Why Covid-19 Demands Our Full Attention

Oh well that’s just terrific. I happen to live in the interior of BC. It sure would be bloody handy to know where exactly she went!
I will take it as good news that she wore a mask on the flight. But how realistic is that really? Flights from China to Vancouver must be very very long. She must have eaten and had a drink of water at least once. It can’t be comfortable to wear a mask that long. It would become very wet, for one thing.

The one notable financial feature of this epidemic is that it makes people fearful of touching paper money. So I doubt the outcome will be a return to an older physical money like gold and silver coins. What will follow instead is a comprehensive digital currency regime. People will demand it given the level of fear we are seeing in China already. The shift to a fully digitized payment system is just around the corner anyway. It’s already been in development and discussed for some time already and I suspect it could be ready for swift deployment if the authorities put their minds too it. Mr Xi will not likely miss this opportunity since it is the ultimate population control mechanism.

While i commend your approach to living healthy - you do not seem to understand why people die from NOVEL new virus like this one.
The issue here that matters is the bodies response to a virus that has not been seen before. The IMMUNE RESPONSE ITSELF is what kills people. The response kills healthy tissue as well as the invading virus. This over active response ‘cytokine storm’ is in fact the trigger for death. A cytokine response - varies in individuals. Those that mount an over the top response biologically eventually succumb. Plenty of evidence in peer reviewed literature that supports this.
You might want to dig a little deeper.
https://www.sinobiological.com/cytokine-storm-cytokine-storms-a-5800.html

Haven’t bought one yet but I’m leaning towards these two:
https://www.amazon.com/Sterilizer-Sanitiser-Hospital-Strength-Sterilizes/dp/B07W7HSDPZ/
This is a larger capacity model that I could do masks, tools, EDC components, stuff that I bring in.
https://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-Sterilizer-Machine-Ultraviolet-Professional/dp/B07WWLD1JF/
This is a smaller capacity model that would handle cell phones and keys.
Both get high ratings. I’ll be buying both this weekend, hopefully I’ll get in before they go out of stock.
Unfortunately I have to stock food and equip two locations, my home and my sisters at the start of this thing. She’s not quite convinced to go all in on preparing, so I’m acquiring supplies and food, that I can shift over there in the event this worsens.
For those that haven’t been in the discussion on this, ultra violet light can kill virus and germs. You would set this up at your entrance then when you come home, put the hard items you carried with you outside, like cell phone, keys, pens, or glasses into this and sterilize them before using them in your home.
Shoes would be taken off and set into a shallow tub of bleach and water to disinfect the soles.

Dr Seheult on Medcram has been going over the proven medical benefits of good sleep habits and how they can help your immune system. Good videos that compliment what Chris here is posting.
This one first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbM6VVkVZM&t=1s
Then this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4pBkslqS4

My view from 30 thousand feet is that 80% of the general population will not be affected by Covid-19. Individuals of compromised health and over 60 will bear the brunt of this virus. The average poster on peak prosperity is a white male in his 60’s. The average member on this website is at greater risk than the general population. The thought of losing long time members - folks I really like and respect - is hard to deal with. Really don’t want to think about it.
The past week an elderly couple at church were no shows. I was talking with my pastor and he said they were on one of the cruise ships that was quarantined. Both individuals have been moved to a Japanese hospital. Status - the male has tested positive for Covid-19 and is probably not going to make it. His children are still in the states and can’t say their good-byes in person. My biggest concern is for the kids <5 years old (like my grandson). My prayer life has been moved up a couple of notches.

She drove to the interior so potentially infected gas station, restaurant, or rest stop personnel & other customers, used washrooms and so on. So even if she is not in your community she may have infected someone along the way who is, and that someone is totally oblivious as they go about their life. It well illustrates why containment is not possible.
The authorities are doing their utmost to minimize panic by not giving much detail but in doing so fomenting distrust. All a person can do is pay attention and prepare according to perceived risk. I think it is prudent to assume it will at some point arrive in your community. If you know that and use that info to plan your strategies you are, at this stage, miles ahead of most everyone else. Information is power but only if you use it to your benefit. Be well and good luck!
Jan

So sorry to hear that Nate! You have highlighted unforseen consequences… so many eventualities to ponder with this thing! Geez…
Stay well,
Jan

I guess the last coupe of decades of MSM lockstep has prepared us in some ways to be a bit more discerning. While I can’t vouch for the veracity of this, I’ve found Simone Gao’s Zooming In channel to be valuable (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWMVBg1RPrDlakdmbyTKBA)
Simone is clearly taken seriously by media, getting opportunities to ask questions at CDC press conferences.
Sadly, I won’t be mentioning this in conversation with my Chinese friends, where mention of Falun Gong will spark all kinds of agitation.
Check out today’s show and decide for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nv7j9HEgY

This is a repost of something I did last week, with some revisions and additions. Hopefully it will help those of you thinking about preparing a deep pantry for the first time with suggestions on how and what to get, as well as point out a few places you forgot for those of you who already have a deep pantry.

Several of you have asked for suggestions and recommendations on what to buy to fill out your deep pantry and hopefully help get you though this crisis.
Rather than give a list of specific supplies for those of you new to preparing and stockpiling a deep pantry, I want to offer a list of supplies by categories, in the hopes this will make you think about your own personal situation and choose wisely, as well as see where you have overlooked a needed supply.
Very few of us can go out and spend thousands of dollars just before an emergency to create a deep pantry. That is why we recommend you do it in stages and over the course of months before a crisis hits. Unfortunately this isn’t the case now.
In this case, given the rapidly growing threat of a global pandemic, you will need to prioritize what you stockpile, and consider how quickly you can do it. Not all of us are in the same danger as others.
Pandemics go through a time progression which looks something like this:

1. Localized Outbreak:
  2. Small Regional Spread
  3. Large Regional Outbreak
  4. Trans-Regional Spread
  5. Mass Infections Across National Boundaries
  6. Hot House State/Global Infection
  7. Outbreak Burnout (either within regions or globally)
  8. Post Outbreak Aftermath
  9. Possible Second Wave - More Severe Than The First?
    Each of these phases has preparation that you need to do, progressing and building on the ones before it.
    They also are not universal. Not everyone is going to need to go completely bonkers yet stocking up.
    The Large Regional outbreak in China, which is now progressing into a Trans-Regional Outbreak in the Asian Rim requires certain drastic preparations that for someone in the rural portions of the United States does not yet need. They can take their time and acquire supplies over a much longer prep time than someone in China right now.
    And yet, China is the manufacturing center of the global economy. So someone in a phase that doesn’t need a measure of preparation later phases do, like that rural person, may still need to up their own preparation because resources are going to be scarce soon.
    But you should remember, YOU HAVE AT LEAST A LITTLE TIME TO GET READY.
    Let’s look at some categories then.

1) Life Critical Medicines:
These are supplies you need to keep yourself alive normally, ignoring the current crisis. As Chris has pointed out, China is the World’s medicine chest. They supply raw materials and finished products which are rapidly running out. This will effect everyone.
Are you diabetic? Do you take medicines on a regular basis? Does any of your family take them? If so, then you need to schedule an appointment with your doctor or pharmacist and talk to them about prescribing a larger supply of your current medications. Also stockpile any equipment you need to give those meds, like syringes, or test strips.
Importantly, are you or your partner pregnant?
Giving birth in a pandemic can be particularly challenging. Consider how you might stockpile if you think you may have to do a home birth during a period of self quarantine. Rather than a hospital deliver, investigate midwife services. Consider birth control and stockpile for it. Its a given that any self quarantine may be boring, and people bored sometimes choose to entertain themselves in a more personal nature. Seek additional supplies of birth control pills or a supply of condoms.
Think not just about yourself but also any elderly family members who don’t live with you. You may decide to bring them into your home with you for protection. They may not see the current crisis as worrisome, and ignore or downplay the need to stockpile but you can always address it as a supply problem. Imports from China, including medicines are being impacted by their national quarantine. Important medications may not be there if they wait.

2) Children and Their Needs:
I’m not a parent, nor do I have children, so I’m going to offer this section from an outsider’s perspective.
Children and their needs depends a lot on their ages. Those who are pre-kindergarten, have different requirements from those who are in grade school, as do those from children in their teens.
While children, like any of us needs food, to me children in particular have a need for distraction. That is, they may have varying levels of understanding of the crisis and the reason they must stay inside and not go out. Entertainment and educational resources will go a long way to keeping young children happy and distracted.
Older children with an honest discussion between you and them can and will help out if given the opportunity, if you explain the importance to them. Consider devoting in the opening phases of your stockpiling, a portion to buy supplies that keep your children busy and entertained. Look to what books, games or DVDs you have on hand.
Don’t forget educational supplies. If conditions worsen schools will be one of the first things closed. Take some time to speak with your children’s teachers and ask them if there are plans to address school closures. I doubt there are but your questions may prompt teachers and school administrators to put plans in place.
Get a library card from your local public library. Most have online catalogs and allow you to request books that way. You can then walk straight in, pick up your requests and walk out with minimal exposure. This also allows for variety in your childrens’ entertainment and education.

3) Pets:
Don’t forget your non-human companions. Stockpile meds if needed. You might think that you could just give them table scraps in a dire situation, but their health will suffer. Look for pet food on discount if money is tight but be aware changing foods can cause diarrhea and digestion problems. Make food changes slowly. Pets can help tremendously in lowing stress and providing comfort. Don’t neglect their welfare.
Don’t have a pet? Consider volunteering at a nearby shelter. People will get sick and be unable to help out. Nothing more sad than to imagine animals slowly dieing for lack of food or water because no one is there. Consider being a foster too. Having a new animal in the house can provide distraction and help with boredom and stress. And as a foster, after the crisis passes, you can return the animal.
AND NO: Animals do not carry or transmit this virus, unless someone infected sneezes on their fur and you stick your face in it right afterwards.

4) Transportation:
Beginning tomorrow, fill you car’s gasoline tank at 3/4. Yes, that means you will be stopping to fill a lot. Get used to it.
Transportation is your lifeline to supplies and support. In a city wide lock down, there will be no ambulances, no mass transit. While I don’t expect electrical service will be disrupted beyond minor blackouts, remember both ATMs and gas pumps don’t work without electricity. If you have the money, consider stockpiling one tank’s worth of gasoline with your deep pantry. Remember you will need to use and rotate any stored fuel if kept more than a few months.
Consider too cooking fuels. You may at some point need to consider cooking on an alternative method that your normal one. A small barbecue with a bag of stored charcoal, or something bigger like a small camp stove with propane or liquid fuel may need to be factored into your prep.

5) Water and the Toilet:
Begin by putting a large plastic tote in the shower and fill it. This can provide a small source of usable water to flush with if needed and can be stepped around to take a shower. Be careful, falls and slips can injure you as easily as the virus can.
Remember, you have 20-30 gallons in your water heater, which you can access if you need to. Do a Youtube search and watch how to open and drain your water heater. In many cases domestic water heaters have a build up in mineral scalings, which may drain with the water. Best consider this a source of water for flushing your toilet and not for drinking.
If the water does temporally shut off, remember to conserve. Many people forget that, and flush as they would normally, wasting precious water. Put a bottle of common bleach in the bathroom. After you use the toilet, pour a small amount into the soiled water and only flush when waste becomes a problem. Just because it smells a little doesn’t mean it can’t sit for a bit.
Pick up a few bottles of toilet cleaner too, then before you go to bed, flush and pour some in the bowl to help sanitize and keep bacteria from growing.
Something else, buy lots of toilet paper. You can go hungry but if you can’t wipe your butt, you are not going to be happy. Stock up on feminine hygiene products too if needed.
Consider buying at least some sealed drinkable water containers. Humans need about a gallon a day, either through food, juices or water. Plan for that. Most grocery stores have fillable water jugs and it runs about $1 per gallon. Remember though, water is heavy. Don’t stack too much in one place in your home.
1 gallon milk jug size water containers, prefilled and sanitized are available at the grocery store. Personally I went a size larger. My store has 2 1/2 gallon prefilled containers, which each have a spout for use. I like them because they are not too heavy to carry and if needed can be traded or given to an off site family member or friend. At a minimum, I would stockpile 20 gallons a person.
If you have the money pick up one or two plastic 55 gallon drums and fill them with drinkable water. Remember water weighs about 9lbs per gallon, a 55 gallon drum weights around 450lbs. Put them in your basement, garage or where the weight won’t matter.

6) Heat, Cooling and Lighting:
For those of us in North America, we are headed out of the Winter. Heating except in an unexpected cold snap will be less of a problem, one that heavy blankets on the bed and a sweater worn inside may solve. For those of you in the South Hemisphere, you need to consider what the approaching Winter will do to your home and preparations, if power and fuel is interrupted. We can actually live in unheated environments, and our ancestors did so.
Same with cooling, though its likely that the Corona virus will decrease when warmer weathers become common.
For lighting in a electrical disruption, candles may seem romantic but there are many newer led camp lights which last a long time on batteries. Get one, and get at least one replacement of batteries. Get half a dozen small flashlights too. Put them at doors, bathroom especially and have everyone in the household keep one on their person.
Don’t forget getting some matches and a few lighters.
IMPORTANT: Buy a couple of fire extinguishers if you don’t have one. Put one in the kitchen and another next to each person’s bed. Talk about how you will exit the house in an emergency and where you will all meet up with your family.
Change the batteries in your smoke detectors this week. Stock up on replacement batteries for your common devices. Consider rechargeable batteries and a solar charger too.

7) Money and Capital Resources:
A lot of us have several credit cards, and they should be considered a usable resource if needed. Don’t hesitate to rack up some debt if you have to in this crisis. Just be wise about it, remember you are going to have to pay it back eventually.
Consider putting at least a few hundred dollars in cash at home, in small denomination bills. If you can, up that to $500 or more. While I doubt it might happen, a very serious crisis could cause bank runs or government interventions which make your savings and financial resources unreachable.
Its quite possible that during this crisis there will be computer disruptions and your cards, both credit and debit, may be declined. Have with you an amount of cash will allow you to buy needed supplies. An yet, be careful and don’t flash large amounts of easily stolen cash. Put a smaller amount ($20-30) in a pocket that you can access, and the rest safely hidden.
Also consider paying your utilities and monthly bills in advance at least one month. I’m not sure how this crisis will effect billing and such things. I would hope that services would make allowances for people in need but then they may not. More and more, computers are in charge of who gets their services turned off. Don’t let a illness put you in the dark or sends the sheriff to your door to evict you.
If you haven’t move yet, your 401K or other investments into cash options NOW. This crisis will probably bring on a recession and cause a serious correction in the Market. Don’t survive and end up poor because you were focused on the real world and ignored the financial one.

8) Security and Protection:
If you own a firearm, check it, clean it and put it somewhere you can get at it. If you don’t own one, consider putting some sort of protection where its handy. Also have something with you if you go out.
I remember when I worked as a security guard in college, the police instructor who trained us said this, that carrying a billy club was illegal, but one of the longer and heavy flashlights wasn’t. If we had to use that for protection then it was ok. Likewise, I have in my car as 4 way tire iron, for changing tires. I also have a hollow steel pipe which fits over one arm of that, to provide leverage to unstick frozen wheel nuts. That four foot pipe can be just as easily used to defend myself.
If your family members are uneasy with firearms, then consider non lethal means like pepper spray. Hang one or two on the back of any entrance door so that if there is someone trying to force their way into your home, its handy. Put a baseball bat at the door too.
Don’t forget your car either. Put a can of pepper spray inside where each occupant can use it thru the window if need be.
No, I don’t think we will see roving bands of MadMaxian thieves assaulting our homes. And yet, in many Third World countries you can be attacked and robbed in the few feet from your car to your front door. Become situational aware. Watch your environment. Crises like these bring out the best in people but also bring out the worst.

9) Virus Related Medicinals:
We covered life critical medicines in section one. A second section must be those medicinals related to the crisis.
You may not be able to cure the underlying illness but often being able to handle the symptoms can go a long way to keeping you alive. Look at the symptoms that this virus has, cough, fever, diarrhea and find over the counter medicines to address each of them. Stock up, its going to be rough. Don’t forget simply instruments. A good thermometer and oximeter can tell you when its time to brave the line at the local hospital or end up dead.
Buy some comfort foods for the sick, like frozen popsicles or ice cream. This virus causes sore throats and coughs. Being able to just sit and eat something cold and tasty will go a long way to making the ill comfortable.
Attitude is going to be critical in recovering from this virus.
Consider your self quarantine measures as well. One of your household is certainly going to be sick. Your job is to see that all of you don’t. Personal protection equipment (PPE) to prevent the virus from spreading inside your home and to protect you when you have to go out for supplies, is critical. Buy what you can but don’t hoard. Others out there will need supplies too. Read up here on how you can extend the life of your PPE and masks. Protect yourself and don’t put yourself and your family at risk if you can help it.
Don’t over look less traditional medicinals, like herbals and supplements. You need to strengthen your bodies immune system and stay healthy and well. Read where you can. Knowledge is your friend.
Also don’t over look the way that a good 8 hours of sleep can increase your resistance to infection and boost your immune system.
Dr Seheult on the Medcram Youtube channel has a host of good detailed and informative videos that compliment Chris’s here on Peak Prosperity. He has a series on how sleep helps too.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbM6VVkVZM&t=1s
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4pBkslqS4

10) Food:
I put food at the end of this list because it is often the first thing people think of when they begin to prepare and it is probably one of the least important things to stockpile. I know most people will take issue with this, but its true. You can survive a long while on little food. You can’t if you are diabetic and don’t have insulin.
Food is important but you must approach it with some smarts. Food is a supply you can easy go overboard on and waste your money.
Lets consider some key points to outfitting your deep pantry with food.
10a) Buy what You Eat:
Too many new people to stockpiling will see the ads for survival food and buy into a bulk purchase of foods which do provide the needed nutrition but which are completely useless as additions to their deep pantries.
Simply this, if you don’t eat rice or beans on a regular basis, buying 20 pounds of either as a basis for your deep pantry is wrong. Either of those staples may keep you alive, but you aren’t going to enjoy it.
Purchase the food which you eat in your pre-crisis life. Deep pantries aren’t something you buy and then store in the basement never to touch unless it gets bad. Deep pantries are really just buying your normal groceries that you eat from day to day, but buying them a few months out. One hint, as you buy stuff and build up your deep pantry, date each item with a magic marker, then try and choose the oldest food item in the pantry when you need to eat.
That also means deep pantries aren’t static. You need to set up a schedule of weekly menus so that you don’t end up with supplies that are years old. Second hint, buy and put up a small white board in your kitchen, both to plan a menu and to remind yourself of any needed additions.
This virus outbreak isn’t going to cut off our access to food. Some things may get out of stock. There may be food runs too, where local stores empty out. You though, know enough to plan ahead and not let panic dictate your actions.
10b) Consider How Its Stored:
Most of your deep pantry will need to be stored for a while, at least weeks if not months. When you purchase and fill out your deep pantry, be aware of that fact.
The majority of the food you buy will be in cans or packaging which allows room temperature, dry storage. If its one thing modern grocers have perfected, its making food that lasts. That’s good.
Some things may require electrical cold storage. I own a 7 cubic foot freezer and its almost always filled to the top. If power goes out though, that food will quickly turn to unusable garbage unless I cook it and eat it. Electrical cold storage though is very useful and as I’ve pointed out, at least in the US, during this crisis, electrical supplies of power should be constant.
Try though to buy those foods that store at room temperature.
10c) Plan For Foods While You Are Sick:
A portion of your food prep should be foods that are easy to make (think 2 minutes in the microway), can be eaten cold (most soups or canned meat), or are nutritious and easily digested (think teas, broths, juices). Don’t forget electrolyte replenishers like Gatoraid.
Diarrhea can be a symptom of this virus, which will deplete important minerals, salts and sugars from your body. If we can’t cure the virus, then we have to survive the symptoms.
10d) Buy A Few Comfort Foods:
Nothing cuts stress like a couple of cookies.
Its tempting when you first outfit a deep pantry to focus just on the basics and the core supplies. That is a mistake. We aren’t just animals eating that which we need. We are emotional beings that sometimes just want to have a hot cup of coffee and some chocolate. Remember that when things are hard, its helpful to be able to step back, recenter our thoughts and let the stress go for a moment, before getting back into the fight is critical to your survival.
10e) Start Growing Something:
Even if its just a few sprouts. Or a bucket of microgreens. Start now to gain at least a small amount of control on where your food comes from.
You can check out this tutorial on the forum here on how to make a low cost ($10) self watering planter for patios or balconies.
https://peakprosperity.com/forum-topic/self-watering-garden-containers/
Growing some of your own food is also a great way to keep children focused and entertained. The act of caring for a plant and watching it grow, to then harvest from it and see it on the table is a powerful way to help your children through this trying event.

Optional: 11) Things That You Can Trade:
Unfortunately, for every one of you reading Peak Prosperity and preparing for an emergency, there are 99 who don’t. Some of them may be your friends and neighbors.
Think about what you can spare and where you need to say no. And what you might have extra in the case you have forgotten something, or need more of an important supply, like medicines, that you can use in trade. Be careful to only trade with people you know and then to guard yourself. Never let on that you are a juicy target that someone desperate might want to rob. Trade small and walk away.

Note on where to get supplies: Don’t over look non-conventional sources. Its natural to think grocery stores or big box retailers, but places which sell to retailers and businesses often have a larger supply of goods, and a lower price. I recently stopped by a restaurant supplier looking for a 55 gallon drum. They didn’t have them but they had a box of rubber gloves which I had just paid $9 at a hardware store for $5. And they had another 50 boxes of those gloves on the shelf. Think outside of the box.

Ok, that’s some thoughts and suggestions.
I suspect I’m missing a whole lot of things but at least it gets you thinking. Remember, developing a deep pantry and preparing for hard times isn’t just going out and buying a whole lot of canned food.
For every dollar you have to supply a deep pantry, unfortunately you are going to have 3-4 things that you think you need to buy. Take your time, think though your options and even if you later think you chose wrong, don’t worry about it too much. You will make mistakes. This isn’t a situation with right or wrong but a situation where you can only choose what is best for you.
Be safe.

Do steamers work to kill this virus?

I’ve been here for 11 years, not 11 days. Gold’s history as money spans millennia and although digital currencies are popular, I’m fairly certain hard currency will retain it’s value long after most digital currencies hit the dust bin. Take a look at the buying tendencies of Russia and China in the precious metals sector over the last decade. Those with the gold make the rules…FYI. Tangible wealth is going nowhere except into stronger hands.

If we are learning anything from the experience of those suffering over in China (both the sick and the healthy) it is that keeping a level head in the face of adversity is strongly advised.
There are so many panic type videos coming out of China lately. The behavior verges on primitive in some of them. And it must feel like being inside a boiling pressure cooker for those that were not ready nor prepared to shelter in place at home while this illness gripped entire neighborhoods or cities.
Shopping itself can jeopardize your life in China if you are caught without a mask or the correct responses for the police. So much fear.
The worst I saw was that policeman beating a dog to death while it was tied to a tree. For what? Because people have been conditioned in a very short time by remarks from their leaders to fear animals as a possible disease vector.
Where do peoples minds go under duress? We need to pause and learn from this. When our turn comes we can all do better I hope. Like poverty, fear is a state of mind. It can be overcome if we choose.

When I went to post I was just sent to a CloudFair verification (I am not a robot). Is that a new thing?

I agree with you Montana. Gold will always have value and indeed it will outlive every paper currency we might name.
But it’s not money if you can’t spend it. And the powers that be in this world have no intention of bringing it back.
(See you on the daily gold page if you want to talk about it).

Get your taxes done. A lot can be done and paid online, now. I sent all my stuff to accountant in Jan. and everything will be completed by next week. Think about all the bills you can pay ahead and things that can be paid by credit card and over the net. Get your credit cards paid down so you have some flexibility. When is your vehicle registration due? Can you pay it ahead? Property taxes,here, can now be paid by credit card over the net. Do US Census online. Starting April 1. Don’t delay or someone will show up at your door. Drive and act prudently, carefully, calmly and responsibly from now on. Incur no fines. Do not put a target on your back. No inflamitory Tshirts, masks, bumper stickers. Go grey.

David & Sally Abel, Life on the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship (2/14/20)
The Abels make a direct appeal to Richard Branson to rescue Brits from the ship, to fly them to UK medical facilities for screening and treatment. David reviews a friend’s experience with flawed Covid-2019 tests, giving both positive and negative results. Passengers are “in revolt”, refusing to see doctors due to unreliable medical testing and communication issues due to language differences. “People are going through Hell.”
https://youtu.be/rI-iFiV1jns

I was looking at Chris’ latest video where he states that soluble ACE2 blocks the viral receptor. This goes back to a Nature report that is behind their paywall. Anyway the gist is that soluble ACE2 protects against infection with SARS in cell cultures.
The easiest way to make soluble ACE2 (better than the previous methods discussed here) is to simply take the human gene and truncate the transmembrane domain. The extracellular component is normally found on cell surfaces and transfused as a soluble protein would be expected to escape immune rejection.

Video of Chinese woman being taking for quarantine, loaded into a small box on the back of a truck. Heartbreaking and terrifying.
https://youtu.be/P3yH-X-IfVQ

Uv light boxes such as those used for baby bottle sterilizing could make reuse of hard to get face masks and other items doable. I saw one article where UV light was used to sterilize blood plasma in MERS patients. I would love to hear an opinion on this approach from anyone with medical training