The Abandonment Of Posts In The Overwatch Building Is Difficult To Accept

I think this is basically all that’s going on here, except there’s a scope too.

1 Like

the window frames have a wire mesh in them, so the barrel has to be short…

SWAT snipers would not use a .22LR lol

I can’t see it from that picture and the windows look open, so I just assumed the barrel is sticking out

I thought you might deliberately misinterpret my point like that. Of course I didn’t mean it was that specific rifle. I meant it might be a stock and a scope without the barrel if somebody wanted the optics but didn’t intend to shoot. You’ve earned your mute now, sorry.

there are photos in the grassley release…the mesh is why the outside looks grainy…same as when Greg took the picture of Crooks…

Dude we’re talking about a sniper team. If they didn’t want to shoot but they wanted to get a better look then they would have an actual spotting scope to use or a set of high powered binoculars, they wouldn’t disassemble their rifle, like what the fuck?? LOL

I didn’t notice it I guess, I just assumed since the window looks open that the barrel was sticking out further or something.

1 Like

i am sure one of the mebers will be able to solve the mystery…i found a few on google that could be like the one in the photo…but the problem is always the barrel length…hopefully someone will answer…if not…lol…it will remain a mystery

we can see from the after action report Greg uses a monocular to spy on what Crooks is doing on his phone…then uses his iphone to take a picture and pass them around

which further confirms that they wouldn’t have to take apart a rifle’s barrel to take a look

its very difficult to interpret someones message sometimes…i think Brain got your tone wrong and so he has muted you…it happens, sometimes we might be smiling when we type a message but it comes across differently…i am british, so we spend our lives taking the P out of each other and its a sign of friendship…doesnt work so well in comments though…lol…

Simple ID here. This appears to be a Springfield M1A/M14 SOCOM platform, chambered almost certainly in .308 and 7.62x51mm. Set in an aftermarket pistol grip and modified stock set. 20 round detachable box magazine. It’s a very competent choice for inside 500 yards, heaving hitting .30 caliber accuracy.

Optic is impossible to tell, but very large piece of expensive glass for long range clarity and precision. Covered in concealment netting to reduce glare and profile of course.

Here’s essentially the same rifle for easier viewing with slight immaterial differences.

Can’t tell what the optic is but for reference, here’s a full sized version of the rifle with a large optic for a visual understanding. Large magnified optics typically are smaller at the eye portion than at the end toward the barrel.

Wink: A little Americana history trivia, the M14/M1A is based on the famous M1 Garand which served the US for decades heroically in WW2 thru Korea. The M14 served in Vietnam thru current day conflicts. Gary Gordon famously carried the M14 (same rifle basically, longer variant), in heroics in the Somalia Black Hawk Down fiasco.

This general rifle design and caliber have essentially served the US very well for almost a century with some minor changes.

3 Likes

you are a star…thank you so much…

1 Like

In addition to the balance of my identification, the lumps and humps you’re seeing are quite likely various white lights, infrared lights, infrared lasers, and/or infra-red laser attachments fixed to the rifle but covered by the netting.

A number of attachments could and would create an odd appearance under the netting. Even though it’s daylight they’d not go thru the hassle of removing them because some may be zeroed and that’s a hassle to re-zero.

Examples:

2 Likes

This is the great thing about this forum, you can ask a question that seams like word salad when typed, but people take their time to explain it in a way that makes sense, and i learnt some history as well…thank you again for your time and knowledge.

I carried a M14 & I have one of my own. I can’t see a SWAT/ESU using some form of it in 2024. I don’t know what is under the camo net, but I don’t think it is a M1A/M14 based rifle. It just doesn’t ‘feel’ like the right answer to the question.

2 Likes

And yet, that’s exactly what that rifle is under the netting, an M14/M1A SOCOM in a aftermarket stock, with a large optic and some forward attachments.

It’s a fully capable rifle employed by the US military globally today and SWAT and LEO nationwide for counter sniper activities. I’d personally go for a larger barrel (own several myself in Scout and National Match), but the SOCOM will hit accurately easily at 500+ yards and stop a engine block on a car. It’s a solid anti-personnel, anti-vehicle option, anti-materiel option.

That basic rifle design (admittedly en-bloc 8 rd .3006 clips, longer barrel, other minor differences; now in .308 with a larger detachable box and cosmetic and ergonomic improvements) has killed hundreds of thousands of Germans, Japanese, Koreans, Iraqis, Afghanis, in a World War and several large protracted wars and smaller conflicts globally, and served in probably tens of thousands of US police and SWAT units in various forms for almost a century.

But now for some reason, it’s irrelevant? LOL. Um. No. The US Marines and US Army beg to differ, pulled them out of mothball in OEF and OIF because we needed the firepower and range. Still serving in global units today.

What’s the better semi-auto, hard hitting, anti-vehicle, anti-materiel, affordable option? There ain’t any within reasonable budgets of small town America. Surprised you carried one and talk smack on it. Did you carry it in war and rely on it. I’ve never met anyone that carried one that dissed on it. I can generally tell the guy who don’t know anything about guns when he talks smack on the M14, the improvement upon the M1 Garand which was labeled by General Patton as the best battle implement ever created, which served globally in every climate (sandy beaches, mud, rain, sleet, snow, frost, seashores, asian swamps and jungles, etc.) admirably and stacked Germans and Japanese like cord wood.

End of the world, it would be on my personal short list and I can own anything. It is a extremely proven system for 80 years globally in all climates and terrain. National Match versions are extremely accurate. The .308 is ubiquitous and a do-all cartridge. It’s a affordable rifle. It’s modular. It’s iconic and S3XY. What’s the exact complaint?

1 Like

That was 20 years ago and there are much better options today. The M14 based rifles are hard to keep in zero with a optic mounted on them. More so if you take them out of the stock to clean them. I shot High Power with a NM M14.

AR-10/SR-25 & SCAR replaced them. And even those are now being replaced by newer rifles.

Maybe you’re right and I’m wrong, but I don’t think so. I was issued a M14 and I have a full size Garand, a Tanker Garand, and a full size M14SA. I like them, but I don’t think that is what is under the camo netting. YMMV

1 Like

my best guesses are maybe Accuracy International AXMC https://stratton-technologies.com/sniper-solutions/27-axmc.html

maybe AX308 even. seems there is some customization available for those rifles and it seems like you can opt out for shorter barrels while retaining the ability to send a big bullet down range.

but in the pictures released to me it looks like a bolt-action rifle, not semi-auto