Why Covid-19 Demands Our Full Attention

The ACE2 1000 Genome chart, I can only find on Pinterest with no reference. Data making up the chart appears to be from the 1000 Genome database, that is real thing (and highly useful database I use almost daily). I tried searching Google Scholar with the 6 rsid#s numbers mentioned and did not get a single hit for all six appearing together in a paper. That is highly unusual. Normally google scholar returns hundreds to tens of thousands of papers in a keyword search with rsid#s. This search was nada, zilch, zero. These rsid#s indeed represent mutations in the ACE2 gene (that codes for receptor for the nCoV spike protein). These mutations may represent some alteration in how ACE2 is expressed, but no one has systematically studied them as to how they effect the functionality and expression of ACE2 across all populations. This kind of research is what I spend every working day with: and this chart is meaningless in presenting any risk as based on ethnicity and a percentage of people who possess 6 mutations in a gene…….

…..Because: it is very clear from auick review of the literature that there does not exist even a single putative functional variant in ACE2 at this time. Basically that means scientists don’t understand how mutations in this gene effect its activity and/or expressions: either through altered mRNA, deletion of a transcription or repression site, changes to enzyme stability, changes to its catalytic site or Km, etc. In short, mutations effect enzymes in many different ways. The vast majority of mutations to do not effect enzymes at all. At this stage of research, it is more about genome wide association studies (bias eye view of all chromosomes to find areas of interest) to fine mapping of a gene locus (zooming in a gene to look at it alone, not the whole human genome) to start finding what are called “tag” single nucleotide polymorphisms or SNPs, that tag/or are connected to the true underlying functional variant. Even then, there can be more than one functional variant, and understanding how these in combination effect an enzyme is studied through haplotype analysis. The science for this and ACE2 is in its infancy. That Pinterest chart is meaningless in my opinion, as a population frequency chart compliled by adding up alleles from 6 mutations gives you no idea how they are effecting the activity (gain or loss or no change) to an enzyme.

I understand there would be interest in ACE2 mutations given its connection to SARS. Chinese researchers investigated that already after the SARS outbreak and concluded: ACE2 gene polymorphisms do not affect outcome of severe acute respiratory syndrome.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15331509

We therefore conclude that although ACE2 serves functionally as the receptor for entry of the SARS coronavirus into human host cells, the evidence provided by this study does not support an association between its common genetic variants and SARS susceptibility or outcome. Despite its X-chromosome location, poor outcomes in male SARS patients do not appear to be related to genetic variants of ACE2.

Chinese researchers did look at other mutations in other genes that might effect susceptibility/severity of SARS and found both negative and positive associations (SNPs that increased risk or seem to offer to offer protection) with SNPs in

Interferon gamma: https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2334-6-82

Human-leukocyte antigen classes https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21958371

Il-18 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16652313

IL-1A PMID : 21958371

RelB (reticuloendotheliosis viral oncogene homolog B) PMID : 21958371

FGL2 (fibrinogen-like protein 2) PMID : 21958371

That is all the research I could find on SARS and genetic mutations, but not an exhaustive search.

It is too early to say if these same associations will hold true for Covid 19. It only shares 80% of genetic similarity with SARS. That 20% of difference could turn out too be hugely important it how it interacts with our immune system. Already doctors in China have made the observation that COvid provokes a different cytokine storm than SARS. Meaning, the cascade of inflammatory chemokine, interleukins, etc is made up of different molecules. For example: “Interleukin 17 blockade might benefit those patients who have a 2019-nCoV infection and increased plasma concentration of interleukin 17. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32035018

Asians do have a increased incidence (30ish %) well known functional SNP in the IL-gene that dramatically unregulated IL-17 as compared to Caucasians (12ish%) so this would be an obvious angle to investigate, IMO.

There has been just published a non peer reviewed paper (Profiling the Immune Vulnerability Landscape of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus) and authors concluded Asians may be at increased risk due to T and B cell epitope differences. https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202002.0167/v1

Only time and more research will tell if there are some genetic mutations that make more people/ethnicities that help or harm in regards to Covid 19.

Claire

By age:

• 0-14: 1 severe case out of 9 in that age bracket (11%)
  • 15-49: 67/557: 12%
  • 50-64: 51/292: 17.5%
  • 65+: 73/459: 16% (< 50-64 group despite large sample- raises question).
50+ is at about 50% greater risk of hospitalization compared to under 50. By smoking history:
  • nonsmoker: 134/927: 14.5%
  • ex-smoker: 9/21: 43% (small sample)
  • smoker: 29/137: 21%
So smoking increases your risk of being severe by ~50% compared to nonsmokers - not huge, but significant. It's interesting that the severe case rates are higher in Wuhan - perhaps because these patients were infected earlier or maybe because the initial infection involves a larger load of virus? Any data on when each group was infected?

I would be interested in an interview with Dr. Weiler https://jameslyonsweiler.com/2020/02/16/more-on-the-ace2-related-asian-covid-19-susceptibility-hypothesis/

Yeah, Chris would you be willing to interview this guy?

I think we need to put this one to rest. There are Caucasians with this. I do not see how, we should concerns ourselves with this - because even if a modest difference, its not going to stop Caucasians from getting sick or dying. The smoking thing has also been disproved. lets stop saying this only kills old people or sick people, or it only attacks on race - blah blah… This is crazy… of course people with health issues can be more vulnerable, but actually the older population did better with the H1N1. we did not see a great difference in deaths among age groups except children seem to do slightly better. but for adults its all the same. and what they call an underlying health condition is not really anything… if you have osteoporisis it wont effect this, if you have diabetes sure… it affects the immunity. But id guess it have to be type 1. asthma or allergies shouldnt kill you as the flu doesnt make you allergic… Id guess you would have to have one heck of issue with that to affect your lungs - more likely the steroidal inhalers compromised immunity. heart disease can be an issue , but it would have to be a lot more than common hypertension… My grandmother had one of those genetic super hypertensions like 300 over 160 type if untreated. She was never sick a day in her life. she lived till 92 and never got an infection or dyed of infection subsequent to her burned out valves. There are direct causes of health issues that cause problems here but , id say the vast majority do not cause problems with this. someone is just wanting to feel good why they should not get it , or if they do , they are not the one who can die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFH9slcxJo

All this talk about ACE 2 receptors just makes my head swim. Once everyone can agree on if they matter or not is there anything we can even do about it?
If someone here wrote, Dear Mr Nairobi, just drink more milk or take vitamin K and your ACE 2 will become resistant to the Wuhan Virus, then I could be much more focused on the subject.
I did quit smoking after Chris’s second to last video though only to learn today that ex-smokers are actually in the highest risk category. LOL!!
Ha ha, does that not just figure? This Covid19 is going to kill me for sure unless I can tune up my ACE receptors fast.

Spoke with 2 doctors that I know
my cousin spoke with a biologist from U of Montana
heres the results
2 MDs, one is a oncologist the other ENT
Both said it’s nothing to worry about. Don’t go to China. It’s just the flu.
The biologist from U of Montana said “the flu has Killed more people”

have people completely lost the ability to think for themselves? There’s a thing called a DENOMINATOR

Especially in countries where (for whatever reason) the virus is less deadly (ie [so far] non-Asian countries), the response will be no quarantine, take the (acceptable?) losses and move on. I’m cynical enough to believe that somewhere in the Deep State there are meetings going on where an actuary is touting the whole idea of letting 2-3% of the elderly population catch COVID-19 and perish – “It’ll save us $X billion dollars in entitlements [sic] this year alone, and $17X over the next decade! Think how many cruise missiles that’ll buy!”
Even if people voluntarily hunker down out of fear, the gov won’t let the economy slow. Stimulus here, stimulus there (heck, it’s an election year, maybe UBI [special pandemic “limited-edition”] gets a test run for a few months?), keep things propped up. What’s that old expression from Saudi about the camel’s nose and the tent?
As we saw from WHO’s early response, damn the human cost, the ECONOMY’s the thing to protect.
If real helicopter money comes, better have some shiny metal tucked away. Or your cryptocurrency of choice. Or both…
VIVA anyway! – Sager

If it goes - we all go with it.
Millions die if the Economy goes. MILLIONS.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/cruises/2020/02/06/coronavirus-concerns-how-sanitize-your-cruise-ship-cabin/4669279002/
Ok that works until the first housekeeping person enters the room, or you exit and go out onto the rest of the ship.

Hi Sparky1, thanks for the link to the video about “20 items to get” while you still can. There were a couple of good reminders in there (I still need a humidifier!)
In reading through the video’s comments, there was one in particular that caught my attention: “…echinacea, when taken everyday will reek havoc on the liver”. (They also said elderberry at first, but someone else discounted that).
I know I -and maybe others here?- have started drinking echinacea tea once or twice a day to boost my immune system. But if drinking it for too long can be harmful, that’s certainly something to be aware of.
I did a quick search, and saw some mentions linking echinacea and liver problems. Here’s one thing I found on it :

Using echinacea for longer than 8 weeks at a time might damage your liver or suppress your immune system. Herbalists recommend not to take echinacea if you are taking medicines known to affect your liver. ...
Then the same article seems to somewhat contradict itself, saying:
Some herbalists say you shouldn’t take echinacea for longer than 8 weeks. This is due to possible side effects. But a study in Cardiff in 2012 seemed to show that it is safe to take for up to 4 months.
However, most articles on echinacea don't mention this at all. So there seems to be some lack of clarity on the issue. I'm hoping some of our folks here who are knowledgeable in herbal medicine can help weigh in on this?      

Not only do your clothes smell but your breath and skin smell as well. And the smell doesn’t go away quickly once you stop smoking. I remember a patient who reported in her medical history that she was a non-smoker. Yet each time I worked with her, I smelled the smell of a smoker. Since smoking was relevant to her problem, I asked her directly if she was a smoker. She replied that she was not. I then asked her if she lived or worked with smokers and she also denied that. Since I kept smelling the smell, I asked her about it on several subsequent occasions to the point where I could tell she was beginning to get annoyed. Finally though, she admitted that she had been a smoker in the past but stopped a few years previously. Her body was still out-gassing the smell years later. If you’re a smoker of any significance, you can’t hide it from someone with an acute sense of smell. And if you smoked for any significant length of time, especially if you are a woman (with a normally higher pitched voice than a male), your voice will most likely tell the tale as well.

What I have read is that Echinacea, 3x/day for 3 days is most effective. After that, a ‘cooling off period’ of at least 3 days as the body begins to down-regulate the immune response after that.
That’s hearsay; I have no studies. Logical, however.
The Cancer Research webpage link has the standard language we-officially-don’t-know-one-way-or-another (implying that you should listen to your allopathic physician and take their poison pills because-they-said-so and not because they are actually better for you than herbal approaches) like all other charities accepting government funding. Too much drinking water is bad for your kidneys, too.

Just discovered this thoughtful website. Here’s a link to his current stuff pertinent to our discussions:
http://psandman.com/index-infec.htm?__s=zx8abnfaxcgegsmbdukr#corona

Nice summary here:
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/lew-olowski-coronavirus-worse-than-reported-heres-how-china-is-making-the-situation-worse

Laurie Garrett—There are several youtube videos and text interivews online featuring Ms. Garrett. They are well worth watching and reading. The youtube video doesn’t get into bio-engineering until the last part of the video. She highlights the benefits of human directed evolution and then discusses the downside…lab leaks, bio-terrorism, etc…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDNfLnUOYY

Funeral homes looking for help:
https://www.naturalnews.com/2020-02-16-chinese-funeral-homes-offering-workers-143-an-hour-stack-dead-bodies.html
Coverup of group infections at banquet gathering
https://www.theepochtimes.com/wuhan-neighborhood-infected-with-coronavirus-after-families-attend-banquet_3238635.html

No thanks! I don’t think paying for the privilege of having to do that is worth it at all. My house, yes. But no cabins!

Speaking of actuaries, have you guys read Gail Tverberg’s take on the virus over there on our Finite world? Basically, she says let it burn, clean out the deadwood, the elderly, the weak. This is nature’s way of cleaning house. Don’t fight it, don’t even worry that much about masks, the response to the outbreak could cause more problems that the actual virus. Ouch!