Why Covid-19 Demands Our Full Attention

Dave, I wish you the best. we’re all in this together. Along those lines, many times I’ve felt a cold or some illness coming on and I go sleep for 10 hours straight if I can. This helps immensely. Another thing that I believe has helped me fend off colds is the sauna. I’ve heard that it may boost leukocyte production by simulating a fever.

Note: I’m placing this video here instead of behind the paywall article “What We’re doing to Prepare” as more viewers will be able to access it.
Brad Harris of Full Spectrum Survival (FSS) mentions in this video that it is illegal in China to buy some of these meds (e.g., Ibuprofen), or that they are simply unavailable due to supply shortages. This forces people to go to fever centers or hospitals, or go without meds to treat Covid-2019 symptoms. In this video, he reviews 20 OTC meds and equipment currently available in the US that may be in short supply or unavailable if/when the virus spreads such that the authorities place cities, regions or states under quarantine.
CDC WARNING: BUY THESE 20 HEALTHCARE ITEMS BEFORE THEY ARE GONE AND WHY
https://youtu.be/nN1dpEgmmYM
Background: Brad Harris is not a medical professional, but a citizen researcher with a computer/software tech background which he’s leveraged to write programs/algos that track geopolitical, environmental, health/medical and other events and content across the internet and through other sources. His videos are apolitical and focus on preparedness and building resilience through practical, affordable, actionable steps for the common person. Some of his video titles might be considered a bit alarmist by some people, but his content is based on cited research and recommendations from recognized resources.
Disclosure: I have no personal or financial interests in FFS or its personnel.

Let’s say you fracture your tibia and it’s a non-displaced fracture. Conventional medical wisdom says put a cast on it for 6-8 weeks and be non-weightbearing. So when you get your cast off, you’ll have atrophy, joint stiffness, and possibly other problems at the level of involvement as well as farther up the kinetic chain from disuse and misuse. If you’re very worried about the outcome, the resulting neurophysiologically induced biochemical changes often result in a self-fulfilling prophecy of delayed healing and the development of secondary complications. If your nutrition is poor, bone healing is even slower. If you’re a smoker, it’s even slower. In short, you’re fuxored.
Now let’s look at another individual. They have the same fracture. But their nutrition is good and they’re not a smoker. And because of their positive belief system, they up their nutrition game even more with nutrients including Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2, folate, strontium, silicon, boron, magnesium, calcium, etc. They also use herbs like boneset and homeopathic remedies like symphytum. And very importantly, they don’t use a cast and don’t stay completely non-weight-bearing. In fact, they use a progressive axial sinusoidal loading program to just barely pain tolerance and they repeat this program again and again in multiple sets and reps prescribed by their more enlightened health care practitioner. They may use an herbal wrap but no hard cast. Acupuncture may even come into play to direct more life energy to the area. They do this day after day with the introduction of very slow motion, Tai Chi type, multi-angular weight shifting exercises to tolerance and then gait to tolerance. And their positive mindset keeps them motivated and disciplined to be consistent in their program and induces a neurophysiological biochemical state in the body maximally conducive to healing and minimally conducive to problems ranging from bone infections to reflex sympathetic dystrophy. And guess what, when you do an X-ray, you’ll find that individual is healing in half the time or less. So yes, mindset will come into play even with something as tangible as a fracture.

If the People’s Bank of China didn’t artificially suppress the value of the Chinese currency and if the Fed didn’t artificially inflate the value of the dollar, corporations wouldn’t have an incentive to sole source their manufacturing in China.

Hi Mark, corporations moved manufacturing to China to enjoy the cheap labor and poor environmental protections. Since the cost of bunker fuel driven transport was negligible, this wage arbitrage worked well for them. Those days are numbered in my opinion.

Their currency should have risen as a result which was prevented from happening.

Full Spectrum Survival video with practical steps and improvised inexpensive personal protective equipment (PPE) when commercial PPE is not available or affordable.
QUARANTINE. FOLLOW THIS STEP TO STAY ALIVE DURING AN OUTBREAK.
https://youtu.be/oeH6r_SHloc

Here a comment on the video from 15 feb where there was a table with smokers/ex-smokers/current smokers.
I would like to suggest what the data means:
Of the non-smokers: 85% non-severe, 15% severe
of the ex-smokers: 50% non-severe, 50% severe.
of the current smokers: 70% non-severe, 30% severe.

I am glad I don’t smoke.

‘Black swan’ coronavirus casts its shadow over the global economy

Factory shutdowns

Data company Dun & Bradstreet say an estimated 5 million companies have Chinese suppliers – from Apple, whose supplier Foxconn postponed the reopening of its Shenzhen factory, to food companies Kraft Heinz and PepsiCo, which have closed Chinese factories. The outbreak could barely have come at a worse time for struggling carmakers. Wuhan is a major centre of automotive manufacturing. France’s Renault and Peugeot, Germany’s Volkswagen and BMW, as well as Jaguar Land Rover, Britain’s largest carmaker, have still not reopened factories run with Chinese partners. Honda yesterday postponed the reopening of its Wuhan plant for another week, while Hyundai has shut its huge factory in Ulsan, South Korea, for lack of parts. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/15/coronavirus-black-swan-shadow-global-economy ===========================

Forget Sars, the new coronavirus threatens a meltdown in China’s economy

In a survey of 995 SMEs by academics from Tsinghua and Peking universities, 85 per cent said they would be unable to survive for more than three months under the current conditions. If the disruption goes on long enough, it could trigger a wave of bankruptcy among SMEs, which contribute more than 60 per cent of China’s GDP, 70 per cent of its patents and account for 80 per cent of jobs nationwide. https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3050629/forget-sars-new-coronavirus-threatens-meltdown-chinas-economy ============================

China Vows More Fiscal Support as Virus Roils a Slowing Economy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-16/china-vows-more-fiscal-support-as-virus-roils-a-slowing-economy ===========================

Singapore plans massive budget stimulus to counter virus threat

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/16/business/singapore-budget-stimulus-coronavirus-covid19/#.XkkgqI7YrnE

======================

Coronavirus: Hong Kong may see biggest ever budget deficit next financial year amid ‘tsunami-scale blow’ caused by public health crisis, finance chief warns

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/3050860/coronavirus-hong-kong-may-see-biggest-ever-budget

===================

Cost of China's anti-virus fight rises with workers idle

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/16/business/china-coronavirus-covid19-fight-cost-workers/#.Xkkhbo7YrnE

=====================

1000 Genomes Project

This meme is based on solid SARS research.
Hong Kong SARS Graph daily SARS cases - daily mean temperature
But airconditioning could be interfering.
In countries such as Singapore and Hong Kong where there is a intensive use of air-conditioning, transmission largely occurred in well-air-conditioned environments such as hospitals or hotels. Further, a separate study has shown that during the epidemic, the risk of increased daily incidence of SARS was 18.18-fold higher in days with a lower air temperature than in days with a higher temperature in Hong Kong [24] and
other regions [15–17]. Taken together, these observations may explain why some Asian countries in tropical area (with high temperature at high relative humidity) such as Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand did not have nosocomial outbreaks of SARS (Tables 1 and 2(a)–2(c)). It may also explain why Singapore, which is also in tropical area (Table 2(d)), had most of its SARS outbreaks in hospitals (air-conditioned environment). Interestingly, during the outbreak of SARS in Guangzhou, clinicians kept the windows of patient rooms open and well ventilated and these may well have reduced
virus survival and this reduced nosocomial transmission.

In the latest video that Chris presented he shows some smoking data that appears to show that smoking has little effect on the severity of the disease.
If you look at the data 85% of patients claim to be non smokers.
However, there is ample evidence that 60% of Chinese males smoke and 2-3% of Chinese women smoke. ( Various sources easily obtainable online).
So either smoking is protective or the subjects are lying about their smoking.
Why lie? Who knows but maybe they thought they would get better treatment if they were non smokers???
So I think we can ignore that study and be open to the possibility that smoking is a significant risk factor for contracting the disease. At this stage, we do not know.

The whole Brighton cluster of cases, including the ones in France, have recovered after all of them having only mild symptoms:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51514628
No new cases have been reported in Brighton, though it will take at least a couple of weeks to be completely sure that the virus hasn’t spread further.
This said, there are complaints about the handling of contact tracing and advice. It looks like different NHS services have been given different advice:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18237402.coronavirus-clinician-slams-shambolic-handling-outbreak-brighton/
And since some of the people with the virus were healthcare workers that were in contact with sick people, I’d find it surprising if none of those patients were found to have caught the virus. Surely sick people would be more vulnerable. It would be strong evidence in favour of the idea that this virus has a strong preference for Asian Han ethnicity - which is head-scratching, to say the least.

For everybody who lives in the city in apartment buildings to put some plastic or other cover over whatever air ducts / ventilation system you already have. Go with opening a window from now on if you need ventilation.
I was reminded by this because i did so recently myself. The ventilation pumps are broken here (or turned off i don’t know) so it’s just idle air in those shafts. And now that it’s windy outside, every time i hear a gust of wind, i can also hear the plastic expanding, then contracting again when the gust’s past.
That’s the shit that’ll get you in the city, no matter how careful you are about everything else. And considering i’ve got 2 of those openings, 1 in the bathroom but also one in the living room hidden behind the boiler (the one i keep hearing), it’s very easy to forget these exist.
Close them now, because by the time they find a virus case in your building it’ll be too late.

According to the “1000 Genomes Project”, which has released data to the public on this, we see that the ACE-2 cells do seem to make East Asian males more vulnerable. Here is the chart below-

I agree with the posters who point out that the data show increased likelihood of being a severe case if you are a current smoker.
I am reading Stephen Buhner‘s Herbal Antivirals book, and he mentioned that smoking has counterintuitively been linked to a lower chance of a cytokine storm. There are also some herbs that can help here, but no medications have been found to have this effect.
If so, that may explain why prior smokers have the greatest risk of being severe cases (they might have some degree of damage but no benefit from fresh reduction of cytokine-storm-related cytokines). However, their numbers are small in that sample which introduces statistical uncertainty.
I also agree that it’s strange that so many symptomatic patients are non-smokers (I also thought rates of smoking in China were higher than is reflected by the people in that study). They might have been lying, but it’s not so easy to hide that you’re a smoker because your clothes smell like smoke.

https://economics.rabobank.com/publications/2020/february/coronavirus-outbreak-of-uncertainty/
RABO : from bad to unthinkable

I find myself doing a bit of that these days.
We always had a root cellar at Grandma’s. Everything you can imagine stored in there. Bulb’s, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc. Dirt floors, under the house, kind of high tech for something built a century ago.
So I built one for our use. North side of house, multi-vented, shelving, wide variety of racks, semi-underground, compartmentalized to manage temp/humidity, earthen floor as that is the key.
It to will be around for centuries. Just updated construction based on a model built around 1900.

Since it can’t be contained I suspect governments will just end the futile quarantine restrictions. It is the quarantine that is destroying China’s economy, not the deaths which are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
1-2% death rate, while terrible for those that die, isn’t going to end the world and it seems non asians are less susceptible. At this point I’d say the quarantine hysteria has done more damage and disruption than the actual virus has.
Once factories start to reopen this will provide good news to the markets. Money printing will have done its job and it will be back to BAU, for now, as the elites clearly dont want the crash to happen yet. The world will just lose maybe 1% of its population which economically is much less impact than shutting everything down for quarantine, which wouldn’t be effective anyways.
All that pent up money from the stimulus will flood the markets with the good news and AAPL will soon be back on its track to $400, $500 and beyond. I predict new highs early next week.
But of course I could be wrong.

Let’s try this:

• January 5 - 4 cases.
  • February 14: ~64 cases (4 doublings)
20 days/ 4 doublings = 5 days/doubling.