The Abandonment Of Posts In The Overwatch Building Is Difficult To Accept

It’s clearly what’s under that camo netting. Look at the hinged buttstock, receiver, trigger areas. It’s an M14.

There’s no inherent reason and M14 is hard to keep zeroed. It’s a fixed steel barrel fixed to the steel receiver. Why would it be hard to keep zeroed? Nonsense.

“Better” in what way.
AR10s are nice but not standardized. An AERO is not a Palmetto is not a Christianson… And they get spendy fast.

SCAR?? You’re joking. 4 TIMES the cost for what practical benefit. 1 MOA? Tell me what war the SCARs have proven themselves in. I’ll wait. I was in a SF unit and they tested, and REJECTED the SCARS. It was not adopted in mass by anyone to my knowledge. Why is that do you suppose? (I love FN by the way).
No thanks.

“Newer” is often not better but a more expensive lateral move or steps backwards.

To my knowledge, based on images of current service members in current uniforms using M14s, they are still very relevant. That’s a testimony of the excellent design and reliability. Remember the pedigre is the M1 Garand that served everywhere on the globe admirably, then them M14 which also served in harsh climates, before being replaced due to cost and weight of the rifle and ammo. It was replaced due to bean counters and politics and money. The AR and 5.56 was simply 75% cheaper.

hmmm I think I’ll stick with my guess for now

1 Like

You’re obviously not a experienced gun guy so maybe sit this one out.

1 Like

I posted a near identical photo, you posted random photos of soldiers walking through an desert with an outdated semi-automatic rifle

“Outdated” lol. Keep digging, you’re embarrassing yourself. You’re so far out of your league on this it’s plainly obvious.

It’s an M14 SOCOM in a aftermarket stock, with some barrel lights/laser attachments, as I said many posts ago.

1 Like

so anyways, given the gear the rest of the SWAT members are seen carrying on various bodycams, dashcams, and spectator videos, it’s safe to assume this SWAT team is able to afford more modern and reliable rifles

1 Like

They were pulled out as a stop gap measure until something better could be acquired. It was a “what can we throw out there fast” for right now. I love the M14, but I know its shortcomings, too.

The something better was the M110 SASS aka SR-25 and now is the Geissele Mid-Range Gas Gun, (MRGG), 6.5 Creedmoor or 7.62x51.

1 Like

Sure. When your budget is $800,000,000,000 annually you can arbitrarily mothboll perfectly serviceable M14s for an SR25 that offers no real world benefit.

When you’re Butler county PD that can’t afford to pay duty officers for overwatch, you deploy the M14 you have had in inventory for 20 years.

Tell me the “real world” benefit of an SR25 over the M14. PS. No BS. I own several of both… Hint: There literally is none other than M4 familiarity and some modularity/ergo that are meaningless to most humans. Performance is identical.

1 Like

A irrelevant, and possibly incorrect, point considering we’re discussing the rifle set up by the county/local overwatch. This was the AGR#2 two story building under the control of the local LEOs. Keep digging. It’s entertaining.

1 Like

if you dont mind me saying…you are all talking guns or rifles or whatever…and its bad ass…lol…

1 Like

i do have a question about the rifle in the original icture, the tripod connects quite a way past what i would guess to be the counterbalance spot…so would an atatchment over the barrel as it looks like in the picture be a supressor (silencer i guess) designed for a particular riffle…or is it just the angle that makes it look like the gun/tripod connection is further forward…

Is this you BigTim?

3 Likes

now i am laughing…thank you guys…you made my day,

1 Like

By the way, current $800 BILLION tax dollars are now deploying the new 6.8mm in several platforms. Probably no real-world benefits, maybe a bit lighter and cheaper ammo with hybrid casings, maybe 20% greater range/accuracy at distances few people actually engage targets. Time will tell but we can speculate.

What is NOT speculation: That’s an M14 SOCOM. And alas, the Butler/Beaver overwatch teams did not have $800 BILLION dollars for new rifles. So they pulled out the trusty M14 that has served well for a couple/few decades and deployed it to the 2nd story overwatch knowing it’ll put a round in on a soda can and stop a car or person at 500 meters without question. And has instant follow up with semi-auto speeds if the first round is ineffective.

1 Like

surely that would have required the overwatch teams to be in the same room as the rifle…lol…a water pistol would have been as usefull as that sexy looking rifle…if no one is there to fire it.

A irrelevant,

Why do you keep bringing up money?

and possibly incorrect, point considering we’re discussing the rifle set up by the county/local overwatch.

Seeing how the local SWAT team is composed of many different departments

it’s safe to assume they might “share” weapons. Especially if the budget is so tight, like you keep implying with zero evidence.

This was the AGR#2 two story building under the control of the local LEOs.

Okay thanks for clearing that up.

Keep digging.

Digging for what? Are you okay?

It’s entertaining.

You’re the same guy that told me you were going to stop replying to me.

Probably has a locking and swivel mechanism, hard to tell from the picture due to the camo netting. A simple twist likely releases tension for a ball-joint type movement, like your shoulder joint. To move in any horizontal and vertical direction within reason.

1 Like

thank you

And I’m sure (sarcasim on) that Butler/Beaver’s highest budget priority is replacing extremely serviceable and reliable M14s rarely even used. Not hiring, not overtime, not body armor, not ammo for training, not new radios, not a K9 units, not service pistols, not vehicles, not dispatch computers and equipment, not upgrades to medical training and gear… But I bet replacing M14s they’ve had in inventory for 3 decades but probably never shot someone with for some bolt actions is a top budget priority on a strained local LEO budget breakdown.

Holy wow man…

I simply can’t resist pointing out all of your obvious follys. I’m only human.

1 Like

That was me last night when someone accused me of spreading misinformation, then repeatedly spread misinformation about me. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like