Occupy Wall Street: What’s Really Going On

[quote=Tim_P] 
You are not correct in your definition of corruption.  Your incorrect definition of corruption stands as the foundation for the point you are trying to make.  Once you understand the meaning of corruption, you will see that your assumption is also incorrect.  To catagorize every single purchase as corrupt is simply narrow minded and represents the very two dimensional thought that you are crying out against.
Tim
[/quote]
I’m not sure his definition is such a far reach. An extreme example, yes, but sometimes illustrating an extreme is a good way to validate more subtle assumptions that we tend to gloss over in every day life, due to their commonality.
So at the risk of being pedantic, here is the Wiki definition:

In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal. In economy, corruption is payment for services or material which the recipient is not due, under law. This may be called bribery, kickback, or, in the Middle East, baksheesh.
 And
Political corruption is the abuse of public power, office, or resources by elected government officials for personal gain, e.g. by extortion, soliciting or offering bribes[2] It can also take the form of office holders maintaining themselves in office by purchasing votes by enacting laws which use taxpayer money.[3] Systemic corruption, the complete subversion of a political or economic system. Governmental corruption of judiciary is broadly known in many transitional and developing countries because the budget is almost completely controlled by the executive. The latter undermines the separation of powers, as it creates a critical financial dependence of the judiciary. The proper national wealth distribution including the government spending on the judiciary is subject of the constitutional economics. It is important to distinguish between the two methods of corruption of the judiciary: the government (through budget planning and various privileges), and the private.[4]  
The notion that we are complicit in an act of corruption by simply making a purchase is distasteful and alarming, particularly by people who consider themselves (and usually are in every meaningful measure) completely honest and conscientious. The insinuation suggests that were are victims of a grand illusion, dupes in a sense, because of the cognitive dissonance between our perception (achieved at significant effort) of personal honestly and integrity, with the accusation of dishonesty. It does not add up. Are there some elements of truth in the accusation that we are all complicit in a corruption by engaging in a simple purchase- yes I think so. But a reasonable defense is that the lack of transparency incumbent in many if not most of these transactions makes it difficult to ascertain if there is culpability. But if you look hard enough it is certainly there. I read a Pew report (sorry no link) that concluded that if mutli-national corporations were prohibited from externalizing their costs, that somewhere between 1/3 and ½ of all the global profits would be consumed to cover these costs. Instead, these costs are passed back into society as a whole, where everyone else is forced to either endue the environmental and societal damage or remediate the cost extraction- with their own money. To add my own conjecture to this, I would surmise that if in addition to these externalized costs, if these same corporations were forced to a pay the same tax rates that I pay, that the financial burden would leave no profits at all. While one might well argue that this incongruence is the result of excessive taxation (as most here would suggest) there is a counter argument that suggests that the basic presumption of capitalism is invalid if the only way to show profits is to hide and externalize the true costs- and to not pay tax. A scary thought, but one that must be considered given the events of 2008, and one that looms on the periphery of the OWS protests. While the Tea Party movement of the last few years raises disturbing questions about government size and overreach as causality, the recent OWS movement raises some even more disturbing questions about corporations, capitalism, and the destructive elements of finance that props them up. It must be said, that the undercurrents and conclusions of these two disparate efforts are radically different from one another. They both cannot be right.    

Gov. Hickenlooper statement on Occupy Denver

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=GovHickenlooper%2FCBONLayout&cid=1251607569668&pagename=CBONWrapper

DENVER — Friday, Oct. 14. 2011 — Gov. John Hickenlooper today released this statement about the events last night in Lincoln Park in downtown Denver:

“The First Amendment and the rights it guarantees for free speech and assembly are critical to our democracy. These rights are what set the United States above all other nations. We also have rules and laws that must be followed.

“Demonstrators in Lincoln Park were told every day this week they could not camp in the park. Yet each day the number of tents grew. Last night, and after multiple requests to follow the law, the Colorado State Patrol intervened. State troopers and Denver police demonstrated extreme restraint and professionalism as they encountered a very difficult situation.

“We owe the Colorado State Patrol a great deal of gratitude for their work. We also greatly appreciate the efforts by state employees from the Colorado Department of Transportation and the Department of Personnel and Administration, as well as the support from the Denver Police Department and Xcel Energy.

“Some people are finding it easy today to criticize the state’s response this week to what is a national movement in many cities across the country. There were numerous jurisdictional and legal issues to work through before a clear course of action could be set. For example, the state does not have a jail nor does the state have direct prosecutorial authority for park violations. We needed the cooperation of other entities and wanted to be very deliberate and thorough in our response.

“In the end, we worked with Occupy Denver to find a resolution that included constructive communication, many people voluntarily leaving the park, no violence and minimal arrests.

“We understand the frustration voiced by demonstrators about the economy, the loss of jobs and dysfunction in Washington. That’s why we are intently focused on economic development in Colorado. Just this week the state saw two global companies make significant investments in Colorado that will add jobs and momentum to business development efforts happening throughout the state.

“This kind of economic news doesn’t solve all of the issues raised by demonstrators this week, but it does show we all want the same thing: a healthy America where everyone can prosper.”

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/224593/346/Firsthand-account-of-Occupy-Denver-protests

KUSA - They say to not judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his shoes. In this case, 9NEWS investigative reporter Jeremy Jojola took to the streets of Denver to watch a peaceful protest disbanded by local authorities.

VIEW SLIDESHOW

As you’re reading this, I’ll likely be in bed after covering the Occupy Denver movement downtown for 10 hours. Hopefully my journalism was fair, objective and accurate.

Covering protests are challenging because any observations I make, how I phrase words and my tone of voice can be interpreted as bias.

There’s no doubt there’s a lot of passion behind the protests and a lot of skepticism too. I tried to be as neutral as possible while making significant observations.

My work began Thursday night/Friday morning after a regular shift at work. I got home, but I couldn’t sit still as the Occupy Movement was making news. I headed downtown with the intent to tweet everything I saw.

You can read all of my twitter posts here. You’ll have to scroll down quite a bit to see my first tweet with the #occupydenver hashtag. I did quite a bit of tweets.

There was so much I saw and experienced, it’s hard to put everything in a nutshell. But here are my impressions:

On the Protestors:

• Most protestors wanted to be peaceful. Some tried to echo this attitude with megaphones. They were successful at peace for the most part.
  • A very small minority of protestors seemed to be troublemakers. One suggested to break into the Governor's house. At the end of the protest, some were yelling a lot of cuss words at police and calling them pigs. It was clear these few protestors were trying to bait police.
  • While there was no clear leader or organizer, some protestors wearing orange vests tried to self-police the crowd. In many cases they were successful by removing drunks who were causing trouble. They also did a good job of keeping people from entering Broadway.
  • Rumors were rampant in the crowd. Several times some protestors announced with assurance police were coming at a specific moments.
  • Spirits were high and there was a lot of comradery among protesters.
LISTEN: HEAR THE VOICE OF THE OCCUPY DENVER PROTESTERS

On our presence:

• Someone said they saw a protestor throw a rock at our news unit. I didn't see this.
  • I mentioned on air that some protestors seemed to be aggressively posturing at the capitol building. Later we were yelled at by a guy with a megaphone who said we were promoting violence on air.
  • Many protesters were happy we were there to document and observe and thanked us.
  • One protestor started verbally attacking the wife of one of my co-workers.
  • One protestor was a champ and stood behind our crew and looked out for us as encounters between some protestors and police got intense.
  • People who were able to see our live video coverage said we did a good job and actually came up to us on scene to shake our hands. That felt good.
On police presence:
  • I expected people to physically resist once police started breaking down and removing tents. That didn't happen. Protestors mainly watched officers in riot gear dismantle tents methodically.
  • With loads of vulgarities tossed at police towards the end of the protest, officers didn't seem phased at all. They remained stoic and reserved.
  • Organization was clear. It was clear there was a plan to surround protestors bit by bit. It also seemed police didn't move in quickly. They waited until the weary went home and the crowd got smaller.
Overall:

In the end it was a fascinating scene to see everything play out. Props to the peaceful protestors. Props to the police who restrained themselves despite some pretty inciting comments from some people. With the exception of a few bad protestors, this event didn’t result in serious injury or death.

While some have said there is no clear message among the protestors, it is clear they don’t like corporate greed and its influence over government.

To see Jeremy Jojola’s photos that he took on his cell phone, visit his blog here, http://jeremyjojola.com/2011/10/14/in-the-middle-of-occupy-denver-what-i-saw-pics-below/.

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

I think I had one too many Shiner Bocks when I wrote that.  Sorry for the gratuitous cursing.  I am actually enjoying this (I don’t comment too much).Rector 

That’s the most meaningless thing I have seen posted here in quite awhile.  "Autonomous, volunteer based labor systems, locally produced. . ."
"Solutions" have to have some chance of implementation, or they remain intellectual constructs discussed by the pundit class.  Try suggesting something that will work in the real world with real people.  (Not those who use 15th century English in 2011).
Rector

It is not clear that these protestors are "real" as opposed to paid for by the Soros crowd.  If Obama speaks positively of them as did Pelosi it leaves one to wonder whether they are being used to prop up BHO’s failed presidency.  So I would not lavish praise on these folks.  They have a right to protest (and I don’t think FOX denies them that).  But their sudden appearance and generic dissatisfaction is suspicious.  The stakes are high for BHO and he cannot run on his record he needs to manufacture something else–some way to get Amercians afraid not the vote for him.  It is his only chance to avoid defeat.  
At the end of the day Barney Frank and Chris Dodd are MORE responsible (by requiring Fannie and Freddie to buy sub prime loans) for the financial disaster of 2008 than Wall Street though they made sure they profitted from it.

In the coming disaster there are no blameless people including all of the Americans who took out mortgage they knew or should have known they could never pay back.  Greed is systemic and no one is immune.

http://weoccupyamerica.blogspot.com/2011/09/eight-rules.html#!/2011/09/eight-rules.html

We asked @CynthiaBoaz, a proponent of Mahatma Gandhi’s satyagraha (nonviolent) activism methods, for a set of principles to help guide #OccupyAmerica. She gave us back this series …

1. Nonviolent action AND nonviolent speech, no matter what.  Zero tolerance for violence.

2. Unity of message across orgs & people. Consistent demands, all should know them.

3. There must be a long-term and coherent strategy, not just tactics & actions.

4. Police should be seen as potential recruits to the movement, not the enemy.

5. Keep national/international audience in mind when framing. Goal is to win people over.

6. Defensive strategies never win. Don’t respond to attacks using their language.

7. Claim victory whenever possible. Important for morale.

8. Keep anger in check /w solidarity actions & humor.

seems quite reasonable to me.  … dons

[quote=rhare]
the Fox take was awful, so was the RT. RT was slanted toward the "corporate greed" and didn’t even hint that perhaps the government policies might be involved in a lot of this mess.[/quote]

I believe the problems we see in government are symptoms of a greed based economic structure, the attempt to make greed work for others. The corruption and power grab that follows greed has infected the political system of the country. The individual in government willing to be bought off and the greedy individual paying the money are both at fault. Corporate greed is a very strong force of political corruption and I think RT may be one of the few that realizes this, or is at least willing to report on the cause and not an effect.
Sure it took a while for the influential and powerful to buy out our three tiered government but they did it, and may have done it a couple other times in the past.
OWS is focusing on the cause of the symptoms we see in government and realizes that the current system of government is so corrupt and hobbled that there is “no real debate, discussion, nor real participation is happening in Congress or the Senate.” I don’t know how long OWS can hold out or if they can really start to form another system along side the current. But I do think they are focusing on the root of the problem and that they realize the majority of those in Congress and House will never serve the interests of the people of this nation with our current governmental and electoral systems…thus they, OWS, are trying to be heard by another route.

Where have you been? Don’t tell me. Let me guess. Fox News…

[quote=Johnny Oxygen] 

Heffe Wrote: Toil, toil, bubble and boil.... Another day, another royal.... failure on the part of everyone here, to ask questions that are sincere, Instead they pose left vs right false dichotomies.... While sifting through their imaginary wealth and paper monies.... Every come to mind, any of you highly intelligent folks, that the problems lie much deeper? Every think with those billions of neurons, that our contemporary meeting of supply with demand is....backwards?? I see so many well articulated posts here, yet none of them even begin to pose critical analysis of the problem at hand. Everyone here knows about our infinite growth paradigm, within a finite planet, so why doth thee continue to support the monetary-market economy? Let me explain it simply;
Once again arrogant and pretentious.[/quote] Not everyone, but pretty damn close.

[quote=earthwise]

Okay fellas, I think that this is something we can all agree on: that this is funny:
http://www.jsmineset.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/clip_image0016.jpg
Hat tip to Jim sinclair at jsmineset.com[/quote]
Good find. People are talking and tossing their opinions around without any firsthand knowledge of what’s going on. For those that don’t know what OWS is all about and won’t go to an #occupy event to witness firsthand, then at least listen to Chris and others who have. Fox news, MSN and the rest of mainstream media is going to inundate and indoctrinate you with their fantasies.

I disagree completely.  They are far more similar than different … which is why you see them joining together in places like NYC.  They are overlapping but not congruent.  Also, they can certainly both be right.  They just have different points of primary focus.

in optimistic/positive mode:
 it’s a focal point(*), don’t just go to watch, go to share your views and learn… and influence.

Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question . . .
Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
Let us go and make our visit.

(*) … or rather a set of focal points…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/14/protesters-london-stock-exchange

Welcome to Ecuador! I arrived on September 17th, 2008. Quito is the Capital, right on the Equator, at 9,350 ft. (1.77 miles) above sea level in the heart of the Andes Mountains, where the weather is 50’s in the evening, and 70’s during the day all year round! Do not hesitate to contact me for your relocation or exploration needs! http://JourneymanJack.com/

[quote=ao][quote=darbikrash]
While the Tea Party movement of the last few years raises disturbing questions about government size and overreach as causality, the recent OWS movement raises some even more disturbing questions about corporations, capitalism, and the destructive elements of finance that props them up. It must be said, that the undercurrents and conclusions of these two disparate efforts are radically different from one another.
They both cannot be right.
[/quote]
I disagree completely.  They are far more similar than different … which is why you see them joining together in places like NYC.  They are overlapping but not congruent.  Also, they can certainly both be right.  They just have different points of primary focus.
[/quote]
Neither the Tea Party nor OWS has a full picture of the problems we face, in my opinion, but both are asking important questions. Both groups are also vulnerable to co-opting by others, the Tea Party by the "right" and OWS by the "left". That has already happened to some degree for the Tea Party, and we could be seeing the beginning of the same with OWS.

Plato your post are rather cryptic tonight

[quote=rhare]When I look at the banners and signs from the OWS I see a lot of "sponsorship" from the left based organization already - look at all the Unions that have jumped on the wagon and even the president and members of congress.  This already looks a lot less grass-roots than the Tea party.  I also worry because I see a whole lot more "us versus them" at the OWS  than I did at tea party events.
[/quote]
I guess this comes from our human nature, the need of a boogeyman to coalesce against. "We have met the enemy and he is us" just doesn’t get people woken up in the morning… It probably makes us more prone to suicide even… Maybe humans are doomed to fail precisely because nature hasn’t given us anything to cope with our current situation? Bah, who knows. 1% makes for a good scapegoat to get things changing maybe, and after a couple of wars, things may actually get better. Cheer up, I didn’t see that one (OWS) coming, so who knows what else will happen :slight_smile:
Samuel

You can’t see what the person in green.did to the cop, though I suspect with so many people and cops and cameras around, it’s not likely he would be the lone person doing something.
At around 1:30, start paying close attention. A white-shirt officer throws a huge punch at a person in green, who then goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZcJ31g0ScQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZcJ31g0ScQ

Below, a link to another video from a different angle. Person in green walking, then the officer pulls him around and…

http://bcove.me/qexqctvv

Poet

Hi all,
I am just home from the protests in Brisbane, to pack to head back into ‘Occupy Brisbane’ in support of the wider movement and in Wall Street in particular.

It was a nice day, low key and friendly.  Some people are staying tonight, I will be one of them.  I want the honour of being a ‘first nighter’.

I dont expect the levels of violence seen in America, as I expect our police to be more civil… time will tell.

My hat goes off to those of you over there putting up with such treatment from the system.  it is a violent system this one we live in and it is in times of stress when that comes to the surface.  Good on you guys and girls for hanging in there.

As one of the millions of original Tea Party protesters, here is my litte insight…
Involvement in the Tea Party…a personal account.

Concerns started way before the ‘change of guard’ in the white house.  Most of us in my part small part of the world felt something not quite right.  But like many Americans, we go with the flow, work, kids, chores…day after day.  While we don’t really have our head in the sand about politics, we watch the news and are thinking, geez…what are these people doing?  During the campaign, the something not quite right feelings began to grow.  We started looking a little closer, we started paying attention, we started researching.  Not just about the president was doing or was planning, but about all of the politicians.   

The trigger (for me anyway) was the exorbitant amount of ‘stimulus’  ie spending taxpayer money in less than 2 months of the president taking office.  What?  I remember saying this over and over every single time I turned on the news.  They did what?  They spent what?  The country is broke!  Where is the money coming from?  I read the entire stimulus bill (I’ve also read the entire health bill btw)  The waste, unnecessary crap they included in these bills is appalling!  Anyway, when I started hearing about the Tea Party protest coming up on 4/15, I told my husband I wanted to go.  We weren’t sure what it would be like or if there would be a bunch or radicals there or what.  We had heard they were expecting about 300 people.  They had several speakers lined up that I wanted to hear.  So we went.   

Wow, were we ever surprised at what we saw!  There were people of all ages, all races, all political persuasions.  Wow!  It was invigorating!  THIS is America we thought (and felt)  The coordinators were positive, the speakers were positive!  It was a meeting of ‘we the people’, a hope that we could actually do something to get the government to stop the wasteful spending.   It was exciting, we felt we would be able to make a difference.  Over 7,000 showed up at that first protest.

I attended 3 more local protests and 1 state protest throughout the rest of the year.  Not once did I see or hear anything racist, inciting violence, or anything of the awful nature that you saw on the news.  Thousands people, with their flags, lawn chairs with their kids and grandparents, hoping and looking for a way to influence the out of control spending in Washington. It was an awesome experience for me.  

As you know, the Tea Party has grown from us flag waiving protestors to a coordination of efforts by thousands of volunteers to try and influence local, state & federal representatives for fiscal responsiblity, with some success.  And while they have appeared to have evolved into a republican leaning organization, our original protests were against the entire political realm of spending.  I do support what the Tea Party is doing, but I do not have significant involvement at this point.  I don’t have the time needed to devote to their agenda.  In 09/10 I started educating myself on how money & government really works (I love the internet!)  and came to conclusion that the corruption in all levels of government is far too deep and too far gone for anyone to change it.  There is not much we can do to make any significant change to what’s been done, the outcome of the past 40 or so years, anyway you look at it, will be the same.  The change will come when they kill the system.  Best prepare.

My take on OWS…

I have not attended any of the OWS protests.  But I will tell you, based on my Tea Party experience, that what you see on the news, is not even close to the real thing.  I firmly believe that the media has an agenda, so watch at your own risk of media bias.  The snippets I get from the OWS website, the youtube posts, I see a bunch of kids (20 somethings) angry at the ‘man’.  And while yes, they have good reason to be angry, I think most don’t really understand what it is exactly they are angry about.  Jobs, yes…but there are 14 million or so that don’t have jobs. (my husband is one of them layed off from big corporate after 30 years & unemployed for going on 3 years now)  Wall Street, ok, but what is their definition of wall street?  Is it the traders, the bankers, the fed, the government?  All of the above? Many of these kids are spouting hate America & hate capitalism, I see disrespect for authority, direspect for property.  Why is the white house & others encouraging this?  They want something for nothing.  Free healthcare, pay off their school debt, government take care of us.  Rich people take care of us.  Really?  Have we taught our kids nothing about personal responsibility, self sacrifice and self sufficiency?  

Since this is the ‘beginning’ of the protests to tell the ‘man’ we’re not going to take this anymore…most of the kids haven’t experienced life long enough to really know what it is they won’t take anymore.  imho  Perhaps after some time, they will have a direction.  And while they are coordinating efforts today around the globe, I wonder, if they really think they have it as bad here in America as those in Egypt or Spain or any other country.  I pray violence is not the next phase.  

And while we do have major problems with our system, the fed, bankers, gov’t, the powers that be…the debt crisis will override all other issues at some point.  America still offers their citizens the most opportunity to those who are willing to work hard for it.  When and if the system collapses, America can still be the land of opportunity.  Let’s teach our kids how to take care of themselves, plant a garden, help their neighbors…the government will not provide, you have to do it on your own and in your community.  Best prepare.