmed that you have an agenda beyond the teachings of the Crash Course.

Your commentary on the OWS along with your choice of interviewees and photo ops is so myopic and biased that it’s totally out of character for an impartial scientist.  And your dismissive remark about the ideal of rugged individualism being a lie is clearly at odds with what you have been preaching about the need for self-reliance in times of crisis.  The entire thing looked contrived.

In one of my earliest posts I defended you against a critic as being someone whose thoughts, words and actions were in alignment…a person of integrity.  Now, I am asking you to demonstrate that my assessment was accurate. Since you have decided to inject yourself into the politics of the crisis we are all facing, I am asking you to fully disclose your political views and any political agendas you may support.  As a person of integrity, you owe it to your subscribers to tell us what you stand for. 

People who have read my other posts know I am not a fan of Wall Street or Washington.  I am not defending them.  I just wish you hadn’t climbed on the "we’re all victims" bandwagon.  I liked it much better when you were focused on doing what you do best…helping people become more resilient.

Outcast 19

This video is so cool! I can’t wait to share it with others. Thanks, Chris!

As I mentioned in Chris’ first announcement that he was going to the OWS protest, I think many (not all) of the people there are asking good questions, even if they don’t have answers or a clear direction. I was in NYC two weeks ago with my youngest son on a father-son vacation. We visited the OWS protest twice during our visit, and I spoke with some of the participants. Politically, they were across the spectrum, from anarchists to libertarians to liberals. (And, admittedly, there seemed to quite a few who were just there for the show.) Those who are in Zuccotti Park with a purpose are potential fertile ground for CMs message; they are looking for answers, and CM.com is a good place to start.

Dear Outcast 19,I was just as curious as Dr. Martenson to see for myself what was really going on at Zuccotti Park.  We spent the day talking to people from all over the country.  I can assure you that CM has/had no political agenda (I have outtakes to prove it) other than to engage in discussion and offer his unique insight.  I attempted to capture and encapsulate the various people and conversations we experienced in as short a time as possible.  It was nothing more than a fact finding mission which we wanted to share with others here.  
Cheers,
Livio

As Darbikrash pointed out so well in post 10, this current conflict with the moneyed interests is as old as the USA, and it was still taught in high school history when I was young. It seems so strange to our experience because we have lived in an abnormal time. At the end of World War II the USA produced 50% of gross world product. We had just survived a depression that had scared everyone, and emerged as the world’s super power.

As productivity rose the gains were shared proportionately with workers. Class conflict was masked by the rising tide that raised all boats. The US middle class was the largest and most prosperous the world had ever seen. We expected this to continue indefinitely. That all changed during the stagflation of the 1970s. This graphic from the New York Times was recently posted in the Daily Digest. It is a key to understanding our present situation. Please look at it closely. https://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/09/04/opinion/04reich-graphic.html

Average hourly compensation has been essentially flat since 1979; the second oil shock. Other sources show that median household income has been flat since 1973, the first oil shock. That’s true even though most wives went to work. People borrowed to sustain consumption, but have reached their limit. Most of the 80% gain in productivity (wealth) over the last 30 years went to the very rich. The middle class has been sucked dry.

When anyone exposes this situation they are loudly accused of “trying to start class warfare”. What a laugh! The rich have been warring on the rest of us for 40 years. They won. Now they have captured the government and are using it as a shield. The battle has begun to expose what they accomplished, and prosecute their criminal acts.

I favor capitalism and free markets. But they have been corrupted by extreme concentrations of wealth and power.

Travlin 

I couldn’t agree more.
The first step, as thc0655 says is to re-establish the rule of law and prosecute the crimes, both fraud and all the other crimes as well, swiftly, decisively, and severely.  They should fall under RICO statutes since if what occurred isn’t "organized crime", I don’t know what is.  This action will allow the courts to award triple damages.  Given the magnitude of the crimes, the damages recovered would be enormous.  That money could be used for funding jobs programs which leads to the next step.  If GS and JPMC fold, oh well!  This country and the world will be a better place.
The second step is job creation. American desperately needs jobs and not jobs in the military, government, or financial sectors or the low paying retail service sector but decent paying jobs in productive sectors that will allow for 1 person to support a household and will benefit the long term health and wealth of this country and especially, give young people hope for a promising future.  We need a Manhattan Project of innovative minds focusing on jump starting this step with unprecedented speed, intensity, and vigor.  
The third step would be ending the Federal Reserve’s control over our monetary system and establishing a sovereign monetary system.  The FR is the biggest crime ever perpetrated upon this nation and has bled this nation dry and it needs to be ended, the sooner the better.
Those are some areas for OWS demands to focus on, for a start.

[quote=Outcast 19]

Dear Dr. Martenson –

I wish you hadn’t gone there…both figuratively and literally.  I wish you hadn’t gone political on us by doing your investigative piece on OWS.[/quote]

Outcast

Chris has always been scrupulously non-partisan. But any serious analysis of economics shows that it is inevitably linked with the political realm. Chris has soundly criticized politicians in general, their policies, and their handmaidens like the Federal Reserve. When a significant number of citizens start getting attention for bringing to light some of the same problems Chris had been teaching about for years – well, that is important, and can’t be ignored. The struggle to regain control of our economy and our country is ultimately political, even if you do not favor any party, or hate them all.

Travlin 

For the record, I am a hard core conservative, but that doesn’t matter because I am seeing the truth (for the first time) and there is plenty of blame to go around.The Left Right argument as its framed today by MSNBC vs. Fox isn’t complete.  OWS and the Tea Party are flip sides of the same coin.  Pissed off people with legitimate and accurate complaints:
Our "free market economy" is desperately corrupted and broken.  We have obviously slanted the playing field toward the rich at the expense of the poor.  The American economy is today is NOT a free market.  Examples abound.

Our Republic has become an Empire.  We are waging war for economic dominance of the planet.  This was not part of the original plan for America.  Whether its just misplaced do-gooderism, imperialism, or whatever, we weren’t designed to garrison the freakin planet and try to force people to act like Jeffersonian democrats.

The left in the country has succeeded in pandering to the lower class and has created an entitlement culture that has bankrupted the country and destroyed the culture.  We are socialists, and there is no hope for a new future here.

The Right has substituted neocon colonialism and crony capitalism for free markets and republican government.  Unabashed greed and consumption have replaced vocation and ethics.  The power elites make a mockery of the law and our system.  Nothing is as it seems.

The Left has sold out to race baiting, pandering, and voter fraud in a desperate attempt to maintain power.  It has embraced every form of debasement and called it progress.  Public sector unions have destroyed the public finances of our municipal governments.  Greed, screaming in the street, and union money funneled to socialists-keep the big retirement checks flowing.  Me fucking first!

Corporations buy power inside the system we have allowed to develop as we watch American Idol.  No one gives a sh!t.  Our big corporations privatize gains and socialize losses.  The Fed taxes us all to keep it going.  

The Federal, State, and Local Leviathan (government) now dominates our lives and our economy.  We are all rent seekers now.  Our economy consists of us doing our own laundry, and regulating the heck out of everything.

Our own lack of work ethic, laziness, stupidity, and union mentality has destroyed the productivity of the American Workforce.  The bottom line dominated-dollars above all else outsourcing trend of corporate America is an exercise in greed that puts money above all other considerations.  Now our jobs are in China, and we can’t fill opening in the USA because damn few folks here can really put in a day’s hard work.  Who wants to mow lawns everyday?  

Our society has actively sought to expel God from the public space.  1/2 think its better that way, 1/2 think it sucks.  Nobody’s happy.  We eat Cheetos and watch porn.  God leaves us alone.

Politicians on both sides are completely clueless as to the real problems we face, their causes, and their solutions.  Reelection is all that matters.  Don’t offend anyone, lest you lose your lifetime benefit plan.  We chose candidates who are good looking.  Thinkers are laughed off the stage.  Palin!  What a moron!  Obama!  WTF were we thinking?  Qualifications don’t matter anymore.

There are many things to be frustrated about from the Left and the Right.  The situation is beyond repair.  Only a total collapse will purge the sickness from the institutions of the USA.  

The OWS protests have no unifying theme, because there are so many things wrong, its hard to put your finger on it, or sum it up in a 10 second sound bite.  Think of the OWS as the mirror image of the Tea Party.  Large groups of people who see legitimate and real problems.  Its not that the problems are false, or a complete listing; there are just LOTS of things wrong.  We are totally f*cked.  People on the Right see it, people on the left see it.  Both can be true at the same time. 

Rector

I still hold on to the hope that if enough of us are willing to take on the task of cleaning the corruption in Washington, then the Republic can be restored.  No doubt it will be a long and arduous task.  If there aren’t enough willing to work for that goal, then we (and even worse, our children),  are indeed f**ked. 
Outcast 19